The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on November 30, 2022, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on November 30, 2022, 12:45:21 PM
It isn't very dignified of a county secretary to be making comments like that in his annual report.

Maybe not but unfortunately what he says is true

Making the question should be asked

Why are well qualified people refusing to go in and help?

It seems a lot of those that do go in are very quickly disillusioned

Underage development squads particularly in hurling are in a very poor state in this couny and I can't see it getting any better anytime soon.

High Fielder

Too easy to blame those who won't volunteer. A ridiculous statement coming from I'm assuming, one of the only well paid employees of Laois GAA. Not that I'm saying it's his fault either, because this issue could never be solved by apportioning blame.

My own opinion is that we are small time. The whole machine of Laois GAA is designed to keep costs down and balance the books. There's no room to employ more coaches, badly needed, or full time employees in the main offices. Also very badly needed. Marketing, admin, website etc. Therefore, if we think small, we are small, and there is no incentive for anyone to go in and volunteer because it's thankless and generally pointless.

We have massive skills shortages across all areas of Laois GAA that in my opinion need financial resourcing, not volunteerism. Where that comes from I have no idea, but that's my take on it.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on December 01, 2022, 10:15:55 AM
Too easy to blame those who won't volunteer. A ridiculous statement coming from I'm assuming, one of the only well paid employees of Laois GAA. Not that I'm saying it's his fault either, because this issue could never be solved by apportioning blame.

My own opinion is that we are small time. The whole machine of Laois GAA is designed to keep costs down and balance the books. There's no room to employ more coaches, badly needed, or full time employees in the main offices. Also very badly needed. Marketing, admin, website etc. Therefore, if we think small, we are small, and there is no incentive for anyone to go in and volunteer because it's thankless and generally pointless.

We have massive skills shortages across all areas of Laois GAA that in my opinion need financial resourcing, not volunteerism. Where that comes from I have no idea, but that's my take on it.

Laois GAA has run a Surplus of over €881,000 the past 2 years.

Why isnt that money being spent prudently and in areas where there will be a return on investment ?

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2021/12/01/laois-gaa-report-surplus-of-over-e500000-in-latest-annual-accounts
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/11/23/laois-gaa-report-surplus-of-over-e370000-in-latest-annual-accounts

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on November 30, 2022, 09:41:57 PM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on November 30, 2022, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on November 30, 2022, 12:45:21 PM
It isn't very dignified of a county secretary to be making comments like that in his annual report.

Maybe not but unfortunately what he says is true

Making the question should be asked

Why are well qualified people refusing to go in and help?

It seems a lot of those that do go in are very quickly disillusioned

Underage development squads particularly in hurling are in a very poor state in this couny and I can't see it getting any better anytime soon.

A bit of personality and manners might help. We had great people involved and they were all basically ran out of it.

SCFC

There's no room to employ more coaches, badly needed, or full time employees in the main offices. Also very badly needed. Marketing, admin, website etc.
As we seem to have a few quid in the bank, I wonder would it be worthwhile for Laois GAA to employ a full time PR and marketing person. Someone good at a job like that could pay for themselves. A part time PRO is almost unrealistic in this day and age.
We seem to struggle to hold on to our coaches. There seems to be a problem retaining the good ones. New coaching officer incoming so hopefully he may bring some new ideas to the job.

Zooming around

Quote from: SCFC on December 02, 2022, 12:22:41 PM
There's no room to employ more coaches, badly needed, or full time employees in the main offices. Also very badly needed. Marketing, admin, website etc.
As we seem to have a few quid in the bank, I wonder would it be worthwhile for Laois GAA to employ a full time PR and marketing person. Someone good at a job like that could pay for themselves. A part time PRO is almost unrealistic in this day and age.
We seem to struggle to hold on to our coaches. There seems to be a problem retaining the good ones. New coaching officer incoming so hopefully he may bring some new ideas to the job.

Who's the new Coaching Officer?

SCFC

Quote from: Zooming around on December 02, 2022, 01:25:07 PM

Alan Langton of Barrowhouse

Laoisred

I know of hurling coach, living in Co Laois. Has won club championships in his native county at Senior, u20, minor level. Has intercounty experience coaching at senior and u20 level. Wrote to county board a couple of years back saying he was willing to help out with a team but never got a reply.

clonadmad

Quote from: Laoisred on December 02, 2022, 09:31:23 PM
I know of hurling coach, living in Co Laois. Has won club championships in his native county at Senior, u20, minor level. Has intercounty experience coaching at senior and u20 level. Wrote to county board a couple of years back saying he was willing to help out with a team but never got a reply.

Look at the numbers of Laois men every year coaching outside the county particularly in Kilkenny and ask why they aren't being retained or enticed to stay in Laois and work with development squads.

Kiely,Donohue,Cahill,Sheedy,Lyng all were involved at underage with their respective counties before they stepped into the big job, but this managerial pathway route seems to be ignored here.

High Fielder

It's incredibly hard to make a name for yourself in Laois. If you have any ambition, it's a real gamble getting involved at any level, simply because all our teams seem to be in decline. Nobody will remember that you worked hard or tried your best. People want winners, and there aren't too many of those in these parts. We find ourselves, at all levels, taking gambles on the unproven, because that's the market we're in.

Who do we blame for the above? Niall Handy says the lack of volunteers. You could turn that on its head and say Laois GAA does not create the right conditions for participation. It's not worth getting involved in. Coaches can't progress. Players can't win anything. Volunteers don't have the time and feel it's pointless. Etc. Etc. The answer probably lies somewhere between the two. It's everybody's fault, including the GAA itself which has made it impossible for Laois and counties like us to compete. We're not the only county in this position. Many of our neighbours are struggling too. Offaly are throwing money at the situation and seem to be getting some results. We don't have the same luxury. We're also, like everyone, fighting the battle against other sports, and with the size of our population, that's a battle we could do without.

You could write a book on this subject. Niall Handy writes his report and we debate on here daily. We've all made up our own minds and all of us think we have a handle on the issue. We probably don't. It's a complex subject.

Laois man

Many new faces in with the senior hurlers I wonder? Wexford on the 8th of January in the walsh Cup I see.

Zooming around

Quote from: SCFC on December 02, 2022, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on December 02, 2022, 01:25:07 PM

Alan Langton of Barrowhouse

What happened? Why did Langton not take up the role?

Laois man

Would it not be a good idea to have a laois schools hurling team manganed by our laois U20 mangerment team. Like we have Mtrath. Rdowney. Heywood. Plaois Mmellick and port with school hurling teams. I see offaly are doing it and building for the U20 Cship.

clonadmad

Quote from: Laois man on December 11, 2022, 11:32:47 AM
Would it not be a good idea to have a laois schools hurling team manganed by our laois U20 mangerment team. Like we have Mtrath. Rdowney. Heywood. Plaois Mmellick and port with school hurling teams. I see offaly are doing it and building for the U20 Cship.

It would be a no brainer to enter a laois schools team in the Leinster A senior schools championship,but there's neither the will or appetite or probably manpower to do it

Schools hurling is rapidly becoming a wasteland in the town of Portlaoise which is a worry not just for the club but also the county.

We will look back fondly on this years Minor Team and their journey to a Leinster final,because given the shambolic setup of the development squads at the younger age grades

It will be a while before we see it again.

Offaly have gotten their act together on so many areas in both codes

Laois man

Agree. Offaly doing a lot of work underage I was at a schools game a few weeks ago and the full offaly U20 mangerment team were there watching the offaly school team. Our county board would need to up the ain't in the underage sector.