FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on June 05, 2013, 06:10:08 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2013, 05:58:41 PM
When you are going back to the 90's its a sign of desperation, Sure Bohemians had good results if not better in that era too.
As for Crusaders "pushing" Fulham they lost 3-1 at home and 4-0 at the Cottage

A sign of desperation? I went back to the 90s because the person I replied to mentioned the 80s. Newry was the first one that came into my head as I supported them. I then replied that I couldn't be bothered looking through every sides results.
I've continually referred to the standard of football in each league and not one person has responded about it, instead all I keep reading is about the Setanta Cup and Shamrock Rovers' run in Europe.

As for somebody else's response that LoI clubs are only in pre season training for the early rounds of the Setanta Cup as some sort of excuse as to why they may lose those games, the opposite could be applied for their European games i.e. their season is in full flow whilst others, including the IL, are only back into training.

Also, I should point out I follow both leagues. But my issue here is this idea many people have about the IL without probably ever having attended a game.

Well the Setanta Cup is the only way of comparing the Leagues unless a LOI team clashes with a Irish League team in Europe. I was referring earlier to the quarter final results of the Setanta this year which the LOI sides had all convincing wins, not the the group stages.

The results in Europe have picked up since the LOI has went from March through the summer and that is evident by Shamrock Rovers run in 2011, last year they were poor,. I'd expect the LOI teams to do decent better this year in Europe.

There is good players in the LOI like Ronan Finn, Chris Forrester, Christy Fagan, all capable of following Long, Doyle, Hoolahan, Coleman and playing in the Premier league

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2013, 06:49:01 PM

Well the Setanta Cup is the only way of comparing the Leagues unless a LOI team clashes with a Irish League team in Europe. I was referring earlier to the quarter final results of the Setanta this year which the LOI sides had all convincing wins, not the the group stages.

The results in Europe have picked up since the LOI has went from March through the summer and that is evident by Shamrock Rovers run in 2011, last year they were poor,. I'd expect the LOI teams to do decent better this year in Europe.

The fact a LoI team might beat a IL side in the Setanta Cup doesn't make it a better league to watch though. My point is that the standard in both is equally bad. Also there were no group stages in this years Setanta Cup.
Indeed the results in Europe of LoI sides have picked up since the introduction of summer football. It was a great idea and as an Irish football fan I'm glad it has worked. The IFA, if they have the interest of clubs at heart, should also follow that path.

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2013, 06:49:01 PM
There is good players in the LOI like Ronan Finn, Chris Forrester, Christy Fagan, all capable of following Long, Doyle, Hoolahan, Coleman and playing in the Premier league

I agree with you. I'm a fan of both leagues and like nothing better than seeing Irish players making it across the water. The IL has players like Boyce who, although he didn't quite make it at Werder Bremen, is far too good to be playing his club football in Ireland.

Also, from a business perspective it's a good thing that some of our young players in the LoI have the potential to make it across the water, especially considering the transfer fees they might attract. As we all know only too well, the LoI has been 'built on sand' in the past with many clubs hitting the wall as a result. If they can develop their youth players well it bodes well for their finances in years to come.

EC Unique

Arguing about which crap league is the crappyist...  ;D

Good Craic.

rodney trotter

Quote from: EC Unique on June 05, 2013, 09:53:22 PM

Good Craic.

Well debated, say you know feck all about it. Next time you are watching the Republic - which is tomorrow, remember a good number  of the Squad have came originally from the Airtricity League.

ballinaman

Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 05:52:42 PM
For this Friday I think Trap might go with;
Forde
Coleman, O'Shea, Dunne, Wilson
Walters, Whelan, Hoolahan, McClean
Keane, Sammon/Cox
Good shout....09/11 right.

Ireland team in full: Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Wilson, McGeady, Whelan, Hoolahan, Walters, Cox, Keane

With Long, McCarthy suspended and Dunne still not fully fit, it's about the best Ireland can field at the moment....

ranch

Quote from: ballinaman on June 06, 2013, 02:27:28 PM
Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 05:52:42 PM
For this Friday I think Trap might go with;
Forde
Coleman, O'Shea, Dunne, Wilson
Walters, Whelan, Hoolahan, McClean
Keane, Sammon/Cox
Good shout....09/11 right.

Ireland team in full: Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, St. Ledger, Wilson, McGeady, Whelan, Hoolahan, Walters, Cox, Keane

With Long, McCarthy suspended and Dunne still not fully fit, it's about the best Ireland can field at the moment....

I sort of had a feeling he might go with Cox after starting him on Sunday past, I kind of feel for McClean though. He played well in the March qualifiers and had another decent game against Georgia. Against the Faroes I thought there'd maybe be a bit more leeway from Trap and he'd go with two out ant out wingers from the start, especially considering how poor our goal difference is compared to Austria's.
Regarding Dunne, I'd say if we get a healthy lead (never a certainty with us mind you) he might get another 20-30 minute run out.

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 06, 2013, 09:38:24 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 05, 2013, 09:53:22 PM

Good Craic.

Well debated, say you know feck all about it. Next time you are watching the Republic - which is tomorrow, remember a good number  of the Squad have came originally from the Airtricity League.

Indeed. It's a debate I actually enjoyed having with people who realise there's more to football than whatever Sky Sports tells us we should like.

ballinaman

Positive 11 v Wales: Starting XI
                 Westwood
Coleman, Clark, O'Shea, Wilson
Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, Brady
                 Hoolahan
                   Long

ballinaman

Anyone going tonight?

Big game, think we have a decent shot. Sweden are no great shakes at all. Thought Robbie Brady was unlucky not to get a start over McClean considering his form for Hull.

rodney trotter

Can't make it, but will be watching nonetheless.. Yeah they managed to keep Zlatan quiet in Sweden, hopefully a repeat tonight. Although he scored a brilliant hat trick against Norway last month. Brady is unlucky to miss out .

No Soloing

I am heading down in a couple of hours. Last time I was down was the debacle against Germany. (Hopefully) it cant be as bad as that again. Dunno what to make of our chances tonight - probably depends on which version of big Zlatan turns up - or how our defenders can deal with him

Capt Pat

No more draws we need to win tonight. Are we good enough?

BennyCake

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 06, 2013, 01:47:18 PM
No more draws we need to win tonight. Are we good enough?

Nope. A draw maybe, but Ireland won't win.

highorlow

QuoteNope. A draw maybe, but Ireland won't win.

By chance Trap has happened upon what is close to a good team. I'd be confident they will take a poor enough Sweden outfit.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

illdecide

I have said for a few weeks now that it wa a cert 0-0 but now come the time i'm gonna stick my neck out and go for 1-0 Ireland and Long to score the goal ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Babe Ruth 47

The singer of the national anthem is doing her very best to drag the arse out of the whole thing.