NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: onefineday on February 08, 2024, 01:31:00 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 07, 2024, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on February 06, 2024, 07:49:02 PMWould the league be even more important if  after provincial champs the seeding went by league standings.

It would obviously be more important but the reality is there is no way this will ever happen while the provincial councils have such a massive chunk of votes.

I think making is so that the provincial losers weren't the 2nd seeds would improve things some small bit.

We need the league to matter more and both suggestions above would help.

I see a few mentioning the importance of winning Ulster for Ulster sides, but I've been saying for a while, once people realise the futility of it, the allure will diminish and crowds will start to drop off. I'd like to see Derry win again this year, simply for 3 in a row, but they might be better served by an early exit. That said, there's definitely a few Ulster teams who really could do with that win - Donegal, Down and Armagh should all be focused on Ulster success.
As for Derry fans thinking Mickey is the missing element guaranteed to bring us Sam, I can assure you, there's plenty of us who think his last decade with Tyrone did them no favours and weren't in favour of his conservative approach coming to Derry - the jury is very definitely out, McKenna cup or not!!

I never understand this kind of thinking. It's the Ulster Championship ffs. The league is downplayed, McKenna mocked and now the provencial.
Talking about a team being better off out of Ulster as it might give your county a better shot at winning Sam..? I just can't understand this thinking. A tournament (All Ireland) that at the start of the year, 2 or 3 teams can realistically win.
I'd love to see Derry win Ulster again, and not just because it would be 3 in row, because it's the Ulster title, the best county in the province.
I'd love 6 or 7 in a row. If you're winning Ulster, you're not a million miles off...

Armagh18

Agree 100%. Would love Armagh to win Ulster this year and it would mean the world to both the squad and supporters.

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 08, 2024, 04:04:15 PMAgree 100%. Would love Armagh to win Ulster this year and it would mean the world to both the squad and supporters.

Clones, Ulster Final day. One of the great sporting occasions

MC

Quote from: JoG2 on February 08, 2024, 03:59:18 PM
Quote from: onefineday on February 08, 2024, 01:31:00 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 07, 2024, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on February 06, 2024, 07:49:02 PMWould the league be even more important if  after provincial champs the seeding went by league standings.

It would obviously be more important but the reality is there is no way this will ever happen while the provincial councils have such a massive chunk of votes.

I think making is so that the provincial losers weren't the 2nd seeds would improve things some small bit.

We need the league to matter more and both suggestions above would help.

I see a few mentioning the importance of winning Ulster for Ulster sides, but I've been saying for a while, once people realise the futility of it, the allure will diminish and crowds will start to drop off. I'd like to see Derry win again this year, simply for 3 in a row, but they might be better served by an early exit. That said, there's definitely a few Ulster teams who really could do with that win - Donegal, Down and Armagh should all be focused on Ulster success.
As for Derry fans thinking Mickey is the missing element guaranteed to bring us Sam, I can assure you, there's plenty of us who think his last decade with Tyrone did them no favours and weren't in favour of his conservative approach coming to Derry - the jury is very definitely out, McKenna cup or not!!

I never understand this kind of thinking. It's the Ulster Championship ffs. The league is downplayed, McKenna mocked and now the provencial.
Talking about a team being better off out of Ulster as it might give your county a better shot at winning Sam..? I just can't understand this thinking. A tournament (All Ireland) that at the start of the year, 2 or 3 teams can realistically win.
I'd love to see Derry win Ulster again, and not just because it would be 3 in row, because it's the Ulster title, the best county in the province.
I'd love 6 or 7 in a row. If you're winning Ulster, you're not a million miles off...

Some think Harte kept a poor Tyrone team competitive for quite a few years when they had no right to be and with a few new quality additions they were just becoming really competitive again. The AI winning team could be described as Harte's team - although possibly with a bounce from new management - and a degree of luck, which all teams need. Harte also made huge improvements to Louth - Derry are probably hoping he can do similar with them - although incremental improvements often get harder and harder to achieve.

greatpoint

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2024, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on February 08, 2024, 01:07:28 PMBringing group stages into the all ireland might diminished the league a bit with before you may have only two championship games and one pre backdoor so the league was seen as the competition that you could fall back on if you had an ealrly exit from all ireland

One should never tear down something without knowing why it was built in the first place. GK Chesterton

The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.

Rossfan

All set for trip to Croker tomorrow.
Going by the number of injuries rumoured plus Donie suspended it could be a long evening.
Hopefully we can keep it tight throughout (and bore the TV audience) and who knows?

Those of ye into betting on lost causes it's apparently 9 to 1 Ros, 10 to 1 Draw.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

Only 1 team can win a All-Ireland and that tends to be Dublin this weather. Best to compete for whatever else is on the table.

Blowitupref

Sean Kelly back a boost for Galway but still without the likes of Liam Slike,Damien Comer,Cillian McDaid,Shane Walsh.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gael85

Clifford brothers starting for kerry.

JoG2

Quote from: Gael85 on February 16, 2024, 10:03:15 PMClifford brothers starting for kerry.

Was away over half term, forgot to get teams in... Only had the 2 weeks to do it  ;D

5times5times

OConnor some bullsh1ter.. said he'd rest the clifford brothers till middle of league, yet they barely got 1.5 games in.

manfromdelmonte

Dubs getting frees much easier in croke park. Tackle the man everytime and get away with it

screenexile

Derry 6 ahead at HT controlled it well this half.

Monaghan with a lot of possession but haven't know what to do with it. They have a bit of pace if they'd use it right but O'Hanlon looks to have tweaked the hamstring so doubt he'll be back out.

McKaigue will do well not to get sent off!

NotedObserver

Quote from: screenexile on February 17, 2024, 05:40:01 PMDerry 6 ahead at HT controlled it well this half.

Monaghan with a lot of possession but haven't know what to do with it. They have a bit of pace if they'd use it right but O'Hanlon looks to have tweaked the hamstring so doubt he'll be back out.

Why is that? On this year and last year recent performances alone not sure he should start but suppose the experience could be valuable

screenexile

Quote from: NotedObserver on February 17, 2024, 05:41:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 17, 2024, 05:40:01 PMDerry 6 ahead at HT controlled it well this half.

Why is that? On this year and last year recent performances alone not sure he should start but suppose the experience could be valuable

Doing stupid stuff he ran across one of the Monaghan lads then actually got his yellow for roaring in the face of a Monaghan player when we got the goal. Think he got the last free moved forward for mouthing as well.

Needs to tone it down a bit he's been very good apart from that!