FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 16, 2012, 02:17:47 PM
Quote from: Declan on May 16, 2012, 01:22:13 PM
England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Standby players: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Not sure why but I'm a bit shocked how bad that squad looks on paper. There's a guy on standby that I've never heard of!
I was thinking that myself. Why is Terry named? Surely Capello walked because the english FA wanted him suspended until after his court case.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 16, 2012, 03:37:35 PM

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Standby players: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

Not sure why but I'm a bit shocked how bad that squad looks on paper. There's a guy on standby that I've never heard of!
I was thinking that myself. Why is Terry named? Surely Capello walked because the english FA wanted him suspended until after his court case.

Did they not just want the captaincy taken off him? I could be wrong

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on May 16, 2012, 09:46:38 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 15, 2012, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 15, 2012, 09:56:32 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

So he was just misquoted? In quite a few different media outlets? Strange that neither he nor his management saw fit to correct the mistake, don't you think?
He wasn't quoted anywhere as saying he lined out for the u21's at Windsor pk, get it?

QuoteWhy on earth would you be so concerned with what a footballer says - or doesn't say - one day, yet not bothered at all by other things he says? Weird, that.
Firstly, I'm a wee bit concerned when what he didn't say, is being attributed to him, but that's no big deal when it's confined to the halfwits on the OWC eligibility thread.
The level of my concern about McClean is of little importance, but when a liar like yourself copies (almost verbatim) the sentiments from a post on the OWC eligibility thread about what McClean is supposed to have said, take the trouble to post those sentiments here and then have the gall to call him a liar, I reserve the right to take issue with that.
JM 74 has well and truly nailed you to the floor on the quote business, so I'll not labour that point any further.
My 'arse he has.
McLean does not refer to lining out for the u21's at Windsor pk. He's most probably referring to attending a senior game as part of the u21 squad. And that interpretation is fully supported by all other quotes from McClean.

QuoteI'm fascinated by your obsession with the OWC eligibility thread. You've mentioned it several times in the space of just a few posts.  :)
Eh Myles, I'm fascinated by your obsession with the OWC eligibility thread. That you would just almost copy all the main points, gripes and grudges, from one post there and repeat them here as if it was a total part of your belief system. The OWC eligibility thread is a mirror image of your outlook.
98% guilt is assumed with a NI born player who so decides to declare for the FAI, that he must be a bitter, sectarian, miserable bigot and every little action by that player is interpreted in such a way as to support that claim.
So your argument has gone from 'he never said it, it was a big, nasty journalist' to 'Okay, he said it, but most probably he's referring to...'  ::) When you're in a hole, stop digging.  ;)

dec

There's a guy on the squad that I've never heard of!!

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 15, 2012, 02:16:18 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 15, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 15, 2012, 10:59:22 AM
You should know then that there are strict protocols around anthems and flags in rugby which see no Irish NA abroad and GSTQ in Belfast and The Irish NA in Dublin. The Presidential Salute is a courtesy to the President. Ulster is also represented by the 9 County Flag being flown.

GSTQ was not played at Ravenhill when Ireland took on Italy there in August 2007. They can play Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead at rugby matches for all I care but the IRFU should at least be consistent.
Well I can't comment on what happened then but the protocol was in place. i think Ireland's Call should be stuck to as a compromise.
In Dublin and Belfast?  ie No Soldier's Song or GSTQ in both grounds?

michaelg

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 08:33:44 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 14, 2012, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 05:44:18 PM
Here's the way it looks: McClean was happy enough to turn out for the north when he'd returned from Lincoln City and was playing for Derry City. Had he been called into the senior squad at that stage, I don't doubt that he'd have taken the cap and worn it to bed. Then he starts getting noticed and there's transfer talk in the papers. He gets a big move to Sunderland and all of a sudden he starts thinking that a cap for the republic is a possibility. Why settle for NI and a football backwater when there's a chance of the Euros?
Do you accept that McClean was 'there for the taking' but instead was ignored for two years while at Derry City by the NI senior management? Cos the way I look at it, NI only wanted him once word about him making a big move last summer became apparent. He was just right to withdraw, from a team that didn't want him/notice him until he became potential premiership material.

He has to justify his sudden change of heart, so he comes out with all the sectarian bullshit. Worst of all, he calls his team mates - McCourt, McGinn, Baird, Clingan - liars. He's a dick. I quite understand why you feel such an affinity with him.
As a Northern Ireland football fan, do you honestly think those players consider GSTQ their National Anthem? Do you think they consider the defunct Ulster banner their National flag, or feel any affinity to the Union flag? Because I'd call them liars too if they said they did.

RE whether you accept his justifications for the change of heart or not; they are just as valid as the reasons people like me avoid Windsor Park completely.  It is a pity that you, other NI fans and worst of all the IFA don't see the bigger picture, that the baggage associated with the NI team is doing so much damage. So long as this situation remains the same and the empty rhetoric comes from the IFA wigs; I and many others will gladly support any player who plays underage with NI and makes the switch to the ROI for senior.
I can accept 100% that he felt pissed off at not getting a call up to the NI senior team when he was playing well for Derry, particularly when Worthington was handing out caps to a few no hopers. I can accept 100% that he liked the idea of playing football on the big stage for the republic. If he'd stuck with that line, I wouldn't have a problem with him. What I can't abide is that he feels the need to slag off his former team mates, the NI backroom people, and the NI football support in order to justify his decision. The fact that he plays the sectarian card to do so just makes him despicable in my opinion.  I also accept that GSTQ turns a lot of people off supporting NI. I think that the fact that some players and supporters from nationalist backgrounds are prepared to rise above this is to their credit - in exactly the same way that people like Rory Best, Andrew Trimble, Stephen Ferris, etc are prepared to play for Ireland, while thousands of Ulster prods go along to support them, despite the tricolours and the Soldier's Song and the presidential salutes and all that stuff. I'm not a NI fan, btw - prefer to spend my time and money in Ravenhill (and this season, also in Thomond, the Aviva and on Saturday, Twickenham  :))
You should know then that there are strict protocols around anthems and flags in rugby which see no Irish NA abroad and GSTQ in Belfast and The Irish NA in Dublin. The Presidential Salute is a courtesy to the President. Ulster is also represented by the 9 County Flag being flown.
If you follow Ulster rugby, you will be aware that a lot of Ulster rugby fans feel little affinity to the 9 county yella Ulster fleg

AZOffaly

I've seen a lot more of that provincial flag recently michaelg. Certainly in the last few years you see it more and more. The NI flag is still the most popular alright, but there's a fair few Ulster flags. Tommy Bowe will like that :)

michaelg

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 16, 2012, 09:11:14 PM
I've seen a lot more of that provincial flag recently michaelg. Certainly in the last few years you see it more and more. The NI flag is still the most popular alright, but there's a fair few Ulster flags. Tommy Bowe will like that :)
I agree with you.  However, if you follow the endless debates on the Ulster rugby forums, the flag is not universally popular and it is a contentious issue.  Personally, I think you should be allowed to bring whatever fleg you like.

laoislad

How about ye keep yer Rugby chat to a Rugby thread?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

upmonaghansayswe

Anyone see Part 1 of "Green is the Colour" tonight?. Took 15 min to warm up but enjoyed it from there on!.. Anyway, the initial F.A. in Ireland was based in Belfast in the 1880s or thereabouts.. Nearly sure one of the contributors said Cliftonville were the first club formed in the country.. Went onto say how in the early days, soccer was dominated by Presbyterian officials in the North, who wouldn't play on a Sunday and hence the Saturday afternoon tradition.. So you would think that the first club formed in Belfast would be of a Unionist tradition or at most, middle of the road!..

Myles Na G.

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on May 17, 2012, 12:02:12 AM
Anyone see Part 1 of "Green is the Colour" tonight?. Took 15 min to warm up but enjoyed it from there on!.. Anyway, the initial F.A. in Ireland was based in Belfast in the 1880s or thereabouts.. Nearly sure one of the contributors said Cliftonville were the first club formed in the country.. Went onto say how in the early days, soccer was dominated by Presbyterian officials in the North, who wouldn't play on a Sunday and hence the Saturday afternoon tradition.. So you would think that the first club formed in Belfast would be of a Unionist tradition or at most, middle of the road!..
Cliftonville used to be a 'unionist' club. The Cliftonville Road and surrounding area at one time was very gentrified, with big houses occupied by doctors, solicitors and business types. The facilities around that area, therefore, like the golf club and the football club would have been patronised by unionist middle class types. As late as the 1960s, there would've been a union flag flying above Solitude.

saffron sam2

Stop making things up. No such protocol exists or existed.

Wally.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 17, 2012, 07:08:15 AM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on May 17, 2012, 12:02:12 AM
Cliftonville used to be a 'unionist' club. The Cliftonville Road and surrounding area at one time was very gentrified, with big houses occupied by doctors, solicitors and business types. The facilities around that area, therefore, like the golf club and the football club would have been patronised by unionist middle class types. As late as the 1960s, there would've been a union flag flying above Solitude.

And then what happened?. Did they go neutral for a while?. Hard to imagine that transition with the history associated with it.

On a separate note players are wearing black armbands for the Italy game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18100365

Applesisapples

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 17, 2012, 08:15:02 AM

Stop making things up. No such protocol exists or existed.

Wally.
You are the Wally, the whole row over the Italy match at Ravenhill was because this agreed protocol was gone back on.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on May 16, 2012, 09:04:56 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 08:33:44 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 14, 2012, 06:17:02 PM
Here's the way it looks: McClean was happy enough to turn out for the north when he'd returned from Lincoln City and was playing for Derry City. Had he been called into the senior squad at that stage, I don't doubt that he'd have taken the cap and worn it to bed. Then he starts getting noticed and there's transfer talk in the papers. He gets a big move to Sunderland and all of a sudden he starts thinking that a cap for the republic is a possibility. Why settle for NI and a football backwater when there's a chance of the Euros?
Do you accept that McClean was 'there for the taking' but instead was ignored for two years while at Derry City by the NI senior management? Cos the way I look at it, NI only wanted him once word about him making a big move last summer became apparent. He was just right to withdraw, from a team that didn't want him/notice him until he became potential premiership material.

He has to justify his sudden change of heart, so he comes out with all the sectarian bullshit. Worst of all, he calls his team mates - McCourt, McGinn, Baird, Clingan - liars. He's a dick. I quite understand why you feel such an affinity with him.
As a Northern Ireland football fan, do you honestly think those players consider GSTQ their National Anthem? Do you think they consider the defunct Ulster banner their National flag, or feel any affinity to the Union flag? Because I'd call them liars too if they said they did.

RE whether you accept his justifications for the change of heart or not; they are just as valid as the reasons people like me avoid Windsor Park completely.  It is a pity that you, other NI fans and worst of all the IFA don't see the bigger picture, that the baggage associated with the NI team is doing so much damage. So long as this situation remains the same and the empty rhetoric comes from the IFA wigs; I and many others will gladly support any player who plays underage with NI and makes the switch to the ROI for senior.
I can accept 100% that he felt pissed off at not getting a call up to the NI senior team when he was playing well for Derry, particularly when Worthington was handing out caps to a few no hopers. I can accept 100% that he liked the idea of playing football on the big stage for the republic. If he'd stuck with that line, I wouldn't have a problem with him. What I can't abide is that he feels the need to slag off his former team mates, the NI backroom people, and the NI football support in order to justify his decision. The fact that he plays the sectarian card to do so just makes him despicable in my opinion.  I also accept that GSTQ turns a lot of people off supporting NI. I think that the fact that some players and supporters from nationalist backgrounds are prepared to rise above this is to their credit - in exactly the same way that people like Rory Best, Andrew Trimble, Stephen Ferris, etc are prepared to play for Ireland, while thousands of Ulster prods go along to support them, despite the tricolours and the Soldier's Song and the presidential salutes and all that stuff. I'm not a NI fan, btw - prefer to spend my time and money in Ravenhill (and this season, also in Thomond, the Aviva and on Saturday, Twickenham  :))
If you follow Ulster rugby, you will be aware that a lot of Ulster rugby fans feel little affinity to the 9 county yella Ulster fleg
And a lot do, especially nationalist supporters, the Yellow backgrounded Ulster flag at least has official status and is used not only in Rugby but also in Hockey and some other sports organised on an all island basis. It represents all the 9 Counties and as someone pointed out Tommy Bowe of Monaghan was and will be a fans favourite. There are a lot more Ulster Rugby flags than either Ulster Flag which in my opinion is good and something you tend to see in both Leinster and Munster.