FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 01, 2013, 03:18:35 PM
O'Neill doesn't see him self as a coach or tactician and I'd expect he would appoint good people to these roles. What he does do though is motivation...Good to see an All Ireland team in the making.

Last few Ireland managers including interims:

Noel King
Trapp
Don Givens
Steve Staunton
Brian Kerr
Mick McCarthy
Wor Jack

Martin O'Neill compares very well that list. Only Trapp would have an unquestionably better pedigree at club level. It will be fascinating to see what he can bring to the international team.
MWWSI 2017

SHEEDY

not convinced by martin oneill, hope i'm proved wrong.
nil satis nisi optimum

Jell 0 Biafra

Realistically, probably about the  best we could have expected.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 01, 2013, 05:51:39 PM

International football does not hold the esteem it once did. Only the high profile countries (kinda) still hold clout.

The Champions League is where it is at for the top tier Managers. After that it is the Premiership.

O'Neill's stock has fallen since stints with Villa and Sunderland.

We are both stuck for choice at the moment, so hopefully we could do each other a big favour.

Main Street

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 01, 2013, 06:35:46 PM

International football does not hold the esteem it once did. Only the high profile countries (kinda) still hold clout.

The Champions League is where it is at for the top tier Managers. After that it is the Premiership.

We are both stuck for choice at the moment, so hopefully we could do each other a big favour.
I don't see why you think his stock fell with Villa,  the club spent the 6th highest amount on transfers, less on wages and finish 6th 3 times in a row, is a reasonable return. Club recoup about 60% of money spent, with transfer sales of Milner, Young and Downing, i.e. if you don't count the Stephen Ireland sting. At worst you'd say he did a good job at Villa. Don't know about the football played.
Sunderland is another matter. it's a mark on his reputation, whether it's a mortal mark is another matter.

The Irish job has a good salary of  something > Eur 1m. I'd say you'd have a fair sized queue of managers who would take the job, but I'd say there was a reaction against appointing a coach from outside these islands. They want a coach who's familiar etc etc.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Main Street on November 01, 2013, 07:54:42 PM

I don't see why you think his stock fell with Villa,  the club spent the 6th highest amount on transfers, less on wages and finish 6th 3 times in a row, is a reasonable return. Club recoup about 60% of money spent, with transfer sales of Milner, Young and Downing, i.e. if you don't count the Stephen Ireland sting. At worst you'd say he did a good job at Villa. Don't know about the football played.
Sunderland is another matter. it's a mark on his reputation, whether it's a mortal mark is another matter.

The Irish job has a good salary of  something > Eur 1m. I'd say you'd have a fair sized queue of managers who would take the job, but I'd say there was a reaction against appointing a coach from outside these islands. They want a coach who's familiar etc etc.

Yeah, his time at Villa was decent. It was just the way he left the club. He had different aspirations to the Board, which is not a negative to his character. The maddest part of his tenure was getting Villa to the last 16 (I think) of the Europa League and putting out a complete reserve team!

naka

shark

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 01, 2013, 09:25:10 PM

Yeah, his time at Villa was decent. It was just the way he left the club. He had different aspirations to the Board, which is not a negative to his character. The maddest part of his tenure was getting Villa to the last 16 (I think) of the Europa League and putting out a complete reserve team!

As a Villa fan I can say that there is quite a mixed view towards O'Neill. He achieved three 6 place finishes in a row, and was in the hunt for top 4 until the final few games on 2 occasions. He also brought the club to a league cup final where it could be claimed that the wrongful non-dismissal of Vidic cost him victory.

He spend quite a bit of money, some very well, some not so. That's not really the issue as all managers make poor buys. The issue was that he spent massive money (and crazy wages) on players who he hardly used. The starting 11 hardly changed week on week and by the time March came around the players were dead on their feet. He never won a game in the month of March in 4 seasons as Villa manager. He also seemed quite tactically small minded in that his team had one way of playing and one way only. That was, soak up pressure and counter with pace (young, agbonlahor) and power (Carew). Villa under his tenure were much better away from home than at Villa Park.  He is undoubtably a man who likes to have control. He had full control over spending and wages at Villa and when the chairman tried to end that arrangement O'Neill walked.

I think he will be well suited to international management. Motivation of players and building of team spirit is his biggest strength. His shortcomings at Villa were largely in areas that won't come in to the equation as Ireland manager.

rodney trotter

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AQMP

Quote from: laoislad on November 01, 2013, 11:02:14 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 01, 2013, 10:36:37 PM
Roy Keane to join as Assistant Coach.

I hear he has walked out and resigned.

Apparently the new tracksuit tops were a bit tight under the arms.

muppet

Quote from: shark on November 01, 2013, 10:29:58 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 01, 2013, 09:25:10 PM

As a Villa fan I can say that there is quite a mixed view towards O'Neill. He achieved three 6 place finishes in a row, and was in the hunt for top 4 until the final few games on 2 occasions. He also brought the club to a league cup final where it could be claimed that the wrongful non-dismissal of Vidic cost him victory.

He spend quite a bit of money, some very well, some not so. That's not really the issue as all managers make poor buys. The issue was that he spent massive money (and crazy wages) on players who he hardly used. The starting 11 hardly changed week on week and by the time March came around the players were dead on their feet. He never won a game in the month of March in 4 seasons as Villa manager. He also seemed quite tactically small minded in that his team had one way of playing and one way only. That was, soak up pressure and counter with pace (young, agbonlahor) and power (Carew). Villa under his tenure were much better away from home than at Villa Park.  He is undoubtably a man who likes to have control. He had full control over spending and wages at Villa and when the chairman tried to end that arrangement O'Neill walked.

I think he will be well suited to international management. Motivation of players and building of team spirit is his biggest strength. His shortcomings at Villa were largely in areas that won't come in to the equation as Ireland manager.

So does his new number two.

Either they will become a phenomenal double act............or something else, possibly spectacularly something else.

But I will give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment and wish them the best.

p.s. I would say Roy being willing to be a number 2 to someone, at least on paper, has surprised a few people.
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

To be serious...these reported appointments leave me with a small feeling of dread.  Initially I thought O'Neill would probably have the effect of making Ireland a bit harder to beat and might consolidate the team for a few years to perhaps (in my dreams) buy a bit of time to let players e.g. Robbie Brady develop a bit.  However O'Neill and Keane don't seem natural bedfellows.  Keane likes nobody and despite his veneer of affability O'Neill has a spiky side too.  I give it 6 months before one or both fall out with each other, and/or the FAI and/and/ or/or RTE and the print media!

On the plus side the press conferences should be craic and can't wait to see some of the post match interviews with Tony O'Donoghue.  This should give Apres Match a new lease of life, Risteard Cooper does a mean Nordie accent!

EC Unique

Be an excellent duo for the job. Ireland will be lucky to have such men in charge.

INDIANA

be amazed if keane gets involved with the FAI. Amazed