The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbbey

Completely agree about the schools with exception of Knockbeg there seems to be little to no emphasis on schools football in Laois
We need to have the CBS in Portlaoise and Portarlington either competitive in the A or winning B competitions, Heywood should be consistently in the B too
Clonaslee and Mountmellic have probably too small a pick but again this is where a combined Laois schools team for schools outside the A  is needed to give lads an opportunity to play at the highest level

A lot of Laois GAA is currently centred around geography unfortunately

SCFC

I'm hearing Leinster Council are possibly considering not allowing those county colleges teams to be entered next school year. But if it is allowed, it would be a good idea for Laois to pursue.

Joeythelips

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on July 03, 2023, 05:41:55 PM
Completely agree about the schools with exception of Knockbeg there seems to be little to no emphasis on schools football in Laois
We need to have the CBS in Portlaoise and Portarlington either competitive in the A or winning B competitions, Heywood should be consistently in the B too
Clonaslee and Mountmellic have probably too small a pick but again this is where a combined Laois schools team for schools outside the A  is needed to give lads an opportunity to play at the highest level

Even with smaller schools, get a good coaching sessions going. It all helps to develop a proper standard then development squads should be able to identify the top players and bring them to an even higher standard. Select ones that have whats required physically to develop into and inter county player. The modern game needs power which can be developed, stamina and speed. Speed for example can be improved a certain amount but most of it is natural, you either have those fast twitch fibres or you don't.

Laois should keep a database of players, keep stats on etc. When players drop off they might find ways of preventing this in the future.

BallyroanAbbey

From what I can see Laois basically left it to the clubs to sort out for a decade and only now are starting to do a bit, it's hard to know weather it's token gestures that will die off or if it's that Offaly who on top of being our neighbours and rivals are actually the closest thing to Laois in terms of clubs, playing numbers, split between hurling and football and they have cleaned themselves up big time, which in itself reflects badly on the Laois county board

Like us they had a 16 team senior football championship, they split it
Invested heavily in underage
Got in major sponsorship to fund these
Sorted out their schools to make them competitive and another player development pathway

The fact that they only scrambled a draw off us this year is proof they were way further down than we were, and that we still have room to drop if it isn't sorted ASAP

But they are also proof that the things being suggested are doable and doable quickly with the right people

Spiritof86

Sheehan stepped down last night .

Laois Rising

It was an inevitable outcome. On reflection, Billy took a job that no one else wanted. He didn't command an extortionate fee like some other outside managers might demand and treated the role like a full time job. He had a philosophy on how football should be played considering the players at our disposal and tried to incorporate that into the Laois team's style of playing. He had some successes-O'Byrne Cup finalists 2022 and championship wins over Wexford, Fermanagh and Limerick. His commitment could not be faulted or questioned.

Granted relegation from division 3 when there were sides weaker than us (on paper) in the division and failure again to gain promotion from division 4 was disappointing. Some horrendous championship performances to boot over the two years as well and his  side line behaviour left a lot to be desired at times.

I know Billy will hold onto his ambitions to manage at intercounty level- perhaps take the learnings of the last two years and return to club level management for 2024 and beyond. Climb the ladder again so to speak.

On separate note- my previous post wasn't against regional sides. My argument was that they would have to be very carefully drawn. If you had one regional team made up of predominantly hurling first clubs you could see how that might run into trouble. If incorporating regional sides and want to improve championship you need all of the regional sides to be strong and have realistic ambitions of competing.

The PRO

You're 100% right about the secondary schools.
However, from talking to guys I know who teach secondary, the biggest issue they have is getting cover for their classes from non- sports minded colleagues when they're trying to arrange games or training.
I know myself when I played at that level, not today or yesterday, training was either at lunchtime or after school finished for the day. And games were often on the weekends.

Jd

I have been in contact with my local school as I was unhappy with the way football teams were going. The biggest problem was getting players to be involved. They had some really good footballers and just could not get them to train or play. I saw it in teams being sent out and there were lads on it who were middling at best. This is in a 1200 pupil school too

clonadmad

Quote from: The PRO on July 04, 2023, 04:56:24 PM

You're 100% right about the secondary schools.
However, from talking to guys I know who teach secondary, the biggest issue they have is getting cover for their classes from non- sports minded colleagues when they're trying to arrange games or training.
I know myself when I played at that level, not today or yesterday, training was either at lunchtime or after school finished for the day. And games were often on the weekends.

You'd wonder how successful schools in other counties manage

Portlaoise CBS has close on 900 boys enrolled, is one of if not the biggest Second Level boys schools in the Country and GAA is on its knees in there.

You have academic years of 150 odd lads in there and 10% might play Schools GAA

Compare and Contrast with their female partner school on the same campus using the same facilities, they feature regularly in Leinster Finals and All Irelands across a number of Sports,Scoil Chriost Ri.

Maybe the secret could be the amount of training they put in, even during the summer months and other Holidays.

steven seagal

Scoil Chríost Rí go around to the local primary schools in June and do a training session with the 6th class girls to see what type of players are coming into them the following September. I think they even take a look at the 5th class kids too, to plan a year ahead. Great commitment in fairness to them, having Critchley involved obviously helps now that he's retired and can give even more time to it, but teaching staff in the school obviously buying in too. I don't think there's any real emphasis put on sport in the CBS, at least from an outsider looking in. 

clonadmad

Quote from: steven seagal on July 05, 2023, 08:57:01 AM
Scoil Chríost Rí go around to the local primary schools in June and do a training session with the 6th class girls to see what type of players are coming into them the following September. I think they even take a look at the 5th class kids too, to plan a year ahead. Great commitment in fairness to them, having Critchley involved obviously helps now that he's retired and can give even more time to it, but teaching staff in the school obviously buying in too. I don't think there's any real emphasis put on sport in the CBS, at least from an outsider looking in.

I've a nephew going into Leaving Cert this year in the CBS

1 example from last year

Football training was sporadic and poor before last Christmas

After Christmas someone came up with the genius idea of having the senior and junior teams train together

So you had lads who were playing club senior football playing on the one pitch v some lads a year out of u13

The older lads were terrified of killing the younger lads and the younger lads were wary of getting in the way of the older lads with the result that a lot in both age groups walked away.

And the Hurling Training was an even bigger Joke.

In any county if you want to develop top level players you need 3 legs

Clubs that are coaching lads to the required level

Then the Schools which are a step up again

And then the development squad system

Laois Rising

Pat Critchley summed it up perfectly in his book. When he went into Scoil Chriost Rí it didn't have a basketball tradition. He worked on establishing it and creating buy in from the pupils and the school. Built it up over the years and then over time you can look back and see that you have created a tradition and one that the school is proud of and wants to maintain. 

CBS Portlaoise should be able to compete at the highest level of Leinster Schools Football with the pick available to them. The backbone of Laois minor teams should be passing through that school. Sadly that is not or no where near the case. You see Naas CBS with probably a similar size in pupils dominating the Leinster Schools the last number of years-no coincidence that Kildare are also competing impressively at minor and U21 level. It is all connected. Granted you need teachers who are willing to commit to giving up lunch times and organising after school training and coaching to ensure teams are run properly-if the school doesn't have those teachers willing to do so then it is not going to happen. Portlaoise CBS winning the South Leinster Colleges Senior Football League 'B' Shield this year in a nonsense final should not be the standard that that school is at. It is 17 years since a Laois side were in a Leinster Schools Final. In that time, schools or combined schools from Wicklow, Louth, Longford, Offaly, a number of stand alone Westmeath and Wexford schools have reached finals along with Kildare, Meath and Dublin schools. It is further example of how football in the county and proper coaching/investment in football has been slipping over a long period of time that has left us pretty much at the bottom of the pile.

Joeythelips

Quote from: clonadmad on July 05, 2023, 10:11:56 AM
Quote from: steven seagal on July 05, 2023, 08:57:01 AM

I've a nephew going into Leaving Cert this year in the CBS

1 example from last year

Football training was sporadic and poor before last Christmas

After Christmas someone came up with the genius idea of having the senior and junior teams train together

So you had lads who were playing club senior football playing on the one pitch v some lads a year out of u13

The older lads were terrified of killing the younger lads and the younger lads were wary of getting in the way of the older lads with the result that a lot in both age groups walked away.

And the Hurling Training was an even bigger Joke.

In any county if you want to develop top level players you need 3 legs

Clubs that are coaching lads to the required level

Then the Schools which are a step up again

And then the development squad system

Yep, we need to work with schools, get coaches in there, promote the bloody game for crying out loud. Kids these days have a myriad of distractions and things to do, we cant expect the love of the game to do the job. The GAA should be sending in county players to give talks, good coaches to run training sessions etc. Create an interest and promote the games.

thegreeenandgold

You do realise the GAA isn't automatically allowed in Schools, not every School wants them.

Spiritof86

You need individuals within the schools to drive and establish connections with students . Portlaoise, Knockbeg, Ballyfin and Heywood were all huge conveyor belts for Laois teams back in the 90s and 2000s . Those college teams were all backed by hard core GAA driven individuals . It's starts with the school and the individuals in charge .

Someone alluded to the fact that not all schools want GAA and that's true . They obviously feel the need to prioritise different programs/agendas etc . The interest has to be there at the top for any progress to be made .
I recall when attending secondary school years ago making the football and hurling teams were always on your mind and competition was fierce . Different times I realise but what percentage of the 900 students in Portlaoise CBS have any real interest in playing GAA with there school ?