The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois man

Best team won on the day Aleix will be very disappointed 6 or 7 of these lads hurled in the senior B final this year. Should be a good final now who ever getting through the other Sfinal.

Home Boys Home

Yes, Camross best team on the day, even though penalty at the end was a bit questionable we can't really have any complaints. I wouldn't say Camross bullied Abbeyleix though, but teams concentrated on hurling and Camross players were better at the basic skills. Only 3 or 4 of Abbeyleix lads performed really. In their defence, with football on Wednesday it was a second game in 4 days on a heavy pitch for most of our lads and been between leinster intermediate and u20 football also going on they haven't really had a chance to get together. Also, the 3 group games together really stood to Camross, our lads just had the one match with Harps.

Anyway, Camross look a good bet for the final, they were probably disappointed how the minor went, so a good shot at redemption for them. Tom Cuddy is going to be some hurler. 

As to the future, Mossy is excellent and definitely one for Laois going forward. From last year's Laois U20 team, I think Fionán Mahony might make it too, along with James Duggan and Ian Shanahan. Philip Tynan, Cillian Dunne, Noah Quinlan and the lads still underage next year might be better off staying with u20s for another year.

mcwregor

I think its important that Willie Maher leaves the u20 panel alone to concentrate on doing well in that competition. I dont believe that any of them would be physically able for senior inter county hurling yet anyway. The u20 panel should be strong (although we said the same about this years team too who were just a fraction off and injuries really didn't help).
Id be bringing in Mossy Keyes, James Duggan, Fionan Mahony, Tadgh Cuddy, Ian Shanahan and Danny Brennan into the senior set up to see how they get on.
The u20s should have a strong panel with a few from this years team available P Tynan, P Brennan, L Obular, N Quinlan, C Dunne, C Comerford, C Murphy
Theres a couple of others that i think are under age and might be worth a look Brian Duggan, Ciaran McKelvey, Padraig Rafter
Throw in B Reilly, T Cuddy, C Flynn, B Murphy, J Quinlan, J Breen, B Deegan, J Pearson and K Byrne off the minors.
Could be missing a few here too

Laois man

Aaron Phelan. Ctown. Conor Fitz Park timahoe Cathal Cuddy camross and a few more out there aswell.

Zooming around

Who will win the U20 Hurling final tomorrow?

Laois man

Hard to know but Camross have to be favourites after beating Alex but if the Harps perform they can win it.

The PRO

Anyone at the 20s final? Good win for The Harps. Can they push on at senior next year?

Laois man

Best team won i think Camross apart from keyes had no scoring forwards harps got a lucky enough goal in the second half and finished strong to win it. A lot of the Harps team would be hurling senior already.

Spiritof1915

Harps were the better team alright in a tight dogged affair. Camross were too reliant on mossy keyes and Dan delaney frees. Lot of young talent in The harps.  They need to make a statement at senior level next year.
Terrible week for Abbeyleix on the other hand. Strong favourites for that u20 championship and went out poorly yesterday. I hope they can still kick on next year. Hurling in Laois needs the likes of Abbeyleix and The Harps to be competing strong at senior level.

Laois man

Shocking week for Alex I said last week after watching them again Camross that they won't win in wicklow with half team hurling yesterday.

mcwregor

Indiscipline has been an issue with laois teams for a long time. Our county team has suffered a lot from red cards in recent years. Indiscipline again put to bed ballacollas hopes of another leinster final appearance. Its a pity as they had a good chance of winning that game today with the carlow champions up next.
Its something that needs addressing with the senior county team too. The way the game is played now you literally have no chance of winning a game with 14 given that possession and keeping the ball is vital. Referees will not give you a second chance either any infringement is a yellow and then you are on thin ice. Anything off the ball even the smallest dig will see you on the line. They are the most frustrating ones. Always needless.

redsetanta

The sending off yesterday certainly didn't help but the two quick goals were the real problem as Crokes always kept Ballcolla at arms lenght.

In saying that they did make a fight of it but it was a big ask.

Willie just has enough of the pulling and dragging he got all afternoon and the game was up at that stage.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

clonadmad

inability to recruit suitable coaches for the inter-county squads has been labelled 'one of the biggest problems in Laois GAA'.

So says secretary Niall Handy who made the comments in his report ahead of Convention.

Mr Handy made the statements during his report on the Minor footballers who struggled this year.

He explained how it was initially difficult to put a management team in place for this group – a problem that he says is all too prevalent.

He says that hundreds of 'suitably qualified' people have been approached to get involved with academy and inter-county panels.

But these people continually turn down the opportunity to come on board.

Mr Handy said: "It is one aspect of the "job" that really disappoints me, whereby on a weekend or maybe a Monday morning, after taking a "beating" at some grade of Inter County level, be it Minor, U-20 or Senior, you get the call or hear the jibes from the usual brigade.

"Whether it be the lads at the barstool counter, who seem to have an outstanding knowledge and expertise on football and hurling, to the usual press personnel, and of course the keyboard warriors, as to the faults and tribulations of our panel and management and Laois GAA in general.

Now while many would be nowhere near qualified to get involved as a mentor or any other potential role within a team,
the real disappointment is the hundreds of suitably qualified personnel that have been contacted to get involved in numerous different roles with our Inter County panels and academies in recent years, and offer the same disappointing excuse for not committing.

"If you were to ask me, what is one of the biggest problems in Laois GAA, I have no hesitation in stating that it is our inability to recruit suitable coaches / mentors for our Inter County panels."

Zooming around

It isn't very dignified of a county secretary to be making comments like that in his annual report.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Zooming around on November 30, 2022, 12:45:21 PM
It isn't very dignified of a county secretary to be making comments like that in his annual report.

Maybe not but unfortunately what he says is true
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!