Leinster S.F.C. 2015

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 18, 2015, 12:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Real pace in that team, I'd rather see Boyle deployed in the backs to be honest but in general thats the best team we have and with a couple of good pacy substitutes to come in.

Best of luck to the lads, I'm sure we will have a harder game than many expect but we should win.

Saint75

Not sure if there is 'real pace' in that team. D O'C ok but doesn't use it. Who else?

Giovanni

I'd imagine DoC, Attride, and Donoher would be considered pacey. Both Quigley and Donie are very quick (although it takes them a few paces to get up to speed).. The likes of Timmons,  Robbie Kehoe and Evan O Carroll wouldn't be slouches either.

SCFC

I'd be concerned about our bench. With Paul Begley struggling with an injury, I only see Hanrahan as defensive cover. With Finn, Meredith and Sheehan as our main options up front.

County Man

Ah here we are again. What we all have been waiting for, its Championship time!! Such a long wait but thats what makes it so special.

Lets hope for a good support for this derby game and obviously the right result.

I'm sure Carlow will go hell for leather but we should be able to produce enough to get over the line.

Glad to hear things are going well in the camp.

Best of luck lads, this is what all the hard training has been for.

Laois Abu :)

drici

Quote from: stevecw on June 12, 2014, 07:39:04 PM
Carlow team is picked and it's seriously bad. The half forward line is a complete joke, the backs are brutal, midfield has 1 decent player and 1 slow unfit guy. The full forward line picked is lethal, they are full of scores but can't see them getting anywhere near enough ball to be involved.

Meath will win this by at least 15 points, despite the injuries etc. I've heard it a few times from people I was talking to today and I agree, this is the worst team Carlow have ever put out for a championship game. 

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 15, 2014, 05:37:01 PM

Poor stevecw was correct with his prediction anyway.

Quote from: stevecw on April 29, 2015, 12:38:16 PM

So basically we will be playing ye with a 3rd choice keeper who is tiny, our 1st choice midfield gone, and our only quality forward coming back from 3 months out injured.

The fact we are playing at home doesn't help either. For some reason we always play better away. Even in the league just gone, we beat Waterford away, drew away to Antrim were robbed away to Offaly losing by a point that was well wide (that's why our keeper got the 12 week ban, abuse to officials!) Home games we got hammered by Leitrim & Longford. Scraped a lucky draw v Wicklow & bet London by 2 pts.

Paddy Power have Laois -4 @5/6 right now. Will be going big on that.

Carlow 0-03  Laois 1-10   Half Time

Half way there with this year's bet. Laois were cut to minus 5 at 10/11 yesterday
Carlow with the breeze though in 2nd Half.

drici

Carlow 0-08  Laois 3-16

All over.

Get in the queue.

The Board owes you loads of pints stevecw after yet another correct betting prediction involving Carlow.
(although Carlow don't seem to win in these predictions)

Giovanni

Great win Saturday night. Surprised that there isn't more of a reaction on here. I suppose you get more of a reaction when you're beaten by Longford in the first round........

Although Carlow were obviously weakened by the loss of some of their key players, I don't think that should take from our performance. I think our forward unit is now as good as it's been for many a long year and our midfield pairing is probably on a par with anything in the country. I'm still not really convinced by our defensive system but our two corner backs were very good yesterday against admittedly poor enough opposition.

Still, we have plenty to improve on. We kicked some really bad wides, especially in the first half and I felt that there were a lot more goals in the game for us if we really believed in ourselves. Although we only conceded 8, I'd still didn't really get the impression that our defence was really tight. In particular, there were still too many occasions when a Carlow man in possession was allowed make 25 or 30 yards before encountering a Laois man. You didn't see that in Ulster today and that's what we have to try to achieve.

Overall though it's given me a high level of optimism for the Kildare match. Well done to all.

Saint75

Great to get the win with a good score put up but my god Carlow were terrible. I hope this game doesn't come back to bite us against Kildare. Kildare are very beatable but a nothing game like that could have us at a lower intensity than we need. Laois will go in as favourites now and that's a tag that doesn't suit us.

At Midfield we are very strong but defensively we are wide open still. In attack Donie will be a marked man the next day. He's had a great year so far but the next day is his first real test and he needs to do it in championship. Himself and Paul seem to want to find each other with the ball a lot. We are stronger than last year with Timmons, Quigley and Boyle adding strength and experience down the middle and Attrite, O'Carrol, Sheils and P Kingston all a year older. Weakness would be the physicality of our cornerbacks and number 6 and maybe not enough defensively minded players in the middle third.

Unlaoised

Great win against a poor Carlow side still the movement of our players was superb...

suprised with some of the Subs and how long it took TOF to change it he really should have been bringing them in earlier and should been all forwards..

not sure why Billy got a run we no what he can and can't offer I would have prefered to see Dillion or Finn who are supposed to be going well in training.Finn  is our only real option for Midfield if something happened Quigley or Johno

Lowry was a strange one aswell I didnt even know he was still on the panel.

Looking forward to the Kildare match
LAOIS ABÚ

portlaoisekid

The performance was good from us saturday but Carlow were shocking.......Kildare will be a huge step up and I believe we can beat them...

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Thought we started the game with a great deal of purpose, imposed ourselves on them and picked off some great scores. That to me is the most important time of a game, the first 20 mins.
At that time you don't know what the other team are going to throw at you and you play as though you were playing the best team in Ireland, you play to a plan and try to take control of a game and we did that to perfection.
After that we knew where we stood, how good or bad the opposition were and what we needed to do to win the game. It was then that we became a bit sloppy and let them start to get a grip on the game which against a better team would have been very dangerous. Donnie's goal came at a great time for us, completely knocked the stuffing out of them and we took over totally for the remainder of the game.
We have to put that one behind us now and train like hell for the next one which is going to be a lot tougher for us. Kildare need to win a game like this to renew faith in their supporters and themselves and they won't need too much motivation to knock us back on our arses.

Paddy Power has Kildare as slight favourites for this one.
Kildare 5/6 
Laois 6/5
Draw 15/2

Here are a few quotes from the Kildare forum:
Bigfullforward
Junior A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was down in Carlow Saturday night to see the potential opposition.
Carlow were dreadful. You cannot comprehend how bad they were. Half the senior clubs in Kildare would beat them.
As for Laois, you just can't judge them on this game. An absolute stroll. I reckon if Donie Kingston is stopped, it'll be "aisy talk to them".

QuoteFreddy Krueger
Intermediate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kickingking wrote:It's a sad state of affairs when some people wouldn't consider a defeat to Laois to be a complete disaster because it would mean avoiding Dublin. It would be the silver lining in a mushroom cloud.

If we park our thoughts on the whole management and county board setup for a moment and concentrate on the players. We don't have a bad set of players despite how bad this year has gone so far. They were good enough to beat Laois in their own back yard only a few weeks ago and are more than capable of doing so again. They're no world beaters by any means but they have to be hurting at the way things have gone and we have to hope that they can channel that hurt into a few good committed displays this summer.

There may be very little faith in the management's ability to set the players up properly and buy into the strategy but we have to hope that the players' pride will see them go down fighting at the very least. If we do get over Laois then we really wouldn't have anything to lose against Dublin. The odds are we'll get a heavy beating but it's not like we haven't been on the receiving end of any of those throughout our history. Go out and give it everything and who knows, we might restore some pride. That might be a very simplistic and outdated mentality but it's all we're left with at this stage.
Clutching at straws kickingking. Pride and will to win at this level is a given for the most part. What separates the wheat from the chaff is the level of preparation and the system you implement. The simple fact of the matter is with the players we have at our disposal, we are certainly not getting any return.

The players will be standing in the dressing room before the Laois match knowing they are poorly prepared and off the back of back to back relegations, and lets face it some very very poor results and performances.
It's not a tap you can turn on. Laois will be absolutely gunning for us, make no mistake about it.
What might get us over the line against Laois is the fact that we have far superior footballers. Not pride or chest pumping.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room after some of the league defeats this year. Or after some training sessions in the next couple of weeks, just to see the mentality of Jason Ryan and the players.

Because it has to be a very bad place to be at the moment.

QuoteSeamusMurphy
All-Star

"Far Superior Footballers".. Not so sure Freddy.
I would probably fancy us if the Match was in Portlaoise, .. not so sure about Tullamore.

Freddy Krueger
Intermediate

What makes you so unsure Seamus. We've beaten them at underage and Senior level for the last 5/6/7 years. And comfortably too.
If I remember rightly we beat them by 21/22 points at u21 level a couple of years back.
We have far superior footballers. The stats don't lie. We're just not getting the most from them at the moment.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Carlow were poor indeed , the poorest I have seen them in a very long time . Laois can only beat whats in front of them and they did so without ever been tested truthfully . Kingston is delivering for Laois and this is  the year when he can become a big star .
Our record against Kildare in recent years is awful . They will pose a serious threat . I am sure Donie will  be in for some treatment but hopefully he can manage it . My worry is we are weak on the sideline in some key positions and also the fact Jason Ryan is a championship manager .With Wexford his focus was always championship and his record was good including a All Ireland Semi Final appearance . Regardless of the turmoil and unhappiness in Kildare with him you dont become a bad manager over-night. It will be closer this time between Laois and Kildare but I do think Laois with Donie Kingston to the fore will just have too much for Kildare .

redsetanta

It will be an interesting game against the lillies. We certainly owe them in the championship as they have turned us over the last couple of times and I won't forget the last visit to Tullamore where they gave us a bit of a hiding in fairness. They are rightly favourites based on the league game and previous championship games however I would not agree that they have superior footballers.
We have some very good footballers in key positions and our centrefield partnership is as good as any in the country. Kildare won't want to be kicking out to our lads so our forwards should stay high and pressure the keeper into kicking it long. It's definately a dual where we should come out on top.

We have a nice blend of youth and experience in the team at the moment and while we are a little short on good replacement defenders we have decent options up front.

Looking forward to this game in what will be a big weekend for Laois GAA with this game on the Saturday evening and our hurlers out in O'Moore Park the following day. (Pending Westmeath result)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great to see three of our lads named on Hogan Stand- Team of the Week. Well done boys.

QuoteHS football team of the week
18 May 2015

There's nothing like the championship to herald the start of the summer, here's our football team of the week ...

1. Michael O'Neill (Tyrone)
The championship debutant from Clonoe couldn't be faulted for his side's three-point defeat as he pulled off a number of fine saves.

2. Kevin Maguire (Westmeath)
Maguire and his Westmeath team-mates now turn their attention to a quarter-final clash against Wexford after they gained revenge from last year's defeat at the hands of Louth.

3. Neil McGee (Donegal)
Is there a better full-back in gaelic football at the moment? On the evidence of yesterday's game in Ballybofey the answer is no.

4. Mark Timmons (Laois)
The Graiguecullen clubman hadn't far to travel to Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday evening as Laois experienced little difficulty in disposing of the Carlow challenge.

5. Colm P Smyth (Longford)
Smyth's adventurous spirit was rewarded with a point in each half of Saturday's three-point victory over Offaly.

6. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
Hugely influential in the heart of the Donegal defence, the former Footballer of the Year also inflicted damage on Tyrone on the counter-attack and chipped in with a trademark point.

7. Frank McGlynn (Donegal)
Underlined his importance to the Donegal cause with another all-action display and was particularly effect in the transition from defence to attack.

8. Brendan Quigley (Laois)
Quigley and his midfield partner John O'Loughlin will face a much sterner examination against Kildare in the last eight.

9. Paul Conroy (Galway)
In a game that left a lot to be desired, the Galway captain was one of the few players who rose above the mediocre.

10. Martin McElhinney (Donegal)
Has emerged as a vital cog in the Donegal machine as he continued where he left off in the league and finished as his side's top scorer with 1-2.

11. Michael Quinn (Longford)
Missed a penalty in the first-half but the Killoe player's finger prints were all over Longford's stirring comeback in O'Connor Park, Tullamore.

12. Ray Connellan (Westmeath)
A close second behind John Heslin in the 'man-of-the-match' permutations, the maroon and whites' half-forward was a constant thorn in the side of the Louth defence and helped himself to 1-2.

13. Donie Kingston (Laois)
The experienced Kingston warmed up for a quarter-final against Kildare when shooting 1-5 (1-3 from play) against the Barrowsiders.

14. John Heslin (Westmeath)
Louth's defence will be glad to see the back of Heslin who raised nine white flags in Drogheda and also had a hand in two of the Lake County's three goals.

15. Brian Kavanagh (Longford)
The Kilmacud Crokes clubman used his experience to telling effect against the Faithful County and contributed five points to his side's tally.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!