FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

I thought the match was poor enough last night. Stokes and Reid played quite well. I would agree with King that Stokes plays this role well with Celtic. Personnally I would have played McGeady and Long with Stokes. I couldn't see how McCarthy got MOTM but maybe thats watching on TV.

Main Street

Quote from: deiseach on October 16, 2013, 03:33:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 16, 2013, 01:10:52 PM
Actually the trend was already set by RTE in the post match interviews with Trap by O'Donoghue, since mid 2012,
and Trap's stubbornness  not to use the translating skills of Manuela, meant that O'Donoghue could always sound smart and Trap be like Mr Magoo.

Surely Chico Marx?
Yeah, but that could be seen as pandering to the classic stereotype
and probably Chico would not have been shy to use the translating skills of Manuela.

Leo

In awe at the heat being generated here about a boring journalist, a temporary "manager" and a rent-a-mouth pundit in the context of the worst group of Irish soccer players in living memory, not one of whom would get near a leading English premier team (none at Arsenal, Spurs, United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea - even Southampton), No wonder Martin O'Neill has kept his gunpowder dry on the Irish job that would otherwise suit him so well. Here's a couple of million quid - who do you want to waste it on? A couple of years ago you would have said Kevin Doyle, now languishing in (what do they call it these days?) League 2. Or Shane Long who can't get in the WBA team and hasn't scored for donkeys? Or Wes Hoolahan who can't get in the Norwich team? Or the great Andy Reid who failed at Spurs and Sunderland and is now our saviour again from the lofty heights of Nottmm Forest?  Get real about this outfit.
Fierce tame altogether

From the Bunker

Our National teams expectations are constantly having this negative and almost snide feel over the last couple of years. Players had been accused of not trying, not caring, not up to it! Results have not been glamorous, but they have been sufficient to keep us at the business end of qualifications. Our Pundits, at this stage don't know what they want. They suddenly want McCarthy (son of Jack, as he was known almost in disdain). The man who ran the messiah from a major tournament. They want this lad and that lad playing. There is always some who should be playing, there is always a prodigal son on the bench or not on the squad. He is always the next Pele even though he plays championship football or Reserve football for a Premiership team.

I was sad this week at the way Noel King was treated. He is a good solid Irish football man. I can imagine how proud he was to get the temporary Manager gig of the National squad. It's sad the personal treatment he got especially from the RTE panel. What should have been a happy and proud time of Kings career with two decent performances, has been turned into a sour episode in his career.

As for the RTE panel, has there ever been an ill informed, under researched group to analyse a game. They seem to have little or no idea of any of the National teams that play against us. Understandably most of the waffle from Bill O'Herilihy is rehearsed.

Anyway, the animal we have created from all this negativity is no manager worth his grain of salt will want to be in this fiasco and added to this we will turn the players away.

In the past we prided ourselves in being at one with our national team. In being the 12th man. We were not like the English who compared their Manager to a Turnip. Today we are no better. In fact I think we are worse.

magpie seanie

Good post From the Bunker but I think the FAI have to take a lot of the blame for why this is the case. Saipan divided the Irish soccer public but united everyone against the incompetence of the FAI. Any organisation worth its salt would have fought tooth and nail to recover from such a clusterfcuk but the FAI has continued to lurch from balls up to balls up. Staunton. Trappatoni and his contract extension. It's no surprsie any Tom, Dick or Harry thinks they know better - most of them might!!!!

Asal Mor

Nail on the head FTB. A lot of it stems from Dunphy. The likes of Dunphy and Brolly have a huge influence on what becomes popular opinion (Hoolahan is a top player, Tyrone are cynical etc.) and it's not a position they deserve.

I watched MOTD recently and thought Alan Hansen seemed very insightful and well-informed compared with the RTE panel. That's how bad they are.

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 16, 2013, 11:20:04 PM
Our National teams expectations are constantly having this negative and almost snide feel over the last couple of years. Players had been accused of not trying, not caring, not up to it! Results have not been glamorous, but they have been sufficient to keep us at the business end of qualifications. Our Pundits, at this stage don't know what they want. They suddenly want McCarthy (son of Jack, as he was known almost in disdain). The man who ran the messiah from a major tournament. They want this lad and that lad playing. There is always some who should be playing, there is always a prodigal son on the bench or not on the squad. He is always the next Pele even though he plays championship football or Reserve football for a Premiership team.

I was sad this week at the way Noel King was treated. He is a good solid Irish football man. I can imagine how proud he was to get the temporary Manager gig of the National squad. It's sad the personal treatment he got especially from the RTE panel. What should have been a happy and proud time of Kings career with two decent performances, has been turned into a sour episode in his career.

As for the RTE panel, has there ever been an ill informed, under researched group to analyse a game. They seem to have little or no idea of any of the National teams that play against us. Understandably most of the waffle from Bill O'Herilihy is rehearsed.

Anyway, the animal we have created from all this negativity is no manager worth his grain of salt will want to be in this fiasco and added to this we will turn the players away.

In the past we prided ourselves in being at one with our national team. In being the 12th man. We were not like the English who compared their Manager to a Turnip. Today we are no better. In fact I think we are worse.

Good post.

Compare the 'I don't know much about Kagastan Bill' with, say, George Hamilton's ability to recognise players and get their names reasonably accurately from the kick-off. Surely a little bit of research is possible for the panellists? Even ask Hamilton to email his notes?

Imagine turning up at work, in any job, where you are giving an analysis on something and saying you don't know much about <enter comically funny wrong name here>.

Time to put the lads out to grass.

We should go Italian style:

MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Play-off for Brazil

Portugal v Sweden

Ukraine v France

Greece v Romania

Iceland v Croatia

If we had by some miracle finished second, we'd be meeting Portugal?

Capt Pat

Ibrahimovic vs Ronaldo should be a good game.

screenexile

ballinaman

Quote from: screenexile on November 01, 2013, 09:02:22 AM
Martin O'Neill . . .
Heard that too. When you have Latvia at home announced yesterday, I felt manager announcement had to follow shortly. Crowd would have be abysmal if King was still in charge.

rodney trotter

Mentioned in the papers, that bookmakers suspended bets last night on new manager. Looked like O Neill didn't seem as keen at one stage. Be a good appointment.

EC Unique

AZOffaly

I'm not a big Martin O'Neill fan, but I do think he will be a great Ireland manager. He will have them playing with spirit, belief and controlled aggression. He'll make sure they have a right cut at it anyway, which is the minimum we should expect of our teams. Talent is out of his control, application, attitude and approach is not. I think he'll be successful, in relative terms.

Applesisapples

O'Neill doesn't see him self as a coach or tactician and I'd expect he would appoint good people to these roles. What he does do though is motivation...Good to see an All Ireland team in the making.