FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 09, 2011, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2011, 10:11:44 AM
Quote from: Clown on November 09, 2011, 10:07:09 AM
Quote from: Jonah on November 08, 2011, 09:23:08 PM
Stokes has probably found his level at Celtic, he didn't exactly set the world on fire at Sunderland.
I'm not sure he is good enough for international level.
I feel the same way about McGeady.

Probably among our top 3 players in the campaign so far

AFS - the genius that is McCarthy is a sub for this great Wigan team at the minute

He is still 20 (turns 21 in a couple of days). Roy Keane had one senior cap at the same stage. Probably should write him off alright.

I think when he said "at the minute" in his post he meant at the minute and wasn't suggesting that he should be written off indefinately.

What did the words 'the genius that is McCarthy' and 'is a sub for this great Wigan team' suggest?
MWWSI 2017

Orangemac

Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2011, 11:58:53 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on November 08, 2011, 08:48:10 PM
Most people agree that Whelan and Andrews partnership is not good enough but why has no one mentioned Rory Delap as an option. Not a flashy player that would anger Trap, playing regularly in Prem league over a few years, throw ins would cause havoc.

Did he retire from international football?
I thought we had made enough concessions to hoof football without having another Stoke player (Delap) in the team ;)   Stoke are the pits.
He's just okay as a CM, definitely no improvement over what we have, he's less mobile and generally less capable than Andrews and Whelan. I thought most people would want less hoofing and more football.

Why do you think a flashy player would anger Trap?
Trap seems to like central midfielders who cover a lot of ground but don't provide any creativity only short sideway passes. That fella Green from Derby was in favour for a while.

No Irish midfilelder is playing better stuff than Hoolahan at Norwich but Trap would never pick him.

Main Street

Quote from: Orangemac on November 09, 2011, 11:16:17 PM
Most people agree that Whelan and Andrews partnership is not good enough but why has no one mentioned Rory Delap as an option. Not a flashy player that would anger Trap, playing regularly in Prem league over a few years, throw ins would cause havoc.

I thought we had made enough concessions to hoof football without having another Stoke player (Delap) in the team ;)   Stoke are the pits.
He's just okay as a CM, definitely no improvement over what we have, he's less mobile and generally less capable than Andrews and Whelan. I thought most people would want less hoofing and more football.

Trap seems to like central midfielders who cover a lot of ground but don't provide any creativity only short sideway passes. That fella Green from Derby was in favour for a while.

No Irish midfilelder is playing better stuff than Hoolahan at Norwich but Trap would never pick him.
Why do you say never for that type of player? Fahey is a decent skillful player who can and has played at CM, Duff and McGeady are ever-present out wide.
I haven't seen Hoolahan play since his days with Shelbourne. I don't know why he hasn't got a call up. If he is to get a call up then it would be the friendlies early next year. Givens had a lot of time for him and predicted he would come good in the epl, if he got the chance.
At this stage, with a squad which has achieved beyond expectation having entered the playoffs as a seeded team and favorites to go through, it doesn't make any sense to consider bringing in a new midfielder which calls for a lot of changes. The time to do that is in the friendlies next year. We're in the hoof zone now, with the wide midfielders cutting inside.

Clown

Anthony Pilkington is playing better stuff for Norwich in my opinion - former irish u-21 international

magpie seanie

So long as they never, ever go ahead of the ball or into the opponents penalty area. That is a cardinal sin in Trapps philosophy.

Jonah

I heard this morning we have never lost a game away under Trap.
We also went 7 games or so without conceding a goal and we are now on the brink of qualifying for Euro 2012.
What ever people think of Trap and his tactics you can't argue with that record above he is getting the job done and and the end of the day the results is all that matters not how they play.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 09:59:59 AM
Anthony Pilkington is playing better stuff for Norwich in my opinion - former irish u-21 international

Did I hear of him being mooted for the England Team on Football Focus?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rrhf

Its likely to be a borefest - I think Southern Ireland will try abd  put 14 men behind the ball.  Its all about the result though.  I still have an awful feeling though that the only Irish guys at Euro 12 will be FAI top brass on a junket. 

stew

Ireland will make it difficult on themselves but I expect them to go through.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Jonah on November 10, 2011, 11:43:44 AM
I heard this morning we have never lost a game away under Trap.
We also went 7 games or so without conceding a goal and we are now on the brink of qualifying for Euro 2012.
What ever people think of Trap and his tactics you can't argue with that record above he is getting the job done and and the end of the day the results is all that matters not how they play.

That's a perfectly legitimate position to take. Much like these: There's no need to wash you car if its dirty - it will still get you to work. There's no need to paint your house regularly - you can still live in it.

Personally I think we can achieve better results and not be as painfully boring to watch.

Clown

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 10, 2011, 12:13:04 PM

Yeah, heard a rumour he was considering switching to play for England as he thought he'd a chance of a call up
Trap should have capped him by now for us

Main Street

Quote from: Jonah on November 10, 2011, 11:43:44 AM

The results prove his tactics. He is the only one who has to prove his tactics or his argument by getting the results.
Any moron can say we can achieve better results with better football.

The best football we played was way back in the early 1980's when top teams like Holland would be man marking our midfielders to stop us from playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Main Street on November 10, 2011, 01:17:42 AM

I haven't seen Hoolahan play since his days with Shelbourne. I don't know why he hasn't got a call up.

Hoolahan would never fit into Trap's "system". Much like Andy Reid. He is an attacking central midfielder. Trap always plays his two strikers, two wingers/wide men and two holding central midfielders. Hoolahan doesn't fit into any of those so in Trap's eyes he's about as useful as tits on a bull.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 02:42:51 PM

Yeah, heard a rumour he was considering switching to play for England as he thought he'd a chance of a call up

Pilkington scored 19 goals in 92 appearances for League One Huddersfield Town between 2009 and 2011. Hardly a glaring ommission from an international squad.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Clown

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: Clown on November 10, 2011, 02:42:51 PM

Pilkington scored 19 goals in 92 appearances for League One Huddersfield Town between 2009 and 2011. Hardly a glaring ommission from an international squad.

he's a midfielder so pointing to his goal record you just got from wikipedia doesn't say much, he's been very good so far this season and taken to the Premiership easily, u not watched him much i take it?

Im pretty sure he'd be a better option than Gibson, Keith Tracey Andy Keogh or the likes