Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on May 10, 2009, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on May 10, 2009, 05:31:25 PM

Does that mean that a poster who doesn't agree with him can't post a critical comment or even read the thread?

No I wouldn't go that far, can't is a strong word there but for those of us that didn't honestly believe at the start that he was actually going to spill the beans to his
successful way of thinking or his superior tactical nous at critical times during games, not to mention come out and castigate his players after any kind of infraction to
the rules of the game see most of this thread for what it is.... a cringeworthy weekly whinge fest :'(  from the usual suspects of envy and resentment.
I quite enjoy his column.. :)

I couldn't agree more.  ;D

Fixed that for ye 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tyrones own on May 10, 2009, 05:31:25 PM

Does that mean that a poster who doesn't agree with him can't post a critical comment or even read the thread?

No I wouldn't go that far, can't is a strong word there but for those of us that didn't honestly believe at the start that he was actually going to spill the beans to his
successful way of thinking or his superior tactical nous at critical times during games, not to mention come out and castigate his players after any kind of infraction to
the rules of the game see most of this thread Mickey's column for what it is.... a cringeworthy weekly whinge fest;)

Tyrones own

Strange how the envy all stems from the same few counties  :D
read it and weep girls ;D
  - Walter Lippmann

DennistheMenace

It does make me weep reading it funny enough.

bigpaul

Well,I waited three months before making any comment on the merit of Mickey's column,so I take it I am not one of 'the usual suspects' who takes part in the 'weekly whinge fest'. Having read criticism on here of everyone who analyses or comments on gaelic games,from 'Pat the shite' to Frank Mitchell, I can't see why Mickey should be any different to the rest, especially since he has seen fit to question the quality of some of that analysis himself! I don't enjoy his column. I never expected any insight into the tactics employed by an inter-county manager, much less criticism of his players.I find his articles long-winded,take the following example:
'If particular games were used as templates for observation and analysis in advance of the representative forum,and interpretation from different perspectives given,then a more comprehensive understanding would be available to all and,when shared in a non threatening environment,this would inevitably lead to better practice.'
I am beginning to suspect he was involved in the drafting of the Belfast Agreement!

Mike Sheehy

Agreed.....he suffers from the same windbag tendencies as a certain Tymoan poster on here. One bloated, convoluted sentence after another.  It must be a Tyrone thing.

Tyrones own

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 10, 2009, 10:41:55 PM
It does make me weep reading it funny enough.

I wouldn't doubt it, he does seem to have had the habit of giving his neighbours lots to weep about long before he ever had a column. :P
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 10, 2009, 10:56:16 PM
Agreed.....he suffers from the same windbag tendencies as a certain Tymoan poster on here. One bloated, convoluted sentence after another.  It must be a Tyrone thing.

Yerra FFS beating ye bies out the gates of Croke Park is the only Tyrone thing that matters here Mikey...but then ye know that ;D
  - Walter Lippmann

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYerra FFS cheating ye bies out the gates of Croke Park is the only Tyrone thing that matters here Mikey...but then ye know that

fixed that for you dubya.

Donnellys Hollow

I don't know why people who are involved closely with teams take up writing these newspaper columns.

They're hardly going to reveal any team 'secrets' or anything like that.

Having read a few of Harte's articles, he's just coming across as a right moaner as far as I'm concerned.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Tyrones own

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 10, 2009, 11:08:35 PM
QuoteYerra FFS cheating ye bies out the gates of Croke Park is the only Tyrone thing that matters here Mikey...but then ye know that

fixed that for you dubya.

Wha........?  Ba...:D  Ba...:D  you've finally lost it ye poor b**tard, how sad to have come down to this as an excuse.
Tormented or demented? hard to say which :'(
  - Walter Lippmann

tbrick18

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 10, 2009, 11:20:20 PM
I don't know why people who are involved closely with teams take up writing these newspaper columns.

They're hardly going to reveal any team 'secrets' or anything like that.

Having read a few of Harte's articles, he's just coming across as a right moaner as far as I'm concerned.

Two reasons.....
Money
Ego

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 10, 2009, 11:27:04 PM
Two reasons.....
Money
Ego

True  ;D

But I don't see how this is going to benefit either Tyrone or Harte himself in the long term. I don't think the column has reflected well on him and it could come back to bite him on the arse in the future.

Tyrones own

I'd say it could bite him where ever it likes DH....he'll have an ass pocket full of Celtic crosses on one side and a fat bill fold on the other.
Do you honestly think he cares what the keyboard warriors here think of his column, after all, you're all still buying it ::)
  - Walter Lippmann

Donnellys Hollow

I'm sure Mickey couldn't give a fiddlers what people think of his column but I just don't think it is appropriate for team managers to have such columns.

I remember Micko had one a few years ago in the Examiner but he just came out with the usual raméis and Kerry cute hoorism that you'd expect from him. Harte seems like more of a rent-a-quote on a whole range of topics from the International Rules to video evidence and I don't think it will do his popularity any good outside Tyrone. I certainly can't see it being well received by GAA hq.

Btw, I've never bought a copy of the Irish News in my life!