Laois Senior Football Championship 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 27, 2020, 11:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heshs Umpire

Laois play Westmeath on 4th July. Win that and there's a semi final on 18th July. And the Leinster final is on 1st August.
The two 2020 SFC semi finals really depend on how Laois get on. Very tough on the four clubs involved.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Laois Rising

I know this may sound extreme but the Leinster Championship is a dead duck and with no back door I would nearly rather see the Laois team pulled from the championship and put priority on finishing the 2020 championship in July and starting the 2021 club championship in early August. I know I'd much rather watch two potentially exciting club semi-finals and county final on my tv than a Leinster championship game that is ultimately meaningless with Dublin over the horizon if you do win. 

redsetanta

I would tend to agree with you Laois Rising
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Laois Rising on May 25, 2021, 02:15:36 PM
I know this may sound extreme but the Leinster Championship is a dead duck and with no back door I would nearly rather see the Laois team pulled from the championship and put priority on finishing the 2020 championship in July and starting the 2021 club championship in early August. I know I'd much rather watch two potentially exciting club semi-finals and county final on my tv than a Leinster championship game that is ultimately meaningless with Dublin over the horizon if you do win.

I thought this was extreme when I read it first. Now having watched Laois v Kildare I agree.

Chrimtain

It would be cowardly of us to give up our place in the Leinster championship. Instead of crazy talk like this, why not work to improve the standard of the game in the county? Things are bad and will, more than likely, get worse. In a province where the standard is low, we are probably amongst the poorest teams. But that doesn't mean we should throw in the towel.

SpeculativeEffort

Unfortunately it looks like our team has thrown in the towel. Scored avg 10 per game for 3 games, conceded avg 20 pts a game. No drive. No leaders. Aging in players right through the spine with no replacements. This team has been roundly criticised in Laois and where is the backlash? Where is the pride? Where is the passion? Zero. We heard that this is the best panel in years in the media. The players dont want the ball unless its an uncontested, sideways or backways pass.

The PRO

I was sent a text before the game was even over saying one thing you can be guaranteed playing Laois is you won't be sore the next day. Zero belts apart from a stupid one by Piggott near the end.

Silkyskillssunshinee

For the two semi-finals I'll go with:

Emo to beat Graiguecullen by 3

Portarlington to beat Ballyfin by 10

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on August 06, 2021, 04:29:07 PM
For the two semi-finals I'll go with:

Emo to beat Graiguecullen by 3

Portarlington to beat Ballyfin by 10

First one is wrong anyway..  Graiguecullen win a thriller by four points.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2021/08/06/brilliant-graiguecullen-on-form-to-book-first-final-place-since-2011/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

town1980

Graigue were brilliant and now favourites in my eyes

Silkyskillssunshinee

Graigue were in total control of that second half, very impressed by them. Brian Byrne is a very good footballer who got on a serious amount of ball and utilised it well throughout. Timmons did a perfect man-marking job on Owens and also scored a great goal himself in the first half.

Padraig Kirwan and Sean Greene showed well for Emo but they needed their more experienced players to play better.

The PRO

Didn't see that result last night. Got to be honest and say I thought Emo would win by 4 or 5.
But I will be amazed if Port don't win tonight and go on to win the final.

portlaoisekid

Fair play to Graigue, I can still only see Port winning it out but wouldn't it be great to see Mark Timmons get his hands on a county winners medal after his years of service ..

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 07, 2021, 09:13:56 AM
Fair play to Graigue, I can still only see Port winning it out but wouldn't it be great to see Mark Timmons get his hands on a county winners medal after his years of service ..

Well said, I don't think anyone in the county would begrudge it to him.
Always a man to give his all for club and county..

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/654995/super-second-half-sees-graiguecullen-book-2020-senior-final-spot-over-emo.html
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The PRO

I think Emo and Ballyfin both suffered badly from the championship not bring finished out as scheduled last year. A huge break and then they came back playing in lower league divisions.
Felt sorry for Ballyfin last night. They could struggle a bit in the 2021 championship.