Hendrick
Hoolahan
2 from Meyler, Arter, Quinn, Judge, O'Kane, Gibson

Keane
Walters
Long
Murphy

I cant see any major shift from this unless there is a load of injuries

If you push me on the maybes probably McShane (cant believe im doing it) as Ward was poor in the recent games and not getting any game time.
In midfield Meyler and maybe Arter if he brings his club form to the international side

Main Street

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 19, 2015, 11:41:53 AM
If the squad was to be announced tommorow with no injuries I would go for

Randolph
Given
Elliot

Keogh
Clarke
O'Shea
Wilson
Christie
Coleman
and one from Ward/McShane

McGeady
Whelan
McCarthy
Brady
McLean
Hendrick
Hoolahan
2 from Meyler, Arter, Quinn, Judge, O'Kane, Gibson

Keane
Walters
Long
Murphy

I cant see any major shift from this unless there is a load of injuries

If you push me on the maybes probably McShane (cant believe im doing it) as Ward was poor in the recent games and not getting any game time.
In midfield Meyler and maybe Arter if he brings his club form to the international side
Thats probably close enough to the real thing.
I think we need a fit, bona fide FB and Ward is the only LB around, possibly Cunningham can put in a late run.
Ward was good against Germany.
Against B&H, he looked rusty but he was also left isolated to deal with the attacking threat which kept coming his way and picked up a yellow card  covering for Whelan getting nutmegged. Full backs need a cover when defending the biggest threat, Duff use to have face 3, even a basic winger like McClean was constantly covered by 2 defenders. And it should be noted that B&H scored with Ward off the pitch, the stand in LB Wilson spaced out and late to cover the danger, a bona fide fb like Ward would  likely have been more alert, anticipating that McClean could get done in.

balladmaker

Was at the game in the Aviva on Monday night, super atmosphere and result.

On entrance to the stadium, everyone was patted down for bottles, cans etc. I assume.  However, it was obvious by the empty Smirnoff bottles in the toilets at half time, as well as a fair amount of intoxicated people staggering around, that a good few had got through the net.  There was loads of security on duty, guards etc, but I got the impression that a certain level of drunkeness will be permitted.  Don't get me wrong, I like a few pints as much as anyone, but stands packed with children is not the place for it. Not to forget the drunken idiot who lambasted me and my 5 yr old son with a few F words for not getting out of his way when leaving the stadium.  He failed to notice that there was a queue of several thousand in front of us trying to get out as well.

All in all, a great night, but could do with being cleaned up a little from a drink perspective when children are in attendance.

JPGJOHNNYG

Ha I was only talking about him a few days ago and looks like he has done a Grealish too!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fai-lose-out-to-england-in-battle-for-u17-arsenal-starlet-34218104.html

If they dont want to play fo us then they dont want to play for us fair enough. I still think someone needs to point out to these guys that yes they could be the next Wayne Rooney but they are also more likely to be the next one cap Franny Jeffers. Now compare his international career to say that of Jonny Walters who has now become a national hero.

ashman

Irish soccer fans getting angry over young English lads playing for England.  In the last we two irish underage soccer teams were pump by scotland and well beat by Lithuania .

Billys Boots

Quote from: ashman on November 20, 2015, 08:46:44 AM
Irish soccer fans getting angry over young English lads playing for England.  In the last we two irish underage soccer teams were pump by scotland and well beat by Lithuania .

Keep going, it's amusing and eventually someone will bite. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

johnneycool

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 20, 2015, 08:06:21 AM
Ha I was only talking about him a few days ago and looks like he has done a Grealish too!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fai-lose-out-to-england-in-battle-for-u17-arsenal-starlet-34218104.html

If they dont want to play fo us then they dont want to play for us fair enough. I still think someone needs to point out to these guys that yes they could be the next Wayne Rooney but they are also more likely to be the next one cap Franny Jeffers. Now compare his international career to say that of Jonny Walters who has now become a national hero.

I thought you needed to play for the first team to be truly affiliated ala Grealish, has that changed?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: ashman on November 20, 2015, 08:46:44 AM

Not angry at all they can play for whoever they want the fact that they qualified to play for Ireland would suggest they are not just monolithic English lads. As for the poor performances in the youth set up your right it is a worry and maybe its time some of the coaches involved got the boot.

macdanger2

Yeah, Noel King seems to have been involved at underage with little or no success for an age. How long is Dolan there??

Would these guys be considered to be doing a good job with what they've got? Or is it jobs for the boys??

Maroon Manc

I only mentioned a few days ago that I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to England.

We're wasting our time picking up kids in England at 15, if there good enough for England the majority of them will pick England. Once there good enough to be a professional footballer and face a choice between England/Ireland than those that want to play for Ireland will pick us like McLaughlin/Kilbane/Clark have done previously.

We're more likely to take lads in the mid 20's who are not good enough for England. Its far easier to get an England cap now than it was 20 years ago for various so factoring this in with the lack of Irish talent at top English clubs then Ireland are heading for huge difficulty to qualify for tournaments in the coming years.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2015, 01:49:24 PM

I only mentioned a few days ago that I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to England.

We're wasting our time picking up kids in England at 15, if there good enough for England the majority of them will pick England. Once there good enough to be a professional footballer and face a choice between England/Ireland than those that want to play for Ireland will pick us like McLaughlin/Kilbane/Clark have done previously.

We're more likely to take lads in the mid 20's who are not good enough for England. Its far easier to get an England cap now than it was 20 years ago for various so factoring this in with the lack of Irish talent at top English clubs then Ireland are heading for huge difficulty to qualify for tournaments in the coming years.

I dont entirely agree with this. First of all fifa keep changing the rules about swapping over so it will likely change again. Of the current squad mccarthy, mc geady, walters, arter, keogh all played in the youth teams. Mcgeady only played for us because the SFA and his club couldnt agree when to release him for games. The FAI took him and when the SFA came back to him he politely declined to return. Christie hadnt represented anyone before so had no ties it was only ciaran clarke who played for England all his youth and then switched to us. I think we are better getting them early, those that like the club team atmosphere/spirit will stay. If the english lads are really 'good' enough for england then like rooney, gerard, scholes, carragher, ferdinand, kane etc they wont play for ireland in the first place.

general_lee

Young fellas at the early stage of their career need to take whatever break they can get, playing youth football for England looks better on the CV, so when they inevitably don't break into their Premier League first team, at least they've something to show for whatever prospective Championship/League One side ends up signing them

foxcommander

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 20, 2015, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 20, 2015, 01:49:24 PM

I dont entirely agree with this. First of all fifa keep changing the rules about swapping over so it will likely change again. Of the current squad mccarthy, mc geady, walters, arter, keogh all played in the youth teams. Mcgeady only played for us because the SFA and his club couldnt agree when to release him for games. The FAI took him and when the SFA came back to him he politely declined to return. Christie hadnt represented anyone before so had no ties it was only ciaran clarke who played for England all his youth and then switched to us. I think we are better getting them early, those that like the club team atmosphere/spirit will stay. If the english lads are really 'good' enough for england then like rooney, gerard, scholes, carragher, ferdinand, kane etc they wont play for ireland in the first place.

No point trying to identify players at 16. If the ROI scouts are doing their job they should be checking out youth players at all clubs earlier and enticing them with international prospects.

Ciaran Clark switched because of Richard Dunne recommending him - not the FAI recruitment process. What the F were they doing?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: general_lee on November 20, 2015, 03:24:10 PM
Young fellas at the early stage of their career need to take whatever break they can get, playing youth football for England looks better on the CV, so when they inevitably don't break into their Premier League first team, at least they've something to show for whatever prospective Championship/League One side ends up signing them

Yes although as i noted earlier in terms of cv for alot of these lads an international career with ireland is better than no career at all with england. Thats why some need to think things through a bit more. Tabi under the existing rules cant switch back now, would he not have been better waiting a few years and then if he did develop into some top player then switch