11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Boirche

Purely by chance, I was listening to Nolan on Radio Ulster this morning and there was this guy from the country complaining that he had been told by the DOE that he could not burn his own bushes because of some environmental law. Anyway, his gripe was that while he was told this, 100s of bonfires were being built and would be lit on the 11th night. Cue a string of callers (including an elected counciller Pauline Armitage? I think) to come on and tell him to 'wind his neck in' and say that if he wants to burn anything, he can burn it on the 11th night. The poor guy was getting more and more frustrated that nobody got his point. Of course, the useless lump of lard Nolan did nothing to help the guy and let the pack of wolves loose on him.

Near where I live in Belfast, there is an unsightly stack which has been getting built since about Easter. I know bonfires are part of Protestant tradition and all that, but having them in housing estates is wrong. The authorities do next to nothing to stop these fires which invariably encourage people to dump any oul shite at the side of the road. And then whenever anybody raises a legitmate point about the safety of them, they're attacking Protestant culture. It's a joke. What's cultural about having a fire in the middle of your street.

5 Sams

I remember when I was a student getting the bus to Belfast on the 11th with a mate of mine and going down the Donegal Road past one of the bonfires....mate says to me....."fcuk....whoever put thon tricolour on the top of that had some balls...I wonder did they catch him!!" ???
The Aristocrat Years

mooncatiii

Quote from: Fear Boirche on June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM
Purely by chance, I was listening to Nolan on Radio Ulster this morning and there was this guy from the country complaining that he had been told by the DOE that he could not burn his own bushes because of some environmental law. Anyway, his gripe was that while he was told this, 100s of bonfires were being built and would be lit on the 11th night. Cue a string of callers (including an elected counciller Pauline Armitage? I think) to come on and tell him to 'wind his neck in' and say that if he wants to burn anything, he can burn it on the 11th night. The poor guy was getting more and more frustrated that nobody got his point. Of course, the useless lump of lard Nolan did nothing to help the guy and let the pack of wolves loose on him.

Near where I live in Belfast, there is an unsightly stack which has been getting built since about Easter. I know bonfires are part of Protestant tradition and all that, but having them in housing estates is wrong. The authorities do next to nothing to stop these fires which invariably encourage people to dump any oul shite at the side of the road. And then whenever anybody raises a legitmate point about the safety of them, they're attacking Protestant culture. It's a joke. What's cultural about having a fire in the middle of your street.

i can understand his gripe, i know of a fella who was driving a few hundred yards away from a roundabout in craigavon where people where dumping rubbish for the bonfire, when he flicked a cigarette out the window a few days later a letter came in the post with a £50 littering fine.  the police must have been around and booked him!

i wonder if they booked the people dumping the rubbish on the roundabout
shazam

T Fearon

Newry on the 14/15th August also isn't exactly environmentally friendly either!

hitzelsperger

whats worse is these c**ts get grants and stuff to help fund the building of bonfires...pure and utter joke!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fear Boirche on June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Spot on, FB.

As an expression of culture, the sort of carry on which goes on at the worst of these events is on a par with other "cultural" activites like joyriding, drug dealing or sniffing glue.

Tbh, the majority of Prods are increasingly sickened/embarrassed by this annual crap, but are in no better position to complain than you are, since we risk getting the shit beaten out of us (or worse), just the same.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nifan

I dont go near the things, and I cringe everytime i see a tricolour at the top of a bonfire.

If they are going to have them the should be in approved areas and properly, safely monitored.

his holiness nb

What is it about bonfires anyway?
Even at Halloween down here they seem to attract the lowest of society.
Maybe its a return to the caveman instinct, or they are just the type of people who like to see things burn?
I dont get it.
Ask me holy bollix

GalwayBayBoy

It's long been a tradition to have a bonfire in many parts of the west of Ireland on June the 23rd or St John's night and even these are now coming under the glare of enviromental laws and these bonfires would be small compared to the building sized ones up north.

guy crouchback

Bonfire night in thew west of ireland is june 22.  when i was a kid it was a massive deal with a town the size of ballina having 6 or 7 big bonfiers some with BBQ's and bands. there would also be smaller fires and in the country every village and townland would have at leat 1.
over the years it seems to have gotten smaller but i think this is down to the growth of the town and ther being less space and tighter rules on smoke pollution ect.

while there was always great compition between the kids from  different parts of town over who had the best fire and raids on each others fires were common there was never any trouble and there were and are very much family affairs.

edit just spotted i had got the date wrong it is june 23

Deal_Me_In

What is the need to have such large bonfire on the 11th night anyway? If it is a celebration (supposedly) for one night why is there a need for a fire that burns for about 24Hrs and then continues to smoulder for about another 2 days?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 22, 2007, 08:53:24 AM
Could a Farmer not have a bonfire on the 11th night? Thereby getting round the laws that prevent him from burning things on his land.

No because as Dunseith and Ugly Betty (sorry Arlene) said a farmer burning the agricultural waste is not a cultural event, yet a crowd of bigots burning tyres, sofas, pallets (which are normally worth about £20 each!?!?!) and various other waste is a cultural event - only here!  >:(

Farmers are having it hard enough without the added burden and cost of disposal of the waste.
Tbc....

Bensars

In the same interview, there was a guy who claims he was fined £5000 for an "unoffical" bonfire. Whats Better again is that the contents of these bonfires are on the whole obviously stolen, otherwise there are very generous pallet donators.

On a side note i  remember well in the early 90's a very good friend of mine, who obviously shall remain nameless, came out of the Crescent Bar ( mainly a dirty student dive with cheap drink ) with the bottom of sandy row  oppisite the sandy row rangers supporters club , and took exception to the bonfire. At this stage it was about 25ft high with a guys supposedly guarding it. 

To Cut a long story short he went back in the middle of the night and lit er'.  Close to the 12th and bonfire gone...........oh how we laughed !!

Hardy

Orior

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40437158

Oh dear, looks like the bonfire on the Comber Greenway at Holywood Arches went aff early last night.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians