At What age did you peak as a Footballer/Hurler?

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 30, 2006, 10:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

For me it was minor. Won a rake of hurling schoolboy/U14/juvenile and minor hurling medals (easy enough in Longford) but hit the payload in 1984 with a minor football championship medal ( as last sub  :-\ )

Played one senior football game for my beloved Mostrim in 1984 agin Coyningham Rd Bus Garage who were in the town on the piss and were up for a challenge.

Also played on Nov 1 1984 when all GAA clubs in Ireland celebrated the 100th anniversary of the founding of the GAA. (For the record Wolfe Tones (us) played Clonguish)

So - what was/is your peak of achievement?

I reckon on a scale on 1-10 I'm at 1!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

At the age of 18 playing my first full season I rattled in 1-2 from the half forward line in a local derby match (I like to think of it as a Brian McGuiganesque performance ;D). That was as good as it got unfortunately.

charlie linkbox

Was playing my best stuff ever and got a call up to the county minor panel. Was dropped before the championship though because I wasn't good enough. Downhill from there. Then I went to College and didn't come home most weekends so I kinda lost touch with the football at home. I haven't kicked a serious ball in a couple of years now but I keep saying I'll go back (and I will!!!).

Fionntamhnach

Somewhere around 11 or 12.  :o Broke my wrist in a PE accident when I was 13 which put me out of the u14 season and knee problems soon after never saw me make any ground.

screenexile

19!!

Played for County U21's, had a stormer of a league and a good game first round of the championship... went to Canada, drank and ate the head of meself put on a stone weight and haven't been the same since!!!! I'll turn it around yet though ;)

AbbeySider

Im in my early 20's and I still reckon I havnt peaked physically
I know myself I was still growing up until last year. I was fitter, stronger and playing better football than I ever did. Im still improving as the seasons wear on.
Im in the gym too for the winter so I should be in good shape to push myself more when training starts in Feburary.
In my own mind I think im only scratching the surface of what can be achieved.

Granted I missed out on some football from U-14 to minor (through no fault of my own). I didnt play/train as much as I should have.
Perhaps that lapse has given me the huge hunger to keep getting better.

I think that a player 'peaking' and 'burn out' is mostly psychological. If we look at soccer players like Maldini (sorry for the soccer reference) we see a man who was(is?) still playing top flight football into his 30's

Seamus Moynaghan at 33 retiring at the top with his third All-Star in his pocket... it cant be said that he peaked in his late teens because if he did then is it not down hill from there? 

Mayo4Sam

About 17, full forward for the minors, U-21 half forward and on the senior panel with the odd league run-out. Played a bit of freshers in college but have never really regained the fitness after 2 years out thru illness
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

SlimShady

Mid 20's myself and I'm just about to peak  :P

Seriously though, my best is yet to come  ;)

Maximus Marillius

That is still to come...doing the best i can considering the demanding job Im in. Weights twice a dy four times a week. The other two days I do road work considering its the off season for us at present. Sunday a day of rest, I joined the DUP, but plan to defect about March to SF. The next two years will see the best of me, i can only contiune with this programme for that lenght of time...then I'm getting married and building a house. Best season to date, season before last.

magpie seanie

Hard to say. At 16/17 was light but as fast as forked lightening. Made SFC debut at 17 for club. Went away to college and dedication to training along with form dipped so even though I was on county minor panel I probably shouldn't have been. At 19 had a good season re-inventing myself as a corner back and won an IFC medal with the club. At 21 was in great form but got seriously shafted in team selection and it kicked the heart out of me playing wise. Downward spiral was arrested last year and I'm hopeful of an Indian summer!

Kerry Mike

I'd say 18 myself, had two county football U21 medals in my pocket by then, but then college, drink, moving away from home and then work put paid to any future dedication. Played a few trial games with the Kerry minors way back but it was my leaving cert year so could never really give it the time.
Made a club comeback in my twenties for about 8 years but had to give it up when I reached the big 30 which is a good few years ago now, also played junior B hurling in Cork for a few years and got a medal and many battle scars out of that. But no regrets it was fun when it lasted and I have a good collection of about 40 medals for my run.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

neilthemac

aged 26, and I reckon I have not peaked yet

not playing much football or hurling from the ages of 15-21 might have helped. Most of the friends who were class footballers when they were in their teens are no longer playing due to injury, apathy etc