FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 13, 2011, 12:21:07 PM
Delighted with the draw.  I'd be pretty confident except for the fact Keane might not be back and we could struggle to score goals without him especially with Doyle missing the first game as well.

I'm not too enamoured with the away game first. I know that technically it's better, but I get the feeling with this manager that Ireland will play for 0-0 over there, when I think you should be trying to score. 1-1 is better than 0-0 away from home.

highorlow

If the Faroe Island's can beat them then so can we....
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 12:19:53 PM
Can I be the first to say 'There are no easy games at international level these days'? Thanks.

"The gap between the smaller nations and the traditional powers has narrowed" Thanks.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 12:23:08 PM
Delighted with the draw.  I'd be pretty confident except for the fact Keane might not be back and we could struggle to score goals without him especially with Doyle missing the first game as well.

I'm not too enamoured with the away game first. I know that technically it's better, but I get the feeling with this manager that Ireland will play for 0-0 over there, when I think you should be trying to score. 1-1 is better than 0-0 away from home.

I would agree with that line of thought.  I hate teams playing for a 0-0 draw away from home.  Its OK doing that in a league or group structure when you're not confident of winning but a playoff is a different situation.  Come away with a 0-0 draw and one bit of madness or a bit of bad luck in the home match and you could find yourself 1-0 down and need two.  That's why its very important that we at least get one in Estonia.  They are no world beaters and we have to go over there believing we can score.

Link

BennyHarp

From BBC Website

Euro 2012 qualifying

Friday, 11 November 2011
Bosnia-Hercegovina v Portugal, Qual, L1
Czech Republic v Montenegro, Qual, L1
Estonia v Rep of Ireland, Qual, L1
Turkey v Croatia, Qual, L1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, 15 November 2011
Croatia v Turkey, Qual, L2
Montenegro v Czech Republic, Qual, L2
Portugal v Bosnia-Hercegovina, Qual, L2
Rep of Ireland v Estonia, Qual, L2
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

They beat Northern Ireland 2-1 in belfast didn't they? I wouldn't be taking them for granted, but as the fella says, if we can't beat them, we'd be out of our depth in Poland/Ukraine anyway.

trileacman

You'd worry that our traditionally poor preformances against smaller weaker teams could bite us in the ass here. At the same time I'm not complaining, best possible draw for us, just have to take advantage of it.

You have to give it to Trap who has developed a truly unwatchable style of football that is producing results.

For example; Belgium, Slovakia, Austria, Serbia, Hungary, Switzerland, Norway, Scotland will not be heading to the Euro's. I'd say a fair few of those nations would love to be in our position irrespective of the style of play.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: Declan on October 13, 2011, 10:21:49 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1012/1224305644567.html

Good analysis by Fenlon
I would say it's opinionated (hindsight enhanced) rather than good analysis.
It would be better if he refrained from Trap bashing and trying to read player's minds.
Fenlon is a good park game manager, telling a manager like Trap what should be done during a game?
As if what works on the park should also work at international level.
The full backs only go forward one at a time. It is not Trap's fault that Kelly is not a smarter footballer.
An intelligent footballer will decide within a framework what to do.
Trap changed it at half time, an organized change.
The way Fenlon has it, Kelly was petrified, in fear of the wrath of Trap.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 12:17:14 PM
In fairness that's about as sweet a draw as they could get. Estonia away first. Benson and Hedges versus Portugal should be a great tie.
LOL

if we cant beat estonia then we should disband completley
sure the north of Ireland side gave them their fill of it and lets face it, they are poor.

trileacman

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 13, 2011, 12:29:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 12:23:08 PM

I would agree with that line of thought.  I hate teams playing for a 0-0 draw away from home.  Its OK doing that in a league or group structure when you're not confident of winning but a playoff is a different situation.  Come away with a 0-0 draw and one bit of madness or a bit of bad luck in the home match and you could find yourself 1-0 down and need two.  That's why its very important that we at least get one in Estonia.  They are no world beaters and we have to go over there believing we can score.

In my opinion Trap would bite your left arm off if you offered him 0-0 away. Not conceding is everything to that man. I would say he would also take 0-0 overall and a penalty shootout.

trileacman

Bingo

Perfect draw, if Carlsberg did European qualifier draws and all that....

With it comes alot of pressure mind, will be raging hot favourites and knives will be sharpened before a ball is kicked. Estonia nothing to lose and will be happy themselves I'd imagine.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Main Street

Estonia is a great place to visit as well. The local beer is just first class.
Though I can imagine most of the Irish fans swilling pints of fizz in the crappier bars while some of the finest and most potent large bottles of real beer/stout gather dust on the shelves.