Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 03, 2009, 08:18:08 PM
That was an interview. Theres a big difference between that and a weekly column or are you too stupid to tell.

Face facts. Harte never shuts his trap and his constant harping on about this and that is becoming very tiresome. Mickey harte needs to realize that we had a great association long before he came along and we will have a great association long after he is gone. The association is bigger than one mouthy manager and its about time this media-obsessed, egocentric johhny come lately was appraised of that fact.

mmmm yes of course.

"The yellow card effectively takes the tackle out of the game as a player will not tackle a fellow that is running at him any more.

"It's as simple as that, they are taking the physicality out of the game," O'Connor added.

http://www.the-kingdom.ie/news/story/?trs=mhaukfsngb

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 03, 2009, 10:25:12 PM
Being fully apprised of your anal musings my honest appraisal is that they are worthless.                                                    

The only thing more predictable than MH's weekly column Sheehy, is your weekly-plus whinge and moan about it. Get a life (and a dictionary).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 03, 2009, 08:18:08 PM
That was an interview. Theres a big difference between that and a weekly column or are you too stupid to tell.

Face facts. Harte never shuts his trap and his constant harping on about this and that is becoming very tiresome. Mickey harte needs to realize that we had a great association long before he came along and we will have a great association long after he is gone. The association is bigger than one mouthy manager and its about time this media-obsessed, egocentric johhny come lately was appraised of that fact.

Pot-kettle-black  ;)

orangeman

Whether you agree with him or not, he is always quite rational and his articles are well thought out - unlike some whose articles are simply designed to provoke.

saffron sam2

I note a damning appraisal of Mickey Harte's teams in Sunday's Tribune from Pete McGrath in the gentlemanly way that Pete conducts himself. Others should take note.

In many ways McGrath was a forerunner to Mickey Harte – an articulate, spiritual, thoughtful, dignified man – but as McGrath promptly notes, "Mickey would have different philosophies to me."

"It's a lot to do with where you come from and what you've been brought up with. Down football has traditionally been about flair and attacking football. You still expect your defenders to defend but in an open honest way, to get to the ball first and to tackle and pressurise without getting the whole team behind the ball and adopting tactics that might border on the cynical. That has never been the Down way and when you've had the success we've achieved playing with style and expression, I still think that ultimately will win out."
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bensars

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 05, 2009, 11:50:17 AM
I note a damning appraisal of Mickey Harte's teams in Sunday's Tribune from Pete McGrath in the gentlemanly way that Pete conducts himself. Others should take note.

In many ways McGrath was a forerunner to Mickey Harte – an articulate, spiritual, thoughtful, dignified man – but as McGrath promptly notes, "Mickey would have different philosophies to me."

"It's a lot to do with where you come from and what you've been brought up with. Down football has traditionally been about flair and attacking football. You still expect your defenders to defend but in an open honest way, to get to the ball first and to tackle and pressurise without getting the whole team behind the ball and adopting tactics that might border on the cynical. That has never been the Down way and when you've had the success we've achieved playing with style and expression, I still think that ultimately will win out."

Isnt that wonderful.

Maybe if they had adopted Mr Hartes techniques and abandoned the self appointed royalty status of Ulster football, a panel of 25 young men from the Mourne county would be sitting this morning with all ireland  under 21 medals.

But then again wasnt it better to play with style and expression, the Down way, and lose !

Fuzzman

Style and expression indeed.
I do long for the old days when Tyrone lined out a "Small" talented team with pure footballers and let other coaches use the tactic stop Tyrone playing their usual game & we'll be fine

Can any of ye Statto lads publish Tyrone's scores in the years we've won the AI.
Was there loads of low scoring negative football played?

I'd happily give up two of our AI's if we can just get back to being an attractive (No not that way), high scoring, exciting team to watch again.

Puckoon

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 05, 2009, 11:50:17 AM

Pete certainly talking a fair smattering of shite there.

Mike Sheehy

Well said Pete McGrath. Thank god there are some Gaels in Ulster who want to see Gaelic football played properly.

At least one person in Ulster is not  kow-towing to "Saint" Mickey and his church of cynicism. 

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 05, 2009, 09:01:12 PM
Well said Pete McGrath. Thank god there are some Gaels in Ulster who want to see Gaelic football played properly.

At least one person in Ulster is not  kow-towing to "Saint" Mickey and his church of cynicism. 

Pete lost  ::) and Mickey wouldn't send a team out to stand aside and let Cork run through for a goal like that as Mayo and Cork do with Kerry in senior finals.   

bigpaul

Some Kerry people still complain about the tactics Down used in the '68 All-Ireland Final ! At a Q&A session a couple of years ago, Ross Carr said that the forwards on the Down teams he played on were expected to track back and do a share of defensive duties!
On the substantive point of the topic,I have to say that I have found Mickey's column very disappointing.

corn02

I tell you what if I had three celtic crosses in my back pocket I wouldn't care if I put 15 men on the goal line.

Aaron Boone

The 2nd half in Portlaoise yest had a crowded midfield and a madness from Down only seemingly associated from Ulster teams.

The first half was the purist side yet Down lost midfield & more all the way, but anyone could see from the stands the HARTE-mindest coming in in the 2nd half. Maybe the team played the 2nd half regardless of the way McGrath had instructed it?

The wind wasn't a major factor as it was sideways towards the apartments in PL.

tyssam5

Sounds like you should give Pete a run at the Kerry job. O'Connor has been worshiping at the church of Mickey for some time now.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteSounds like you should give Pete a run at the Kerry job.

lets not lose the run of ourselves now.......
No Ulsterman would ever be fit to manage a Kerry team (it is sacrilegious to to even mention it) .........however, McGrath would come a lot closer than most I suppose.