Chaging the 14 Amendnent.

Started by Denn Forever, October 31, 2018, 05:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Aristo 60 on November 01, 2018, 09:54:27 AM
change the title!

I think there is an ironic beauty in the title so it should be left unchanged.....

J70

Trump is clearly using this as a desperate wedge issue to gin up last minute support, just like his lies and hype about the caravan.

Leaving that and the technical, legal/constitutional aspects aside though, I don't think opposition to affording citizenship to any child born on US soil is automatically right wing and bigoted.

A daycare worker went off the rails near where I live recently and stabbed some young, Chinese infants. The type of place she worked apparently cater to Chinese women coming to the States, having their kid here, and then taking off back home, kid's citizenship in tow. Is that something the US should be permitting?

There is a legitimate discussion to be had on this issue IMO.

Puckoon

Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2018, 02:49:14 PM
Trump is clearly using this as a desperate wedge issue to gin up last minute support, just like his lies and hype about the caravan.

Leaving that and the technical, legal/constitutional aspects aside though, I don't think opposition to affording citizenship to any child born on US soil is automatically right wing and bigoted.

A daycare worker went off the rails near where I live recently and stabbed some young, Chinese infants. The type of place she worked apparently cater to Chinese women coming to the States, having their kid here, and then taking off back home, kid's citizenship in tow. Is that something the US should be permitting?

There are many (including this topic) legitimate discussions that need to be had sooner rather than later - unfortunately the lunacy continues to prevail and it's a shouting match across the aisles.

What's the fix?

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2018, 04:25:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2018, 02:49:14 PM

There are many (including this topic) legitimate discussions that need to be had sooner rather than later - unfortunately the lunacy continues to prevail and it's a shouting match across the aisles.

What's the fix?

No clue. Everything is so polarized, or possibly more correctly, the conversation is so dominated by extremist loudmouths with agendas and ulterior motives, that sensible, measured discussion is impossible. You end up with two sides shouting past each other, not willing to give an inch. Guns is definitely one area where some give and take could easily be achieved. This birthright citizenship issue is another. Even climate change - leaving aside the morons who deny its even a real phenomenon or that humans influence it, there is plenty of room for sensible debate and discussion, on the premise that it IS human-caused AND a significant problem, on what that should mean for civilization in how much we try to control it and how much we just try to mitigate its effects. Unfortunately the denialists are currently in control and intent on full-steam-ahead pretending that there is no problem to even consider.

Eamonnca1

This reminds me of the 2003 election when Bush floated the idea of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. It hadn't a hope in hell of getting done, but it was enough to rally his base and get him re-elected.

Puckoon

The sound you would hear would be loading of magazine clips and the action bolts of rifles.