2022 National Football League

Started by The PRO, January 26, 2022, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Suppose a new thread needed for this.
Off to Ardee on Sunday. An away win is always difficult at this time of year so trying not to get my expectations up too much after a decent O'Byrne Cup campaign.

Spiritof86

Tough start Sunday . Louth will be well up for this I'd imagine . If we continue and improve  the intensity we showed the past couple of weeks we will be  very competitive Sunday .
Interesting to see will Dillon, P Kingston and P OSullivan be involved at the weekend. I think one of the biggest questions is who will cement the goalkeeper position. Up for grabs i think .

Ballybrittas Boy

v Louth Jan 30 at 2pm in Ardee
v Westmeath Feb 6 at 2pm in Portlaoise
v Fermanagh Feb 19 at 6pm in Enniskillen
v Antrim Feb 26 at 6pm in Portlaoise
v Wicklow Mar 13 at 2pm in Aughrim
v Limerick Mar 19 at 7pm in Portlaoise
v Longford Mar 27 at 2pm in Portlaoise

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Ballybrittas Boy on January 26, 2022, 02:11:00 PM

All winnable. All losable. Nice few Portlaoise outings.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Ballybrittas Boy on January 26, 2022, 02:11:00 PM

I like the way we are motoring as per the O'Byrne cup, if we keep the work rate up I reckon we will get 10 points from those games.

County Man

Looking forward to the league campaign ahead. Should be a very competitive league where results could go either way. Best of luck to the lads.

Great brand of football played v Dublin. Great to see Billy Sheehan actively encouraging the players from the touchline. Full back line very solid and mobile. Bolger in goals was composed and kicked a 45. Finn did very well in midfield. Forwards worked hard at causing problems and overall great hunger in the team.

Louth away under Mickey Harte will be a tough nut to crack. Promoted from division 4, they will be eager to get points on the table. We don't have a great recent record against them. League defeats in both 2019 and 2017, a heavy championship defeat to them in 2013 and also a draw that year in the league. Our last league or championship victory against Louth was in the Leinster championship in 2009.

Expect a tight tussle on Sunday. Prediction! A draw. 

Unlaoised

Mickey Harte will have a few tricks up the sleeve no doubt .

I expect a tough game with little in it .

I hope a few players like Finn ,O Carroll and O Flynn have all recovered from their heavy knocks as they have been excellent in the games so far .

I'd expect Johnno to have a tough day as Harte loves a tactic of a different style number 11 ,I hope Laois dont fall for it and match up accordingly while holding position
LAOIS ABÚ

The PRO

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 28, 2022, 08:11:16 AM
I'd expect Johnno to have a tough day as Harte loves a tactic of a different style number 11 ,I hope Laois dont fall for it and match up accordingly while holding position
If Sam Mulroy is fit, I'd expect him to start at 11. Quite a handful. He's as good as Donie Kingston and a younger version too.

Heshs Umpire

I'd say I'm one of very few if any posters here who've been in the grounds in Ardee previously. We played a Leinster intermediate club game there in 2018 (and won too, so a good omen). It's a nice ground with a decent stand, maybe a bit smaller than the one in Portarlington.
Be brilliant if we could start off on a winning note on Sunday after a very useful O'Byrne Cup. But it's always tough to win away in the league. Hopefully, a few of the injuries we had last week are clearing up. Dillon is such an important player for one.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Spiritof86

Agree Heshs about Dillon especially when's he's playing  on the half back line . Very dynamic in everything he does . I fancy that half back of himself , Jol and O'Flynn . Lots of tenacity to there game .
Is there terrace in this place Heshs or a grass bank ?

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 28, 2022, 07:08:29 PM
Agree Heshs about Dillon especially when's he's playing  on the half back line . Very dynamic in everything he does . I fancy that half back of himself , Jol and O'Flynn . Lots of tenacity to there game .
Is there terrace in this place Heshs or a grass bank ?
No terrace on far side from stand. Just grass standing area. Can't remember if it was a bank or more level ground.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

SCFC

It's not good news about Paul Kingston. Needs an operation and will miss the whole league.  :(

Jd

Heard that Timmons was in at training the other night. Not sure if he trained but is back in anyway

Junior Ex Laoistalk

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/01/29/laois-senior-football-team-named-for-league-opener-with-louth-in-ardee/

Team named for tomorrow:

Danny Bolger (Graiguecullen)
James Kelly (St Joseph's)
Trevor Collins (Graiguecullen)
Alex Mohan (Portarlington)
Sean O'Flynn (Courtwood)
John O'Loughlin (Rosenallis)
Gareth Dillon (Portlaoise)
Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise)
James Finn (Ballyfin)
Brian Byrne (Graiguecullen)
Eoin Lowry (Killeshin)
Paddy O'Sullivan (Portarlington)
Mark Barry (O'Dempsey's)
Evan O'Carroll (Crettyard)
Sean Moore (Ballyfin)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Smellyball

Word on the street is Moore injured, Foster might start.