O'Byrne Cup 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2021, 12:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Who would be a Laois GAA supporter?  :-\

Smellyball

Shocking result, would be acceptable for hurling... not football.
Can't find any match report or lineup anywhere.

on the hop

Quote from: Smellyball on January 08, 2022, 04:20:16 PM

The Laois Today blog had the two teams, one in each half

Smellyball

Niall Corbett, Adam Campion, Trevor Collins, Conal Brennan; Sean O'Flynn, John O'Loughlin, Brian Byrne; James Finn, Brian Daly; Dylan Kavanagh, Dylan Doyle, Paddy O'Sullivan; Mark Barry, Evan O'Carroll, Sean Moore

town1980

I won't comment until I see them Wednesday night but it doesn't look good reading unfortunately but early early days

clonadmad

and theres the issue right there

some in the Football Fraternity labouring under the impression that football in the county is better than what it actually is

The Footballers got torn apart by a Division 4 Team today

Thats the level they are at

SCFC

Early days I suppose but that was very worrying. Very few bright spots. Torn apart at the back in the first half leaving it very difficult for the second half team.
James Finn showed well in first half as did Mark Barry. Sean O'Flynn very energetic as always. Sean Moore had a few little flashes.
Second half as I said was a bit of a washout as the game was already over. Gary Walsh tried hard and Gareth Dillon improved things a bit.
Would be unfair to name lads but a few were very out of their depth. Kickout strategy was miles behind Wexford's. May not have been Corbett's fault.
We looked miles behind Wexford in strength and fitness levels but to be fair we had a lot of players 5 or 6 weeks into their inter county career. 
Hope to see a better game plan Wednesday night.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2022, 06:48:29 PM

some in the Football Fraternity labouring under the impression that football in the county is better than what it actually is

Sounds like you are waiting a lifetime to say that, I think it's counter productive to get into basically how bad the other is.   Neither are in a particularly good place.

As I have said for a long time now we won't solve anything till we look at the foundations of which we are built on but nobody seems to want to get into that. 

P.S Can't say I did not see yesterday coming and there will be more pain.

Quote from: Smellyball on October 09, 2021, 07:44:30 PM
If only the world knew that all the oracle's of football reside in the Laois GAA forum, there would never be a mistake made.
For people to post in here that Sheehans appointment is doomed to failure is ridiculous.
He probably wouldn't have been my first choice but I don't claim to to foresee the future and know it won't end well.
Perhaps part of the problem in Laois is all the whingeing and moaning that goes on in the background. An appointment has been made, if the county got behind the team the chances of success may improve.
For those claiming this is an awful appointment - out of interest, who was the last manager you were happy with when they were announced?
Quote from:  BallyroanAbu on Oct 10th 2021, 2:47:59 AM
Happy to oracle it, complete shit show but the definition of madness is to repeat the same thing and expect different results.  We can do better,  Jesus they have dragged us to a point where we think we deserve it.

Pugwash

The O'Byrne is a pre season tournament, a blank canvas to try players out in new positions, to blood young players, experiment with tactics etc. Results in these type of competitions are irrelevant and if anything shipping a big defeat to Wexford (conceding 6 goals in the process) will mean the management/players will have learned a hell of a lot.

Laois are now firmly in transition, we need to accept that it will likely get worse, if not a lot worse before it will get better. We're at a very low ebb, so ignore short-termism and lets focus on mini victories or little gains. I don't mean results either btw, I mean the implementation of new tactics/brand of football, the emergence of new young players who may well catch the eye, an increased professionalism with a long term plan in place etc.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Pugwash on January 09, 2022, 01:13:26 PM
The O'Byrne is a pre season tournament, a blank canvas to try players out in new positions, to blood young players, experiment with tactics etc. Results in these type of competitions are irrelevant and if anything shipping a big defeat to Wexford (conceding 6 goals in the process) will mean the management/players will have learned a hell of a lot.

Laois are now firmly in transition, we need to accept that it will likely get worse, if not a lot worse before it will get better. We're at a very low ebb, so ignore short-termism and lets focus on mini victories or little gains. I don't mean results either btw, I mean the implementation of new tactics/brand of football, the emergence of new young players who may well catch the eye, an increased professionalism with a long term plan in place etc.

So when is this happening ?  I suppose I am trying to be smart but transition would be great if I could firmly see any plan to go forward.  There isn't and I am not sure anybody has the appetite or foresight to do this,  hopefully I am wrong. 

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2022, 06:48:29 PM

I read that as it's more acceptable to lose by that margin in hurling than football not the way you did.
Anyway, I really doubt there are very few from the "football fraternity" who think our football team are currently anything other than in a bad way. We've haemorrhaged players from last year's squad and have seen countless lads turn down Sheehan's invite to play. I'll be thrilled if we stay up, beat Wicklow in championship and maybe win a game or two in the second tier championship.
It was a tough day for the lads who are on board yesterday. Not many bright spots. James Finn looks a good addition. And good to see his clubmate Sean Moore playing the full game. The more county football he gets, the better. Mark Barry was good too. He knows where the posts are. Hopefully we'll see a few more faces Wednesday night and also next Saturday.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Laois Rising

One game in early January and the knives already out. Can we give Billy a little time and lets judge things after 3 or 4 league games. Of the 20 or so new faces, our best hopes is that 4 or 5 of these younger players can step up to the mark of intercounty football, the likes of Paul Kingston, Evan Carroll, Trevor Collins etc peak as intercounty footballers and some of the old guard-Donie Kingston, Kieran Lillis and John O'Loughlin provide the necessary leadership needed. If he can achieve that, we should be competitive in division 3 (without necessarily winning promotion).

Joeythelips

Obviously a dreadful result, but as people are rightly stating it is only a pre season tournament. I guess the main issue is that we can see now why previous management teams were so dependent on our elder squad members. That would be the main worry from this in Billy and his team are trying to unearth a couple of players who may be able to reach the required standard and a hammering like that does not bode well.
Still it's a new management set up so will take time but not long until the league starts and that is when they will really be judged.