The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on November 22, 2017, 08:51:54 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 22, 2017, 01:41:25 AM
Well, at least the case for defensive strengthening has been made painfully reclarified five weeks out from the transfer window.

It's not just the defense, the midfield provides no cover for the back four

That's what I was looking at last night. When Seville upped it, midfield was just run over. Liverpool were defending 25 yards out from their own goal. Reminded me of a creaking board. The snap was only ever minutes away.

I like Jordan Henderson. He gets a foot in and breaks up a lot of play, but he is not a controlling midfielder. What they need in those moments is someone to push out, win the ball back, and crucially hold it up and pass it around. When the pressing game is bypassed, the defense is seriously compromised.

Walter Cronc

Agree with the midfield issue. Arsenal have the same problem - 1 or 2 players not tracking causes all sorts of problems for the defence.

Even with VVD and Kieta if others aren't working then problems will arise.

The reason teams under Mourinho can defend is that everyone does it in unison. Look at how Martial has been forced to adapt and track.

lurganblue

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 22, 2017, 09:04:09 AM
Well, at least the case for defensive strengthening has been made painfully reclarified five weeks out from the transfer window.

That's what I was looking at last night. When Seville upped it, midfield was just run over. Liverpool were defending 25 yards out from their own goal. Reminded me of a creaking board. The snap was only ever minutes away.

I like Jordan Henderson. He gets a foot in and breaks up a lot of play, but he is not a controlling midfielder. What they need in those moments is someone to push out, win the ball back, and crucially hold it up and pass it around. When the pressing game is bypassed, the defense is seriously compromised.

Mid table premier league standard

TabClear

There is a young lad Lucas at Lazio playing well as holding midfielder this season. Might be worth a punt?? ;D

In all seriousness it was definitely the midfielders at fault for the pressure yesterday. Defenders made individual errors but Gigi and Henderson just could not get into it. Can helped when he came on but the set piece goal was always likely. Aw well, beat MOscow, win the Group and take Real Madrid out in the last 16.

laoislad

Quote from: TabClear on November 22, 2017, 10:27:09 AM

There is a young lad Lucas at Lazio playing well as holding midfielder this season. Might be worth a punt?? ;D

In all seriousness it was definitely the midfielders at fault for the pressure yesterday. Defenders made individual errors but Gigi and Henderson just could not get into it. Can helped when he came on but the set piece goal was always likely. Aw well, beat MOscow, win the Group and take Real Madrid out in the last 16.
Wouldn't be the first time...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

under the bar

From Paddy Power:   ;D

Feel like Liverpool made a deal with the devil in Istanbul, that meant they would win on the night, but have to suffer ridiculous 3-0 collapses for all of eternity.

TabClear

Quote from: under the bar on November 22, 2017, 11:54:37 AM
From Paddy Power:   ;D

Feel like Liverpool made a deal with the devil in Istanbul, that meant they would win on the night, but have to suffer ridiculous 3-0 collapses for all of eternity.

I ll take that deal.

5 Times....

supersub

Midfield soft or not, all three goals were defensive errors. It is not a coincidence.

Moreno x 2 plus shocking marking from a corner in the last minute. Unforgivable stuff.

Moreno actually at fault 4 times for 2 goals. Give away the free kick, then got caught out (albeit zonal marking) for a near post header. Poor touch from Coutinho's knock down followed by a trip for the pen.

Defensive errors and zonal marking were the fault for the three goals. Midfield don't make the defence make mistakes so to speak, and it is a very common pattern. So yes midfield may have been overrun but the root of the problem is basic defending. Who leaves a man unmarked 10 yards out in the last minute?? Mental. Absolutely mental.

JoG2

Quote from: supersub on November 22, 2017, 01:01:46 PM
Midfield soft or not, all three goals were defensive errors. It is not a coincidence.

Moreno x 2 plus shocking marking from a corner in the last minute. Unforgivable stuff.

Moreno actually at fault 4 times for 2 goals. Give away the free kick, then got caught out (albeit zonal marking) for a near post header. Poor touch from Coutinho's knock down followed by a trip for the pen.

Defensive errors and zonal marking were the fault for the three goals. Midfield don't make the defence make mistakes so to speak, and it is a very common pattern. So yes midfield may have been overrun but the root of the problem is basic defending. Who leaves a man unmarked 10 yards out in the last minute?? Mental. Absolutely mental.

not be classed more a slight touch to an opponents football boot, who had a good think and then decided to throw himself to the turf like a big blouse, than a trip? Stupid by Moreno though to give the player the opportunity to dive, sorry, go to ground.

The Liverpool midfield is incredibly soft centred

Gabriel_Hurl

AZOffaly

Gabriel_Hurl

Farrandeelin

Where's the Stallion these days? He'd be in his element today banging on about Klopp being a shit manager etc.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 22, 2017, 02:46:13 PM
He's not soft centred  ;)

He's also five foot seven and a midfielder.

Just because he's black doesn't mean you're getting Kante #2. More creative player than that.