Club football managers 2022

Started by The PRO, December 16, 2021, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Jason Ryan to Graiguecullen is a big appointment. Ballyfin have gone for ex Mountmellick player Shane Conlon. And Barrowhouse have brought in an Athy man, James Eaton who I know nothing about!

The PRO

Pat Ryan is back for another stint with Emo.

Spiritof86

Big coup for PortArlington . Looks like Anthony Cunningham is new football manager .

SCFC

Must be pucks of money floating around. The likes of Jason Ryan, Anthony Cunningham and the Garrigan/Wall ticket don't come cheap.

Spiritof86

How many former inter county managers operating in Laois now , Ryan at Graigue , Cunningham at Port , Sugrue at Park ...?

The Saint

Quote from: Spiritof86 on December 12, 2022, 01:17:04 PM
How many former inter county managers operating in Laois now , Ryan at Graigue , Cunningham at Port , Sugrue at Park ...?

Mick Dempsey St Josephs

portlaoisekid

Fair play to Port, if you going to pay big bucks then pay it to someone who is worth it.

Pugwash

It really is mind blowing that so many clubs would rather shell out €10,000 - €20,000 a year on a manager than try to develop coaches from within their own club. Never mind neglecting their underage teams and leaving many coaches with the bare minimum in terms of resources like cones, bibs, footballs etc.

I wouldn't mind if you traveled the length and breath of the county, the vast majority of these sessions ran by most of these coaches are still using archaic methods.

The standard of club football in Laois is woeful for the most part, mainly due to young players being neglected of proper coaching at underage level at their local club. It beggars believe why clubs aren't doing the opposite, i.e pouring resources into their underage teams as opposed to their senior team.

Laois fan

Don't agree at all the likes of port/ ballyroan have got in high profile managers as they want to win a Leinster /Laois championship .But to say they have neglected there underage is bshit  both clubs have also hired full time gdos this year and also have been two of the stronger underage clubs the last few years

Laois man

Best of luck with teams bringing in high profile managers but Portlaois could be the team to beat next year.

SCFC

Quote from: Pugwash on December 14, 2022, 02:03:09 PM
It really is mind blowing that so many clubs would rather shell out €10,000 - €20,000 a year on a manager
A lot more than €20k reportedly involved in the Port and BA management teams!

Chrimtain

Quote from: Laois fan on December 14, 2022, 08:23:27 PM
Don't agree at all the likes of port/ ballyroan have got in high profile managers as they want to win a Leinster /Laois championship .But to say they have neglected there underage is bshit  both clubs have also hired full time gdos this year and also have been two of the stronger underage clubs the last few years

I think Portarlington's underage performance this year has been disappointing. A case of taking their eye off the ball, perhaps?

Jd

I wouldn't necessarily sat the eye is off the ball at all in port. Sometimes you just have a barren spell when it comes to different teams. Port minors will prob produce 2 or 3 senior players from their minor team . They had 3 laois minors last year and naybe 2 this year Same with u20. If they can keep getting one or two every year and integrate  them into current teams theyll be fine. Ballyroan are on a full rebuild as fas as I can see nad placing massive hope on a bunch of players that have won a lot throughout underage. But I'd suuggest that it will be a few years yet before them lads mature enough as a group to start winning seniors. I hope they have the patience to wait cos it will eventually happen

clonadmad

Quote from: SCFC on December 15, 2022, 10:42:40 AM
Quote from: Pugwash on December 14, 2022, 02:03:09 PM
It really is mind blowing that so many clubs would rather shell out €10,000 - €20,000 a year on a manager
A lot more than €20k reportedly involved in the Port and BA management teams!

More £ than € in the case of Ballyroan?

Pugwash

Quote from: Laois fan on December 14, 2022, 08:23:27 PM

My point was in general hence why I didn't name check any particular club, which I thought was pretty obvious.

The standard of the Laois Senior Championship at the moment is very poor, yet the majority of our clubs continue to spend ridiculous amounts of money on managers instead of investing in youth structures and infrastructure. Surely the main priority of every club should build from the ground up and not the other way around? When Laois were doing brilliantly at underage level in the late 90s, look at the knock on effect it had on our senior team? We were going toe to toe with the best sides in the country and our Senior Championship was imo a very good product too which helped.

A lot of clubs were just unlucky that Portlaoise for the best part of a decade were a once in a lifetime side, so unfortunately there wasn't a greater spread of county titles won by other clubs. But it still didn't take anything away from better the standard was back then compared to now.

Look at our flagship team, who are going to be in Division 4 alongside London, Carlow, Wicklow etc. An embarrassment but it's where we deserve to be.

Laois as a county are probably 10-15 years away from ever being truly competitive at senior intercounty level again and I reckon our Senior Championship is years off being what one could deem as a good product.

It's very much like the Irish Soccer Team, years of neglect at grassroots has caught up with them. Yet, while the rest of Europe had teams evolving with modern trends, our Senior Team were stuck in the dark ages.