Cill Dara v Uibh Fhaili May 24th

Started by Dinny Breen, April 27, 2009, 02:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Boyles

Kildare 2/5
Draw 8/1
Offaly 12/5

Will be a lot closer than that as the history of Kildare v Offaly games have shown us, the hype is building up in Kildare and I'm not sure how this team will handle that kind of expectant pressure. What's the feeling over the border?
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

We're in trouble, and we'll barely keep it kicked out to you.

Ah no, in fairness I'd expect Kildare to be that bit further along than ourselves. We've obviously had a traumatic start to the year, and are coming off a shocking year under Pat Roe (only partly his fault). The players are more or less the same, but they do have football in them. Staying up in Division 3 was a decent performance after getting scutched in Roscommon and Down, and Tipp actually.

I'd worry about our midfield against Kildare, but if we can win enough ball there, and move it with purpose, then the likes of Niall  McNamee can win you a game, if he's given a chance.

I'd expect Kildare to win by about 4 at this stage, subject to change over the upcoming weeks, but I'd be hoping for a traditional Offaly approach to it, rather than a feeble waving of the white flag.

Dinny Breen

How is Tom Cribben been perceived in Offaly?

Dermot Earley is Kildare's midfield and in the league against Armagh he was totally nullified and Kildare's game plan went to shreads. Rob Kelly is a work horse and could turn out to be a very good player but he's no good in the air, Flynn is better in the air but even in club football once he gets rattled the head goes, this game I think will be all about the breakng ball and which team has the hunger for it.

Some people are worried that Kildare have peaked too early but I don't go with that at all, I saw us against Cork and we looked very sharp whereas against Meath we looked a bit sluggish which makes me think the McGeeney and the fitness team are performing periodisation moduals working at getting Kildare peaking at certain times over the summer, at least that's what I hope and John Doran is the Offaly fitness guy, I think he's past his time so I think will have the edge in fitness which will be important come the last 10 minutes.

Who marks McNamee will be interesting Kildare don't have a natural man-markier and I'd imagine they be targetting the supply source rather than focusing on him.
#newbridgeornowhere

This Years Model

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2009, 06:47:40 PM
Some people are worried that Kildare have peaked too early but I don't go with that at all, I saw us against Cork and we looked very sharp whereas against Meath we looked a bit sluggish which makes me think the McGeeney and the fitness team are performing periodisation moduals working at getting Kildare peaking at certain times over the summer, at least that's what I hope and John Doran is the Offaly fitness guy, I think he's past his time so I think will have the edge in fitness which will be important come the last 10 minutes.

Jayses Dinny, looks like ye're way ahead of the rest of us so  :o ....... it'll be hardly worth turning up  :P

Personally I think I'd rather meet Kildare in Carlow than the Biffs in Tullamore. Everyone expects a Kildare win, so were Offaly to "surprise" you I fear they might be capable of going on a bit of a run in Leinster. Right now it's hard to see where an Offaly win would come from, but it's Championship, so none of us really knows. Still, Kildare after a replay for me.

That reminds me: are we having replays this year? It was mentioned a while back that they were looking at Extra-Time on the first day, to avoid the now traditional fixtures clog-up. Did anything come of this?

turk

Is Willie Heffernan involved with Kildare this year?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: turk on May 04, 2009, 03:44:08 PM
Is Willie Heffernan involved with Kildare this year?

Jaysus you Offaly lads aren't half obsessed with Big Willie  :o

Willie is still involved, has been tried out at full-forward in the league, he has a very poor work rate and can drift in and out of games. All the talent just not enough application.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Willie is a legend. Kildare are mad if he isn't lar na pairce on the 24th.

Bord na Mona man

If Kildare are within 6 points of Offaly when they introduce Heffernan, they'll win it handy!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 27, 2009, 06:47:40 PM
Considering that Offaly players would lack residual fitness, then I can't see Doran doing much harm.
While Kildare have tall enough backs, I have seen them a couple of times being less than commanding under the high ball. The problem is that apart from McNamee, Offaly don't have good catching forwards.

Kildare seem to make good use of support runners and overlapping wing backs. I'd worry that Offaly don't have good tracking forwards to cope with this.
If Offaly can crowd Kildare from around the '65 and back, and maybe force into having to kick 50-50 balls, then it might help.
The likes of John Doyle tends of play off a big man like Sweeney, rather than win his own ball. If someone like Conor Evans could stop Sweeney from getting the ball first time, who knows.

Kildare's have been operating at the upper end of Division 2, whereas Offaly have been struggling in Division 2. Offaly lost their 3 away league games by a net total of 28 points, so it would be a hard ask to win this.
If Heffernan gets more than 20 minute, then it won't matter either way!

Dinny Breen

QuoteWhile Kildare have tall enough backs, I have seen them a couple of times being less than commanding under the high ball. The problem is that apart from McNamee, Offaly don't have good catching forwards.

We have a problem at full-back, Kevin O'Neill is out and Declan Brennan is not imposing and is definitely one who struggles under a high ball but Michael Foley and Chalky White should be available for selection and those two are very good under high ball.

Is it true Ciaran McManus wears Willie Heffernan pyjamas?
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

When Willie Heffernan stares into the sun, the sun flinches!  ;D

Only one more week to go now till we're all heading down to Queen's County. The closer this game gets the more nervous I'm getting from a Kildare point of view. We seem to be a lot of pundits 'dark horse' for the season and there's a lot of confidence and optimism around the county. That worries me because the Biffos won't fear us one bit. Why should they either because our recent record in Leinster is abysmal and league form is about as reliable come championship time, as Cheltenham form is at Aintree. Cribben will know a lot of the Kildare team like the back of his hand as well. I reckon we should have enough in the locker to beat them by a few points but memories of Wicklow last year temper my confidence. The game being away from Croke Park is a positive for us though.

Team I reckon will start:

1. Corley (Tight call with McCormack but probably shades it after his performance in Navan)
2. McGrillen (Excellent debut season so far apart from the Armagh game when Clarke gave him a bit of a roasting. His future will lie further out the field but his height and pace are a great asset to the full back line)
3. Foley (Has been tried here in the recent challenges. It's a bit of a concern to be going in with a novice full back but he's the type of guy that you feel could play in any position. O'Neill can't get back soon enough though)
4. MacLochlainn (This position looks up for grabs. For me, Flats is better out the field and has never really looked confident in the corner. Mac's experience over Deccie Brennan I think will win out. Could be the guy to pick up McNamee but he needs to be disciplined and not be giving away silly frees)
5. Scanlon (Chalky is apparently flying in training but McGeeney is a huge fan of this lad and I can see him getting the nod. Great man to hoover up the breaks around the middle)
6. Flanagan (One of Kildare's best players in the league. Certain starter)
7. Conway (He's going to be a key player for us this campaign. If he's on song and we get enough ball through him he has the ability to deliver the type of diagonal ball into the forward line that is impossible to defend. I reckon he's the best distributor of the ball we've had since Nuxer. If we're losing out around the middle though and he's ran at we could have a problem. His defending looked suspect at times during the league)
8. Earley (Vital he's on song for us. If he can dominate midfield than we could be in for a good day)
9. Flynn (Another position that's up for grabs. Kelly made good progress after a shaky start against Armagh but he's not a ball winner and his future will probably lie in the forward line. Flynn's probably on his last chance with the management and he needs to keep the head)
10. Kavanagh (Has started to finally fulfill his potential at senior level. He's a confidence player and it's good that he's coming off the back of a solid league. Needs to be chipping in with his 3 or 4 points a game for us to make an impact this year)
11. Paudie (I think the fact that this game is away from Croke Park is going to suit him more than most. He seems to lack the mobility to be as effective at Croker as he is at the tighter provincial grounds. Has the ability to kick long range points that could be badly needed)
12. Leper (He's been messed around over the past few years by being played in almost every position on the pitch. Has benefitted from being left in the forwards and he needs to keep up the sort of scoring he was doing during the league)
13. Smith (Hasn't hit the heights of last year this time around just yet but he was on the go all year with the u21s, the seniors and the sash in the county championship. If he's fully refreshed the hard ground should bring out the best in him. A real goal threat that we've lacked since Fennin at his peak)
14. Roli (Donnelly is apparently only 50/50 after having some work done on the knee. Roli looked a man reborn in the league and he offers a real ball winning presence in at full forward. I feel that games sometimes pass him by out in the half forward line and we're better off deploying him inside)
15. JD (The main man up front for us. If he's held or god forbid, injured, than we are shagged)

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GAA_Punter

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: GAA_Punter on May 20, 2009, 12:15:13 PM
Any team news

According to the Leinster Leader, Kevin O'Neill is definitely out for Kildare. Keith Cribben is also out with a hamstring injury and Ken Donnelly is a doubt having undergone minor surgery on his knee. Mikey Hartnett is available though having shaken an injury.

There are rumours on the Kildare site that Alan Smith is now doubtful as well but I don't know how accurate that is.

Team will probably be named after training tomorrow night.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GAA_Punter

Gotta say all those injury doubts are a huge worry considering i have had a good cut on kildare -3 ,
Full team news would be very welcome.

cill_dara

Kildare Team Named:

Tom Corley (Moorefield);

Hugh McGrillen (Celbridge),
Mick Foley (Athy),
Declan Brennan (Rathangan);

Emmet Bolton (Eadestown),
Brian Flanagan (Johnstownbridge),
Michael Conway (Nurney);

Daryl Flynn (Moorefield),
Dermot Earley (Sarsfields);

James Kavanagh (Ballymore),
Padraig O'Neill (St Laurence's),
Eamon Callaghan (Naas);

Alan Smith (Sarsfields),
Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield),
John Doyle (Allenwood) - Captain

To me Emmet Bolton is a huge surprise for the wing back spot. Supposedly doing very well in training though. Overall more or less as strong as we can be bar Kevin O' Neill.
Excitement is building now!!
Cant fuppin wait!