FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on November 18, 2012, 12:47:49 PM
lads just see on some other boards that if anyone brings up long and wes then others jump down their necks as if they are saying that the two are the answer to our problems but like i would argue that they fly in the face of the arguement that we just dont have the players.

like there are lads like wilson, clark and hoolahan who have v little irish experience but they should have had.

id bite the bullet and go with the following team

westwood
o'shea dunne clark wilson
coleman mccarthy gibson mclean/ mcgeady
            hoolahan
            long

that is when all are available and fit. what ye reckon. i'm not saying we'd beat the likes of germany but we'd be tidier on the ball.
at least try that all in a friendly. like we say Trap's system is 4-4-2 but in reality it is one striker dropping way off which is hoolahan's speciality. i'm not just jumping on the bandwagon with him either. i was saying it two years ago and last year he MOTM and Captain when Norwich played Liverpool off the pitch at Anfield. And he was in a regular centre mid berth that day.

I was at that game. Liverpool hit the woodwork 3 times and Ruddy made a couple of blinding saves including one to deny Suarez into injury time. I'm pretty sure Ruddy got MOTM. Norwich did play well for about 20 minutes with Hoolahan to the fore but lets not exaggerate.

That aside he certainly deserves a chance in midfield or playing off a striker for Ireland.

rodney trotter

Wes Hoolahan was always a class act. I remember watching him for Shelbourne a few times, he was always a stand out player back then, that was 04. He was the best player on the field against Deportivo la Coruna in the that famous Champions League run, (same as Fahey was against Hertha Berlin).. I thought that type of form would have gotten Hoolahan a move to at least a Championship side, but he went to Livingstone in Scotland. He then went to Blackpool and then to Norwich, best player for them since he joined, and has probaly been their best player this season.

Serious vision, and great balance and skill. Its a pity it took Trappatoni this long to give him a chance. But he can only make up for lost time because he is 30 now..

dillinger

Leo

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 18, 2012, 07:15:08 PM
Wes Hoolahan was always a class act. I remember watching him for Shelbourne a few times, he was always a stand out player back then, that was 04. He was the best player on the field against Deportivo la Coruna in the that famous Champions League run, (same as Fahey was against Hertha Berlin).. I thought that type of form would have gotten Hoolahan a move to at least a Championship side, but he went to Livingstone in Scotland. He then went to Blackpool and then to Norwich, best player for them since he joined, and has probaly been their best player this season.

Serious vision, and great balance and skill. Its a pity it took Trappatoni this long to give him a chance. But he can only make up for lost time because he is 30 now..

There is noone who can re-write history or be self deluded quite like an Irish soccer fan.
Hoolahan-is a useful player who has been around the mnor leagues for a long time and who features from time to time but not always for Norwich. He is apparently our new saviour along the lines of Andy Reid, former Sunderland and Notts Forest reserve or Keith Fahey (Birmingham reserve) - anything else in common? They are all Dubs, hence the over-hyped expectation.
Fierce tame altogether

ludermor

Quote from: Leo on November 18, 2012, 09:46:51 PM

There is noone who can re-write history or be self deluded quite like an Irish soccer fan.
Hoolahan-is a useful player who has been around the mnor leagues for a long time and who features from time to time but not always for Norwich. He is apparently our new saviour along the lines of Andy Reid, former Sunderland and Notts Forest reserve or Keith Fahey (Birmingham reserve) - anything else in common? They are all Dubs, hence the over-hyped expectation.
Paddy Kenny???

thewobbler

So, so true Leo.

I truly gave up on these daft theories back in the early noughties when Lee Carsley was being hailed by all and sundry as the missing link.

It's not just and Irish thing though. Look back to the last World Cup, when England were a level below uninspiring, and suddenly everyone - including John Terry publicly - reckoned that the addition of Joe Cole to the starting line up would change everything. A media clamour got him picked, and as anyone without emotional attachment could predict, it changed nothing. Joe hasn't been seen since.

Since 2002 there's only been a handful of Irish players who were genuinely a cut above - Keane, Keane, Given, Duff and Dunne. The rest of them have been as interchangeable as peas in a pod and have had minimal impact on results. Thats' the bit that's missed by all these missing-linkers.

rodney trotter

Ah get a grip, He was excellent yesterday against Utd.. Very good when he came on against Greece, Not his fault he had to had play at a lower level till now, he was at Sunderland when he was younger but was released becasse he was too small.
Always had the ability, no club never really believed in him.

He isn't going to be our saviour as he is 30, but a good addition for the squad. Creative player, Ireland don't have many play makers. He has a better attitude then Andy Reid and Fahey.

rodney trotter

Apart from playing every game this season. 127 in total for Norwich :)

ludermor

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 18, 2012, 11:58:04 PM

Apart from playing every game this season. 127 in total for Norwich :)
well that just isnt true............. and he only has a single assist ( no goals scored) in all the league games he has played, i know stats can be misleading but for a creative player i would have expected more than that.

rodney trotter

Yeah Stats can be misleading, mighn't have scored any league goals, he has been doing a lot of donkey work recently, covering back getting the tackles in. Not like Silva at City as he has top class players around him to do that.

Norwich have been dire this season, one or 2 good results recently such as against Utd have showed hope for some improvement. Not down to Hoolahan that are were playing poor. he has been working his socks off.

laoislad

Winners medal for Robbie in the MLS Cup tonight,scored a peno in the last minute as well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AFS

Quote from: laoislad on December 02, 2012, 12:15:21 AM
Winners medal for Robbie in the MLS Cup tonight,scored a peno in the last minute as well.

Maybe Claudine will let him come back to real football now that she can't be Posh Spice's BFF over there anymore.

AZOffaly

rodney trotter

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2013, 03:13:30 PM
Anyone heading to d'Aviva tonight?

Might go to it, they are expecting a crowd of around 40,000. If they happens or not. Poland have name a strong squad, fact that a lot of Poles live in Ireland would help the attendance.

Declan

Yep heading in for my sins!!
Great results for the U19s and U21s this week as well - maybe the future is bright after all (once we can get Trap out of the way ;))