Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2016, 11:24:11 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2016, 11:21:05 PM
The whole thing is bollix, little Englanders harkening back to Empire.
+1.
"Deal" is a fig leaf for Cameron to trumpet a stunning victory over those Europeans blah blah blah....
+2. The whole thing has been pure theatre from the start. Cameron asked for a handful of things they were always going to give anyway. Negotiating past the deadline added a nice dramatic touch. He can go back to the Eurosceptics in his party and say "I showed them Germans who's boss" and enough waverers will go along with it. I'd be very surprised if they voted to leave.

seafoid

The macro economic risk changed a lot since 2013 in fairness to Cameron. William Hagud would be a common or garden Eurosceptic and even he changed his mind
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

So the referendum is on 23rd of June.
That was never a square ball!!

LeoMc

Quote from: screenexile on February 18, 2016, 01:37:42 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 18, 2016, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 18, 2016, 09:39:05 AM
Quote from: Hound on February 18, 2016, 09:11:35 AM
Personally I don't think our exports to the UK would reduce by any significant amount if UK left the EU. It would be better if they stayed in, but there's a lot of Y2K type scaremongering going on. Post Brexit, neither UK nor EU will do anything to damage trade links between the two.

They may not want to damage trade links, but once they get down to negotiations then all kind of taboos will be on the table. Brexit, should it happen, is going to be fuelled by a desire to restrict freedom of movement. There's absolutely no way the EU would tolerate a situation where there are restrictions on EU citizens entering the UK without responding in kind. There are bound to be extra costs for Irish exports to the UK. Although that has to be a mere bagatelle when set against having to produce a passport every time we enter the UK. I wonder whether my sense of national pride would weaken upon the sight of Mrs d sauntering through while Herr Flick interrogates me on my employment status and whether the boy has anything that might make him a medical tourist!
All scaremongering in my view.

Not needing a passport to get into the UK from Ireland has nothing to do with the EU.

At the moment you need a passport to go from the rest of the EU to get into the UK. You don't need a passport to go from Ireland to the UK. That won't change post Brexit (so long as Ireland don't join Schengen, which we won't).

And the chances of EU or UK imposing tariffs on imports/exports are remote, to say the least. If/when Brexit looks like becoming a reality, the powers that be will make every effort to ensure it doesn't impact on EU-UK trade. Of course, that won't be broadcast in the short term, as we want to encourage the UK to stay rather than play down potential exit issues.

I don't know what way it will affect our business. We export Irish Pharmaceuticals to the UK/EEA but this is only possible due to the free movement of goods across member states.

There will be huge regulatory issues around this for us and the rest of the Pharmaceutical industry if the UK leave the EU!
Surely the vote is only to leave the EU not he EEA.
I am sure the UK will be looking to have the same status as Norway / Switzerland.

It could be the future, the core EEC Countries moving closer to Political union and a USE with an outer belt of linked economies.

Applesisapples

Listening to the pro Brexit camp on Radio Uladh this morning I was struck by the naiveté of Depooty Dawds (as Brian Feeney likes to call him). If he thinks that Osbourne is going to pile money in to NI's farming industry he is deluded. Owen Patterson when asked about this was also vague. I was also struck by the lack of balance or challenge from the GMU team.

Shamrock Shore

If UK exits then I'm opening a duty free shop either side of the bawdah.

Would Slab have a ploh-a-land to sell to cover the auld tax bill, I wonder?
A site that straddles same said bawdah?

deiseach

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 22, 2016, 10:51:42 AM
If UK exits then I'm opening a duty free shop either side of the bawdah.

Would Slab have a ploh-a-land to sell to cover the auld tax bill, I wonder?
A site that straddles same said bawdah?

Free copy of My Little Book of Tweets with every purchase. In fact, have two copies.

Farrandeelin

I may be alone, but I see a comfortable 'win' for the In side in this one. There's too much uncertainty for the UK if they leave. I would love to see Cameron taken down a peg or two, but I hope his 'In' side come out on top of this one.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 22, 2016, 09:51:55 PM
I may be alone, but I see a comfortable 'win' for the In side in this one. There's too much uncertainty for the UK if they leave. I would love to see Cameron taken down a peg or two, but I hope his 'In' side come out on top of this one.

So you would think and there is still several months to go for the issues to be clarified. I would be concerned about turnout, the gripers will turn out but will the ordinary sensible punter do so.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

Boris suggests that Britain should leave because the British Empire used to rule the world! A compelling argument Boris, though a tad dated!
That was never a square ball!!

AQMP

You are not alone Farrandeelin!  This will be a long campaign but ultimately it will come down to the unknown vs the known or change vs the status quo.  People don't like change.  It will be odd to see a lot of Tories and Brexiters making the exact opposite arguments that they did during the Scottish Ref campaign.  Remember when one of the big issues was that an independent Scotland would not be able to be a member of the EU??

Applesisapples

Don't under estimate the average Brit's belief that they still rule the waves and can go it alone, just listen to SuperBrit Dawdsey.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 23, 2016, 10:24:05 AM
Don't under estimate the average Brit's belief that they still rule the waves and can go it alone, just listen to SuperBrit Dawdsey.

Nah it's just like the Scottish independence thing... they don't know what will happen if they leave the EU so they won't.

Already a number of big corportations have come out and said they may have to move should the UK leave which already puts fear into most minds. I can't see any way it happens!!

armaghniac

I see the UU have come down for "Remain", which is an unusual piece of leadership from them. It shows the DUP up for the bigots that they are.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 06, 2016, 12:31:50 AM
I see the UU have come down for "Remain", which is an unusual piece of leadership from them. It shows the DUP up for the bigots that they are.

About time there was something to separate those two parties. The only way back into business for the UUP is to move to the centre and stop trying to out-DUP the DUP.