Kerry v Monaghan part 2

Started by Kerry Mike, July 27, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 30, 2008, 08:46:11 AM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 30, 2008, 12:17:47 AM
but nonetheless we will give Monaghan the fullest respect , they will be a very hard team to break down and score against.

You'd better give Monaghan the fullest respect or you'll not even be able to make your own tay KM when her indoors is done with ya..  :D

On the number 7 front. Our current best option would be Paul McGuigan from Clontibret. He was off the pace a bit again(st) Derry (seem to be carrying a bit of a leg injury) but done well when we came on again(st) Donegal. He's a very clever player and is a great attacking option to have in the HB line.

His man marking can be poor at times though.

Is there any truth in the craic that Kerry have been trying the Gooch on the 40 with Donaghy and Sheehan inside?

bingobus

I've watched McGuigan plenty at club and county level and the one concern I'd have about him, is that when a ball has to be won and won hard, he goes missing. Derry this year and Crossmaglen last year are prime examples. A fine footballer on the ball and a good marker but playing win back at intercounty level you need to win the dirty ball and this lets him down.

Would love to see cooper on the 40 line, further away from goals the better and if Dessie follows him out, then Dessie can drive forward and play his more natural game.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 30, 2008, 12:17:47 AM
Monaghan are a team I have been watching closely over the last few years and have seen a good few clubs games to understand a small bit of the make up of the team.

Monaghan will probably have the same starting 15 this weekend, there will be the obligatory few players named out of position which is what Banty does in most games like Finlay in Midfield or Corey at Full back but once the teams line up on the field I'd expect to see a familiar look which will have Padraig McBennett in goals where he is developing into a very good shot stopper. His kickouts are good and has taken over as a Number 1 from Shane Duffy.

The Full back line will be the 2 Mone brothers and Dermot McArdle. Keeping Donegal's full forward line scoreless from play last weekend was no mean feat and even though Colm McFadden scored 3 frees and Mike Murphy got 5 it was still a fine result. If it showed one flaw it was the case of fouling and I think McArdle may be weak link here, though I do think he is a better option than Colm Flanagan from last year.

We know all about how well JP coped with Donaghy last year and it must be said not helped by the Kerry supply to their main target man, most of the ball sent in were Hail Mary's which made Mone's job a bit easier, but that was a result of Monaghan pressure from out the field on the Kerry playmakers. Monaghan did their job well. I'd hope for a better quality of ball on Sunday where Donaghy can attack the ball.

Dessie Mone did well on Gooch last year if memory serves me well , but with the poor supply to Donaghy and nearly everything going that route made Coopers involvement limited. Mone has pace to burn and is a good man marker but again inclined to foul. Is one of those niggly players who will get under the skin of a corner forward and Cooper will have to keep his head if this happens.

In the Half line Damien Freeman will again lead his team at wing back, a solid player who will sweep up alot of attacks, I can see him playing in front of his full back to try and clean up breaks. Gary McQuaid was poor enough against Donegal after his few weeks off, he seemed off the pace and it will be interesting to see if he is retained for Sunday and a potential clash with Eoin Brosnan or hopefully Declan O'Sullivan if fit.

I think it was Conor McManus played wing back the last day and he seemed to struggle with Brian Roper at times, Dessie Hughes is a possible option against Kerry. But maybe the Monaghan lads can correct me as to who is their best choice No 7.

At midfield it will take some convincing that it wont be Dick Clerkin and Eoin Lennon, Clerkin may wear 10 but midfield will be his role. Both put in great shows over the last 2 games and work tirelessly for the team, Both win primary ball and can distribute and score too. They gave Kerry their fill of it last year and Clerkin will want to avenge his late red card.

Lennon has really come on and for a man in need of a knee operation he has done well, his early season form for both Latton and Monaghan was poor but he seems to rise to the occasion. Kerry midfield will have a busy afternoon.

The half forward line will probably be made up of Finlay, Woods and Gollogly though again jersey numbers may mean nothing. Finlay has returned well from his suspension and continued his good form of early this year, one thing I notice is he is kicking frees from his hands instead of off the ground last year, he missed a few costly 45's against Tyrone and Kerry last year off the ground. A fine player and will take alot of man marking next weekend. Rory Woods get through a pile of ball and he will float around midfield and the whole forward line, very good ball winner and is a very good distributor and his point taking has really come on, a real chip of Nudie's block. If he plays in the centre I'd expect Aidan O'Mahony to be close by. Stephen Gollogly though small in stature is hardy and again well able to kick a point and win the scrappy ball. In fact it is something I have noticed more this year, all the Monaghan forwards are willing to chip in, whereas before it was being left to Freeman and Finlay for the scoring.

The full forwards line will be led by Tommy Freeman who though having a quiter year than last year is still a major threat, he seems to be more man marked this year and is working harder for the team by creating space for the likes of Woods and Hantratty to have a shot. Hanratty is a great wee player, light but quick and will score if given the chance, gave Padraig Reidy the run around last year and will need special attention this time around. Vincent Corey though probaby being named as a No 3 or at 6 will be at Full forward where he will expect to cause havoc on Tom O'Sullivan again. Corey is a good target man and well able to help out in winning breaking ball around the middle, has power and pace to threaten any defence but sometimes feel his scoring threat is not so great.

Sin e that my view on Monaghan, some of it very predictable but nonetheless we will give Monaghan the fullest respect , they will be a very hard team to break down and score against.

Will write a bit about Kerry tomorrow when hopefully we will have news on a certain Mr Other.

Mike you have impressed me!!

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on July 30, 2008, 10:55:05 AM
I've watched McGuigan plenty at club and county level and the one concern I'd have about him, is that when a ball has to be won and won hard, he goes missing. Derry this year and Crossmaglen last year are prime examples. A fine footballer on the ball and a good marker but playing win back at intercounty level you need to win the dirty ball and this lets him down.

Would love to see cooper on the 40 line, further away from goals the better and if Dessie follows him out, then Dessie can drive forward and play his more natural game.

I would agree with all that except my one concern about Dessie is that when he is in the half back line he drives forward to the detriment of his defensive duities, i.e. in the Derry game, made a 40 yard run up the field, didnt release the ball quickly enough, got turned over and Derry came down the field and scored a point.

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on July 30, 2008, 11:44:56 AM
Quote from: bingobus on July 30, 2008, 10:55:05 AM

I would agree with all that except my one concern about Dessie is that when he is in the half back line he drives forward to the detriment of his defensive duities, i.e. in the Derry game, made a 40 yard run up the field, didnt release the ball quickly enough, got turned over and Derry came down the field and scored a point.

Thats true but plenty of times he has drove forward and won frees/taken scores. Rarely does it at IC level but has the ability to do it. But as you say, if he was marking Cooper and lost the ball up front he would be punished. That is where Damien Freeman's free role should come into effect and pick up the free man  but at times he plays so deep that he seems happy to prevent goals rather than points. As in the Derry game when he backed off the attacker in the second half and he slotted over a point without any kind of tackle going in.

Mid Mon

any news on Declan O'Sullivan.

AZOffaly

Declan has been back in training with Kerry, and played 35 minutes last weekend of a 'trial' game. Personally I think it's too soon, and he won't be right until the semi final if Kerry make it that far, but with their problems in the half forward line, I'll be surprised if he doesn't play at least some part on Sunday.

thebandit

The indications are that he will start

AZOffaly

Quote from: thebandit on July 30, 2008, 03:28:57 PM
The indications are that he will start

I wouldn't be surprised. Hopefully he'll be alright, but it's a gamble.

ExiledGael

Would be amazed if he started with apparently just half a club game under his belt.
At the same time I'd be surprised not to see him at some stage. Should be a fascinating game.

Main Street

The Irish Times thinks he will be ready to start.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0730/1217279170021.html

We have heard about the  6 weeks being too long last year,
will 4 weeks be too short this year?

Kerry Mike

Quoteit's Darren Hughes and not Dessie Hughes as a potential half-back sub.

Slip of the old keyboard there.

QuoteOur current best option would be Paul McGuigan from Clontibret

Agreed forgot about him in my rundown last night, have seen him play a few times with Clontibret,

QuoteIs there any truth in the craic that Kerry have been trying the Gooch on the 40 with Donaghy and Sheehan inside?

You have the partial truth to the rumour, it may be Donaghy and someone else besides Sheehan inside (but its a big secret), dont think Gooch will go out as far as the forty, we dont want him getting too tired running back in!!! Team named later this evening and all will be revealed.

I think Declan will start the game if he is close to full fitness , we really need him

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

The Subbie

From reading the papers and the queendom of Kerry website it would appear that O'Sullivan will play next Sunday, some recovery but you'd have to wonder if ,as Darragh O'Se said earlier in the year, would there be a bit of dirty petrol in the tank after a long lay off, O'Sullivan was the game breaker last year and if there is a full 70 mins in him we are in trouble.
As regards the gooch playing on the 40 i don't think Kerry will do this for a number of reasons, 1 as previously posted Dessie will have licience to roam up field and join in with attack and 2 cooper won't thrive in the white hot battle zone that it will be between both 45 metre lines, space at a premium,  no time to look up, bang bang bang not gooch territory @ all.
According to the Queendom boys big walsh and donaghy will provide the threat in the full forward line, i suppose they threw all they could at us last year down the hail mary route with one big man up there i suppose you might as well fire two up there and keep trying it.
Kerry's full back line go into this game with a big question mark hanging over them after thier capitulation against the langers with corey rampent and tommy being more than likely double marked spaces will appear in this sector of the field and the 1/2 forward line will have to exploit these if we are to have any cgance.
Mid field is as usual gonna be cruical as i don't for one minute believe that darragh o'se is finished i would expect Dick to throw all he can at him as if memory serves me right there is unfinished business from the railway cup final, if lennon can repeat his form from the last two days out Scanlon will have his hands full.

The weather looks like it will stay ok so heres hoping for a cracker like last year

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?day=4&zipcode=Dublin

By the way due to an unfortunate previous commitment i shall be unable to attend the match of the weekend and will be exiled to the dreary confines of Amsterdam city for the bank holiday weekend with 22 other diplomats from Monaghan :o :o ;) ;),a stag party is the event in question anyone know what the crack is with seeing the game on tv over there? Any good Irish bars that will definatley show it??

The Subbie

http://kerrygaa.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=957&page=5

interesting post by Kingdom35 re possible team for sunday, even better post by donegal guy regarding the Queendoms hardcore travelling support!!!!!!!!

johnpower

Quote from: The Subbie on July 30, 2008, 08:43:51 PM
From reading the papers and the queendom of Kerry website it would appear that O'Sullivan will play next Sunday, some recovery but you'd have to wonder if ,as Darragh O'Se said earlier in the year, would there be a bit of dirty petrol in the tank after a long lay off, O'Sullivan was the game breaker last year and if there is a full 70 mins in him we are in trouble.
As regards the gooch playing on the 40 i don't think Kerry will do this for a number of reasons, 1 as previously posted Dessie will have licience to roam up field and join in with attack and 2 cooper won't thrive in the white hot battle zone that it will be between both 45 metre lines, space at a premium,  no time to look up, bang bang bang not gooch territory @ all.
According to the Queendom boys big walsh and donaghy will provide the threat in the full forward line, i suppose they threw all they could at us last year down the hail mary route with one big man up there i suppose you might as well fire two up there and keep trying it.
Kerry's full back line go into this game with a big question mark hanging over them after thier capitulation against the langers with corey rampent and tommy being more than likely double marked spaces will appear in this sector of the field and the 1/2 forward line will have to exploit these if we are to have any cgance.
Mid field is as usual gonna be cruical as i don't for one minute believe that darragh o'se is finished i would expect Dick to throw all he can at him as if memory serves me right there is unfinished business from the railway cup final, if lennon can repeat his form from the last two days out Scanlon will have his hands full.

The weather looks like it will stay ok so heres hoping for a cracker like last year

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?day=4&zipcode=Dublin

By the way due to an unfortunate previous commitment i shall be unable to attend the match of the weekend and will be exiled to the dreary confines of Amsterdam city for the bank holiday weekend with 22 other diplomats from Monaghan :o :o ;) ;),a stag party is the event in question anyone know what the crack is with seeing the game on tv over there? Any good Irish bars that will definatley show it??

I assume you are waiting for the Quarter Final ?.