FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: theskull1 on November 15, 2014, 06:58:02 PM
The pitch side interviewer on RTE called the game extraordinary. I couldn't he used such a term to describe what I'd watched of the game.
Saw that.... :o Strange choice of word from Tony O'D.

Watched the match back there, grim stuff. I was in Row B behind the goal so view was shite last Friday. Wasn't much better viewing on RTE player.

All over the shop in midfield, Gibson/Hendrick out numbered every time with Naismith and Maloney dropping back.
Keogh had a stormer. Ward a liability yet again, as lads have pointed out McClean was covering him the whole game.

In all fairness, we've been fairly muck since O'Neil has taken over. Probably the best performance we've had was the 0-0 with Italy in Craven Cottage and you could account some of that to the Italians being afraid of the lives after the lad breaking his leg, just before the world cup.

Chatting to a few Celtic supporters after the game and the main issue that they had with O'Neill towards the end of his reign was that he never changed the system, would only change the players mid game.

If  it wasn't for the late goal in Tbilisi and Germany we'd be swimming with the fishes in this group. Going to take a massive turnaround to beat Poland and Scotland and home now.  :-\

AZOffaly

Well, it will, but it's very doable. I think 'big picture' he's probably around where he thought he'd be in the group. I'd imagine he planned for a draw away to Scotland, and a loss in Germany.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2014, 01:00:09 PM
Well, it will, but it's very doable. I think 'big picture' he's probably around where he thought he'd be in the group. I'd imagine he planned for a draw away to Scotland, and a loss in Germany.
Aye but it's actually worse now because it goes by head to head rather than GD.....you'd have to think Germany will get their act together when get players back from injury

AZOffaly

Yeah, but if they beat Scotland, I think they'll finish ahead of them on points anyway, based on that point in Germany at least.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2014, 01:07:36 PM
Yeah, but if they beat Scotland, I think they'll finish ahead of them on points anyway, based on that point in Germany at least.
True, all conjecture at this stage but Scotland are perfectly suited to play away from home, breaking team with serious pace.
Anyway, Poland game in March is a long way away now.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2014, 01:00:09 PM

Yeah, but I'd rather those results. I'd rather Germany had won and drew with the Scots. We'd be two points better off than our main rivals Scotland.  :-\

SHEEDY

why is roy keane wheeled out to answer questions at every bloody press conference? you don't see any other assistant manager having such a role. think he's needs to start keeping a lower profile as everything seems to be about him at the minute. the man is starting to become a distraction and its not going to end well.
nil satis nisi optimum

muppet

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 17, 2014, 06:33:37 PM
why is roy keane wheeled out to answer questions at every bloody press conference? you don't see any other assistant manager having such a role. think he's needs to start keeping a lower profile as everything seems to be about him at the minute. the man is starting to become a distraction and its not going to end well.

The tabloids smell blood.

The question is whose blood will it be?
MWWSI 2017

mouview

Quote from: ballinaman on November 17, 2014, 12:58:44 PM
The pitch side interviewer on RTE called the game extraordinary. I couldn't he used such a term to describe what I'd watched of the game.

All over the shop in midfield, Gibson/Hendrick out numbered every time with Naismith and Maloney dropping back.
Keogh had a stormer. Ward a liability yet again, as lads have pointed out McClean was covering him the whole game.

In all fairness, we've been fairly muck since O'Neil has taken over. Probably the best performance we've had was the 0-0 with Italy in Craven Cottage and you could account some of that to the Italians being afraid of the lives after the lad breaking his leg, just before the world cup.

Chatting to a few Celtic supporters after the game and the main issue that they had with O'Neill towards the end of his reign was that he never changed the system, would only change the players mid game.

If  it wasn't for the late goal in Tbilisi and Germany we'd be swimming with the fishes in this group. Going to take a massive turnaround to beat Poland and Scotland and home now.  :-\

Is Ward seriously the worst player ever to play for Ireland?

Really not much point in getting too worked up about our results, no point in qualifying for a tournament that we'd stink the place out of a-la Poland in '12. We've a dreadfully poor squad and have been very poor for a decade at least now.

ballinaman

Quote from: mouview on November 17, 2014, 08:19:57 PM

Really not much point in getting too worked up about our results, no point in qualifying for a tournament that we'd stink the place out of a-la Poland in '12. We've a dreadfully poor squad and have been very poor for a decade at least now.
See,I'm not so sure about how bad our squad is, look at NI sure FFS.Scotland are no better man for man than us to my mind and look how they are playing. Look at the goal Maloney scored for them in Warsaw never mind Friday. We don't even create chances like those, hoofing it up the pitch.

The difference between the way Coleman plays for Everton and Ireland is ridiculous.

I hoped that when people said it would be Trap with a Derry accent it wouldn't be true but definitely looking that way. How we set up to play at home will tell a lot

mouview

For sure, there seems to be a post-World Cup hangover round Europe (Poland, Israel, Faroes beating Germany, Bosnia, Greece) with standards leveling off a bit. But there's bad and bad in it; we haven't had the culture of playing proper creative, passing football since the heyday of Eoin Hand's time and (with the blip of 2002) we haven't been a feature at international level since the end of the Charlton era. This footballing culture is missing to varying extents amongst all the 'home' nations.

Jell 0 Biafra

seafoid

Mr Pot launches a lacerating attack on Mr Kettle over the media circus surrounding the Irish team. Reporting by Phil Space

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/1117/660297-dunphy-roy-keane-show-must-end-now/

seafoid

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 18, 2014, 01:32:28 AM
There was a heyday of the Eoin Hand era?

Lost out on Goal Difference for 1982 World Cup 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

Videos of the French matches here

http://cerceretsports.blogspot.ch/2012/01/world-cup-qualifying-1982-france_16.html

This is the Lansdowne rd match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ABGLKxG7Q

In 1984 8 teams qualified for the Euros
in 2016 there'll be 24 teams 
It was much harder to qualify

Ireland had better players then - I think part of the reason was the structure of the English game- mostly local players unlike today so good Irish players got more game time at the highest level.

johnneycool

Quote from: ballinaman on November 17, 2014, 08:43:55 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 17, 2014, 08:19:57 PM

See,I'm not so sure about how bad our squad is, look at NI sure FFS.Scotland are no better man for man than us to my mind and look how they are playing. Look at the goal Maloney scored for them in Warsaw never mind Friday. We don't even create chances like those, hoofing it up the pitch.

The difference between the way Coleman plays for Everton and Ireland is ridiculous.

I hoped that when people said it would be Trap with a Derry accent it wouldn't be true but definitely looking that way. How we set up to play at home will tell a lot
The difference is that when at Everton he is encouraged to go forward as he knows McCarthy or Barry will cover for him if he gets caught out.
Martin has always been an uber cautious manager, not into attacking football, so its hardly likely that he tells Coleman to keep going forward at every opportunity and if he did, the already overrun midfield?

In saying that I think he gave thon lad too much latitude and should have got the feet into him a few times.