The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: seafoid on February 17, 2023, 07:10:28 PM
Why are there 2 clubs in Arles ?

How long have you got? Short version, there was a split/breakaway over a field (no Americans involved) and/or certain families don't get on. One club won.a senior championship and the other didn't, which ensured the chances of getting back together disintegrated.  It makes sense to the people involved...

Laois man

:if both clubs had off being together they had some team. Down the line can they stay going with small numbers?

Spiritof86

Only a matter time before there is an amalgamation over there . Diminishing numbers and a willingness to compete at senior level will ensue that . Killeen's luck will run out eventually and Kilcruise reliance on a couple of aging players will make it hard for them to get out of intermediate.

Butch Cassidy

Anyone at the u20 match? Rossies always strong at underage level so another encouraging result

georgedoylesrightleg

nair a post about u20s and they 2 games into cship, if they were losin we'd hear all bout it. mixed good with bad last night but theyre a good bunch and i'd have good hopes for lot of htem.

Spiritof86

Missed the first 15 mins . Longford came back strong end of first half and again after half time . In fairness to our lads they stuck  at it and rattled off 4-5 points in a row . Like the look of a good few of them . That Costello lad is baller and Fingleton at Centre back is very decent footballer.
Meath next week will be interesting. Think it's in OMP again !?

Laoiseabu

Anyone have any idea what the minor footballers are like this year ? I seen the panel named last night

SCFC

Obviously Billy's not gone yet but it's hard to see how he could be kept on for a third year.
Just saw where David Power stepped down as Tipp manager and I'd say we could do a lot worse than him if we were looking for a new manager.
In Tipp, his hands were always tied by the sheer dominance of hurling in the county. Even then he did a really fine job including that famous Munster title three years ago.

redsetanta

We're as well off keeping it in-house at the moment,

There isn't much point in spending money on an outside manager to keep hings ticking over.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

Quote from: SCFC on June 07, 2023, 03:04:31 PM
Obviously Billy's not gone yet but it's hard to see how he could be kept on for a third year.
Just saw where David Power stepped down as Tipp manager and I'd say we could do a lot worse than him if we were looking for a new manager.
In Tipp, his hands were always tied by the sheer dominance of hurling in the county. Even then he did a really fine job including that famous Munster title three years ago.

Power had lads with minor all irelands medals won in 2011,another set of minors beaten in the 2016 minor final,a team beaten by Tyrone in an u21 All Ireland and senior players beaten in 2 all ireland football semifinals by Mayo in 5 years to work with

Plus provincial winners in 2020

We don't have that level  of players plus Tipp would have a bigger pick of footballers than what we have

Even allowing for the fall off in Tipperary's fortunes due to retirements etc it would be a hard sell to entice him up from Clonmel given the state we are in at the minute

Joeythelips

Quote from: clonadmad on June 08, 2023, 03:59:57 PM
Quote from: SCFC on June 07, 2023, 03:04:31 PM

Power had lads with minor all irelands medals won in 2011,another set of minors beaten in the 2016 minor final,a team beaten by Tyrone in an u21 All Ireland and senior players beaten in 2 all ireland football semifinals by Mayo in 5 years to work with

Plus provincial winners in 2020

We don't have that level yet of players plus Tipp would have a bigger pick of footballers than what we have

Even allowing for the fall off in Tipperary's fortunes due to retirements etc it would be a hard sell to entice him up from Clonmel given the state we are in at the minute

Yep, Laois need an upcoming person who wants to make a name for themselves given our low rating currently. Its not a prefect task picking someone like that as Im sure Billy would have ticked a lot of boxes in that regard for example.

Laois Rising

What was so impressive about that Tipperary All-ireland winning minor team was the calibre of the Dublin side that they defeated in the final. That Dublin minor team comprised of players such as Robbie McDaid, Lowndes, Small, McCaffrey, Costello, Kilkenny, Mannion, Davy Byrne and Niall Scully who have been all key figures for Dublin over the last decade. Power was the manger of that team as well and worked on development squads prior to this bringing these players along.

Laois could do with someone of his ilk coming in and working to get the underage structures right and bring players through to senior. I cannot see any stand out internal candidates to take on the Laois senior job- perhaps Kinsella but while his record is good its not exceptional either. If Billy can pull a result at the weekend and put in a decent showing in a Tailteann Cup quarter final I wouldn't be surprised if he was to get one more year in the job. The argument could be made that he has had to deal with a high turnover or players and that he has blooded several new players and it will take another year to see the benefits of this bear fruit.   

Blow-in

Thanks Billy

Quote from: Laois Rising on June 08, 2023, 04:57:54 PM
What was so impressive about that Tipperary All-ireland winning minor team was the calibre of the Dublin side that they defeated in the final. That Dublin minor team comprised of players such as Robbie McDaid, Lowndes, Small, McCaffrey, Costello, Kilkenny, Mannion, Davy Byrne and Niall Scully who have been all key figures for Dublin over the last decade. Power was the manger of that team as well and worked on development squads prior to this bringing these players along.

Laois could do with someone of his ilk coming in and working to get the underage structures right and bring players through to senior. I cannot see any stand out internal candidates to take on the Laois senior job- perhaps Kinsella but while his record is good its not exceptional either. If Billy can pull a result at the weekend and put in a decent showing in a Tailteann Cup quarter final I wouldn't be surprised if he was to get one more year in the job. The argument could be made that he has had to deal with a high turnover or players and that he has blooded several new players and it will take another year to see the benefits of this bear fruit.

Tier2

There is no argument to be made

Spiritof86

Quote from: Batman!!! on June 08, 2023, 10:43:37 PM

Thanks Billy

Lol . Sheehans ship sailed a while ago . In fairness for a man working for next to nothing he gave it his  all . He's just not an inter country manager .