Protestants

Started by Feckitt, May 27, 2008, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Subbie

Taigs say Drogheda , prods say Drok-hee-da. :)

nifan

Evil Genius

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 28, 2008, 02:36:06 PM
gweltah is just an alterego of EG or Sammy.

Sammy it is, then  :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

SammyG

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 28, 2008, 01:43:38 PM
Janey Mac! Only nifan has joined in.
Where is EG and gweltyah and SammyG?
I thought this thread would be a magnet for the OWC lads.

Thanks for your concern. Two reasons I haven't posted, firstly I haven't been on the site for a while and secondly even if I had been I'm not a Prod.

As far as the original questions

1. Never have heard of Dustin the Turkey. - Not before all the Eurovision shite
2. Never to have heard of the Late Late show. - Heard of and been in the audience a few times
3. To call Monaghan, (Monackon) - never heard it pronounced like that
4. To not be able to pronounce Aisling - could pronounce it
5. To never have heard of Brian Cowen - never heard of him before a few weeks ago

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on May 28, 2008, 02:35:39 PMSure them boys are practically English
Fcuk me that just never stops being funny.
Quote from: Donagh on May 28, 2008, 02:35:39 PM
so can be forgiven for not know much about the aspects of Irish culture and society that are mentioned. As for those referred to in the thread title, they're telling lies. They may want you (and more importantly their neighbors) to think they are good White Anglo Saxon Protestants, untainted by any influence from the Papish Irish, but we know rightly they have the RTE aerials hidden in the attic and that's Pat Kenney they're watching behind those curtains.
Interesting so you're not just a cultural analyst but also a mind-reader.  ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: SammyG on May 28, 2008, 04:10:22 PM
Quote from: Donagh on May 28, 2008, 02:35:39 PM
so can be forgiven for not know much about the aspects of Irish culture and society that are mentioned. As for those referred to in the thread title, they're telling lies. They may want you (and more importantly their neighbors) to think they are good White Anglo Saxon Protestants, untainted by any influence from the Papish Irish, but we know rightly they have the RTE aerials hidden in the attic and that's Pat Kenney they're watching behind those curtains.
Interesting so you're not just a cultural analyst but also a mind-reader.  ::)

Perhaps, for all the jokey style, Donagh needs to convince himself of that, since it conforms to his stereotype of "themmuns" generally, as well specifically giving justification to his particular brand of "Brits Out" politics i.e. "Sure the more they protest their Brit/English/WASP heritage etc, the less right they have to complain at our driving them back where they came from"  :o

Yet the one thing that "ussuns", on this Board at least, have in common is that we tend not to conform to a single, simple stereotype.

Typically awkward, non-conformist bastards, eh?  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 28, 2008, 04:28:35 PM

Yet the one thing that "ussuns", on this Board at least, have in common is that we tend not to conform to a single, simple stereotype.

That's very true, our OWC friends are not all windbagging wankers, just the odd one.

corn02

Have to agree with the Monakan one. Boy in Newry I use to work with always talked about Monakan street.

EC Unique

I always find it interesting that alot of prods are 'British' or 'Northern Irish' when at home but when they are abroad they are all 'Irish' as the 'Irish' are much better accepted than brits in most of the world :D :D

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on May 28, 2008, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 28, 2008, 04:28:35 PM

That's very true, our OWC friends are not all windbagging wankers, just the odd one.

"our OWC friends"? You might have got away with "my" and "friend" - though even that would have been pushing it... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

SammyG

Puckoon

Quote from: EC Unique on May 28, 2008, 04:36:04 PM
I always find it interesting that alot of prods are 'British' or 'Northern Irish' when at home but when they are abroad they are all 'Irish' as the 'Irish' are much better accepted than brits in most of the world :D :D

Not true. We have a fresh influx of irish students here every year. Hopefully every year we get a few of themmuns (the boys like to see them coming). When we do get them, they are very quick to tell people who ask them where they are from that they are from Northern Ireland, and are Northern Irish. Not Irish.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Surreal Steve

Quote from: Minus15 on May 27, 2008, 11:21:36 PM
i remember in 1st year geography at university we were split into groups with a map of ireland in front of us and we had to name the thirty-two counties and put them in the correct place. I got them all but some of the protestant girls were putting galway below dublin and one even mixed up derry and tyrone. It was like spot the catholic that day not that my big gah jersey and o'neills bottoms werent a big giveaway.

:D :D :D :D

you jordanstown students/alumni never fail to amuse