Football team of the 90s

Started by theticklemister, August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Quote from: dlgael on August 16, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.

Did they not have opportunities in the previous 125 years?!

Greg Blaney and James McCartan along with Mickey Linden

Rossfan

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 16, 2018, 10:24:25 AM
Pat McEnaney performance for Meath in the 96 replay would surely have him ahead of John McDermott?
😀😁😂
Séamus Prior 1998 up there too >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Sean Og de Paor and Ja Fallon?

Both played their best football in the 90's.

Joyce and Donnellan would really be more 00's given that they so young in 98. Ciaran McDonald would be more the 00's also.

Hound

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 16, 2018, 09:11:40 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 08:27:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2018, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: dlgael on August 16, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.
Canavan was better in the 90s
I agree

Others I would suggest are James Nallen, Anthony Tohill, wee James McCartan, Ja Fallon and Charlie Redmond
Charlie shouldn't be within an asses roar of that team!!  Kieran McKeever would be worthy of consideration - thought he was a great corner back.
Charlie was the best forward on the Dublin team that challenged for All Irelands in the four years 92-95.

He was the only Dub forward to win more than one All Star in the 90s. He won 3. He was an excellent player. Maybe there were 6 better in the 90s, but he definitely should be in the running.

bcarrier

1990   Cork    0–11   Meath   0–9   
1991   Down   1–16   Meath   1–14   
1992 Donegal   0–18   Dublin   0–14   
1993   Derry   1–14   Cork   2–8   
1994   Down   1–12   Dublin   0–13   
1995   Dublin   1–10   Tyrone   0–12   
1996   Meath   2–9   Mayo   1–11   
1997 Kerry   0–13   Mayo   1–7   
1998   Galway   1–14   Kildare   1–10   
1999   Meath   1–11   Cork   1–8   

Down and Meath double winners. Meath also beaten twice. Cork won one lost 2.

All three should have more players than Derry unless the National League was very important :-\

All Stars Here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All_Stars_Awards_winners_(football)#1990

The Subbie

Purely for his performance in the 96 schmozzle Boots McGuinness deserves a mention.

Jinxy

Boots is another good example of a player we didn't appreciate enough at the time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2018, 12:35:34 PM
Boots is another good example of a player we didn't appreciate enough at the time.

https://youtu.be/CUio0gU4NCY
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

God when you hear some of the names being bandied about it makes you wonder how anyone watched football in the 90's.
Henry Downey
Greg Blayney
Paul Curran
Keith Barr
James Nallon
Charlie Redmond

Wouldn't get within an asses roar of any good team nowadays. In hindsight they were very average footballers. Of their time I suppose.

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 16, 2018, 11:43:41 AM
Sean Og de Paor and Ja Fallon?

Both played their best football in the 90's.

Joyce and Donnellan would really be more 00's given that they so young in 98. Ciaran McDonald would be more the 00's also.

Joyce maybe, streets ahead even then of most forwards named on the team anyway. Donnellan was as good in '98 as he ever would be, should be the first name on that list. Tomas Mannion for sheer versatility should be there also, ahead of a whole host of inferior northern representatives.

seafoid

Pat Fallon from Mayo was a great midfielder
Blaney was a genius.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2018, 12:50:25 PM
God when you hear some of the names being bandied about it makes you wonder how anyone watched football in the 90's.
Henry Downey
Greg Blayney
Paul Curran
Keith Barr
James Nallon
Charlie Redmond

Wouldn't get within an asses roar of any good team nowadays. In hindsight they were very average footballers. Of their time I suppose.

Tyrone would be delighted to have a forward of the quality of Greg Blaney on their team nowadays.

JoG2

Henry Downey
Greg Blayney
Paul Curran
Keith Barr
James Nallon
Charlie Redmond

Shouldn't, but Blaney and Downey average footballers? If you know nothing about something, best to keep your counsel

BennyCake

dublin7

Henry Downey
Greg Blayney
Paul Curran
Keith Barr
James Nallon
Charlie Redmond

I have to agree with JoG2. You obviously didn't watch much football in the 90s. Paul Curran was a class act. He would be one of the few players on the 95 team who would make the current Dublin side. Best footballer in the country in 1995. One of the first breed of attacking wing backs in the game. Always could be relied on for a point in big games.  One of the dubs best players in the late 90s when the all the established stars such as Charlie Redmond, Keith Barr and Mick Deegan retired