Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2022, 01:30:22 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 28, 2022, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2022, 12:44:40 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 28, 2022, 11:38:50 AM
Just out of interest, who is overrating him?

People in Armagh. His championship record is woeful.

His championship record is very poor.  Up until the past few weeks there were plenty in Armagh who thought he's had enough time.   In his defence, he hasn't had the benefit of any underage success coming through the system.  He has also managed a happy squad who seem back him strongly.

I'm just curious as to where the overrated thing comes from.  It's been used quite a bit on here.  I don't see many in the media or pundits eulogising him.
The longevity is hard to understand. As a Galway fan I have seen a lot of mediocre hurling and football managers over the years. I think Geezer is mediocre.

To be fair club football in Armagh has been poor for a number of years and there hasn't been any underage success. New systems have been put in place. The next few years will show if they are working

Armagh18

Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 01:01:18 PM
There are GAA people talking about a lengthy ban (Sean Kelly) - others talked about the maximum -  which is 96 weeks I think?  Would it be fair to expect him not to appeal such a ban given the precedent with other players who received 2/3 match bans.  Albeit there was aggravating factors (shouldn't have entered the pitch - wasn't on match day 26).
What did he say? 96 weeks is a joke given players only get one match bans. 3 months would be absolutely loads tbh.

Honestly think the ref needs to be made answer how he sent off Kelly and Nugent probably the 2 most innocent men there. Joke decision.

Maroon Manc

Walsh is getting a fair bit of stick for that pass and rightly so but thought he played well without doing anything spectacular, nailed all the frees he should and scored one from a really difficult angle with his left that very few would make. He attracted a lot of attention and used that well at time by just keeping out of the way which created space for others which can be seen with McDaids goal when nobody tracking Mannion. He was definitely not right at that challenge in the first half, he didn't turn on the after burners all afternoon and was visibly hobbling on a few occasions.

Comer very good again although should have passed when he went for goal but suppose can understand given his record when given that opportunity. After the Mayo game all the talk was if you could stop Conroy, Comer & Walsh you'd beat Galway easily, doesn't look the case now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 28, 2022, 01:33:40 PM
There are GAA people talking about a lengthy ban (Sean Kelly) - others talked about the maximum -  which is 96 weeks I think?  Would it be fair to expect him not to appeal such a ban given the precedent with other players who received 2/3 match bans.  Albeit there was aggravating factors (shouldn't have entered the pitch - wasn't on match day 26).
What did he say? 96 weeks is a joke given players only get one match bans. 3 months would be absolutely loads tbh.

Honestly think the ref needs to be made answer how he sent off Kelly and Nugent probably the 2 most innocent men there. Joke decision.

I think he intentionally sent them off as it would be overturned on appeal .. I think this was 'arranged' as there really wasn't that much complaining about it at the time..

The ban should be what it is endangering another player, there should also be a ban on entering the pitch, the county should also be fined for allowing a non named squad player on the side of the pitch, so the county sec will get pulled for that..

As for having good people around him, they should have been there before it started
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

What's the priority for Armagh going forward? How good is the wider panel ? Are a few more players required or is tactical improvement more important? The fans are obviously a huge asset.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

HiMucker

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 28, 2022, 01:30:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 01:26:38 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 28, 2022, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 11:59:36 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on June 28, 2022, 10:51:02 AM
Good article by a previous eye-gouge perpetrator:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-30482075.html

"It wasn't a conscious decision, I just grabbed anything I could"

And because he just grabbed anything he could he suffered for it, instead of not getting involved and letting the two lads get on with whatever shit they wanted to do he's now (rightly) going to have to take the flack that goes with his actions.

It makes no sense if two people want to go at each other let them... The manager says that at the start of the year and any fool who wants to 'separate' them is kicked off the panel. There is no defending it from any angle or quarter.

Its a team sport - and you should know that players will always back each other up.

Do you really think if Con OC or P Clifford came in to pull a player off a team mate who was getting it tight they would be kicked off the panel?

So your teammate has just been shouldered in the back (happens a lot in games, you'd know this as you'll have watched many a game) and the players should just way in to 'back' him up for being shouldered, even though he maybe instigated the shoulder in the first place?

Players should cop on and move on

Pulling a player off is not what you are meant to be doing.. let them push and shove and get off the pitch and get ready for the next part of the game

Can I just second this. Really don't need to see that....
;D

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2022, 01:42:27 PM
What's the priority for Armagh going forward? How good is the wider panel ? Are a few more players required or is tactical improvement more important? The fans are obviously a huge asset.

Id say we have the best players in the county on the panel. Some may argue we dont have our best 15 starting though. Hopefully getting the likes of OONeill and Grimley back will improve midfield though in fairness we could do with unearthing another body for there.
Tactically we could improve, certainly defensively we can improve further.

Itchy

Joe Brolly says the Armagh apparent eye-gouger will be banned for at least a year, but the GAA needs to investigate "deliberate assaults" on Galway players during the game.

The Gaelic football analyst and All-Ireland winner with Derry told on The Indo Daily podcast on Independent.ie there is a "venom" in the way some, not all, of the Armagh players behave.

"They are out of control and it is only a matter of time before someone gets very seriously injured," he says.

"This was deliberate goading, deliberate assaults during the course of the game, way beyond what is acceptable. I invite the GAA to look at all the camera footage. They should be asking RTÉ for all of the camera footage, because a lot was missed yesterday. It's not good enough," he says.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2022, 01:42:27 PM
Getting lads back from injury- probably down 4 or 5 starters the other day- Oisin O'Neill (brother of Rian and similar quality), TK, Niall Grimley, Paddy Burns and Ciaran Mackin who came on wearing protective gear on Sunday. Although the 2 young lads who got game time Sunday did really well as well.

Donaghy is some addition on the line as well so keeping him would be massive

seafoid

7:18 "practising penalties since December"

https://youtu.be/3PZpUh1TOBY

Preparation for 1998
https://youtu.be/-FhlNKcyNCI

That's the Galway football culture.

APM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 01:38:31 PM

I think he intentionally sent them off as it would be overturned on appeal .. I think this was 'arranged' as there really wasn't that much complaining about it at the time..

The ban should be what it is endangering another player, there should also be a ban on entering the pitch, the county should also be fined for allowing a non named squad player on the side of the pitch, so the county sec will get pulled for that..

As for having good people around him, they should have been there before it started

Harsh!
The lad is young.  I'm not making excuses, but have there not been other such incidents (albeit without the additional factor of being a non-playing squad member) where there wasn't a media / social media pile on. 

Whatever about the GAA's punishment, this media / social media / political pile-on is a punishment in itself, which is completely arbitrary and has a much greater impact than any suspensions imposed by the GAA. He has become a focal point for the broken nature of the entire GAA disciplinary system.  Were people not seeking out his employer and calling for him to lose his job?   Did other perpetrators of the same offence suffer the same denouncement from the highest offices in the land when similar incidents happened previously in championship or league football?  Did TDs call for Garda investigations into those incidents?

The fault for the incident was much broader than this one player and the GAA have questions to answer too.   

Whatever the misdemeanor, the GAA has a responsibility to players also, in ensuring that the player receives some support in the wake of this media backlash, which absolutely no one can prepare him for. 

I appreciate that you are being genuinely critical of his actions, which is fair enough.  However, I think it's worth having some empathy in this instance also.  Imagine for one second that you were at the centre of one of these media / social media pile-ons. Imagine just how lonely a place that would be.

thewobbler

The social media pile on this one isn't arbitrary. It was the highest attended match of the year, broadcast live across the country. The perpetrator had no reason to be on the pitch, no reason to be touching distance of an opposing player. And then he delivered a truly filthy act, one with such potential for lifelong repercussions that it cannot be condoned by anyone.

As I say, not arbitrary. Not for this one.

seafoid

Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 02:37:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 01:38:31 PM

Harsh!
The lad is young.  I'm not saying he should be excused, but other players have done similar (albeit without the additional factor of being a non-playing squad member) and have not suffered a media / social media pile on. 

He deserves whatever punishment the GAA gives him and I'm sure he will take it.

But this media / social media / political pile-on is a punishment in itself, which is completely arbitrary and has a much greater impact than any suspensions imposed by the GAA. He has become a focal point for the broken nature of the entire GAA disciplinary system.  People were seeking out his employer and calling for him to lose his job?   Did other perpetrators of the same offence suffer the same denouncement from the highest offices in the land when similar incidents happened previously in championship or league football?  Did TDs call for Garda investigations into those incidents?

The fault for the incident was much broader than this one player and the GAA have questions to answer too.   

Despite his misdemeanor, the GAA has a responsibility to this player also, in ensuring that he receives some support in the wake of this media backlash, which absolutely no one can prepare him for. 

I appreciate that you are being genuinely critical of his actions, which is fair enough.  However, I think it's worth having some empathy in this instance also.  Imagine for one second that you were at the centre of one of these media / social media pile-ons. Imagine just how lonely a place that would be.
The GAA's disciplinary process is all over the place.

Milltown Row2

I'm not denying it will be difficult, such is trial by social media nowadays...

His actions though will hopefully be acted on (gouging and entering field of play) and maybe discourage it going forward, I'll certainly be explaining to the captains on Wed night that if there is one melee the first ones in will not be getting "ah come on lads" attitude

We can't continue to have these all in type situations, I've had 4 games at football where this has happened this year, people getting worked up and taking things personal, the ball should be your only focus, we'll end up with a sanitised game to reduce the amount of flare ups we have. Now that would be shit viewing also.

I've only asked he get's what everyone else has received in the past, nothing more. Anything more would be unfair.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

APM

Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2022, 02:44:35 PM
The social media pile on this one isn't arbitrary. It was the highest attended match of the year, broadcast live across the country. The perpetrator had no reason to be on the pitch, no reason to be touching distance of an opposing player. And then he delivered a truly filthy act, one with such potential for lifelong repercussions that it cannot be condoned by anyone.

As I say, not arbitrary. Not for this one.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/kieran-donaghy-opens-up-on-how-close-he-was-to-eye-injury-after-philly-mcmahon-incident-45201

Did this not happen in an AIF?

Social media pile-ons are always arbitrary Wobbler.  They are completely uncontrolled and take on a life of their own and by the time the GAA get round to administering justice, the mob will have got their pound of flesh (whatever a pound of flesh may look like - arbitrary??).  The online mob is a fairly vindictive bunch.

Not every perpetrator of this offence suffers the same.  The same thing could happen in the semi-final, under slightly different circumstance and the mob mightn't mobilise at all.