Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 12:43:12 AM
Sean Kelly did absolutely nothing to warrant a red card. f**king joke.
Ditto the Armagh number 13 did absolutely nothing either and got red.

TSG last night said the GAA said they were both sent off for contributing to a melee.

I know, strange.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 12:14:45 AM
Row as usual could been sorted by 2 lads when Donaghy had seperate them, as usual both sets of players plus subs again piled in. No f**king discpline in players 1. Because managers don't deal with it, 2. Melees make it harder to identify  culprits. 3.players don't take responsibility for their actions, 4.Gaa don't bother their ass to sort it out and take a rugby type discipline approach, limit the rule book on appeals, close all loop holes, any appealed decision doubled if unsuccessful. How many other sports do you seen this shambles, with the usual it's only handbags, nobody got hurt etc to define it. It makes the Gaa a laughing stock.
It's not that big of a deal. Give Kelly a ban for the eye gouging and move on.

Armagh18

Yeah Kelly seemed to be trying to calm the thing down in fairness to him. Not sure what the ref saw. Hope Kelly gets off on appeal for the semi and the very best of luck to yourselves in it. Got chatting to a few Galway ones on the way in and out and all sound people.

BennyHarp

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 07:59:38 AM

TSG last night said the GAA said they were both sent off for contributing to a melee.

I know, strange.

In which case 25 red cards should have been issued.
That was never a square ball!!

Dreadnought

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 07:56:40 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2022, 11:29:05 PM
Some one has to be disappointed. Dragging this out for another week for Amateur players is wrong. If you are good enough to win over 70+ or 90+ minutes then good. If not you can't have any complaints going out to penalties.

Media sources will say otherwise because they want to sell more papers, podcasts, TV advertising etc.

I'd disagree, it was unfair on amateur players and a lost opportunity for football as a whole. We probably can't allow two replays so a decide on the day rule could possibly be brought in for the replay, but if it's a draw after extra time on match one it should be a replay, amateur players deserve that at least.

Football hasn't had a great season overall a replay would have increased interest across the country, who wouldn't have watched Armagh Galway part 2. The fact a lot of inter county players have headed stateside which they're right to do shows the idea of the spilt season hasn't had the expected benefit for clubs.

I don't expect next season QF's to be decided on pens on day 1, I think they'll find room in the schedule for at least one replay after such a high profile, epic game went that way yesterday.

Where do you get the time for replays? Like honestly, where? Is it only for quarter finals onwards, what about provincials? Simply put, with the new calendar, we've no place. Sure, there's a weekend coming up next, but that's set for hurling, and if we did decide to throw in a replay, one team would be out 3 weekends in a row. And wasn't next weekend always set as a day off? What if the players had something organised, and would have to cancel and such. Look, penalties are harsh enough way, but we all knew before the season started that it was this way, no replays. We'll get used to it. It's better this way in the long run

sam03/05

The only suspension out of it all should be the Armagh eye gouger - the rest was handbags - bit of pushing

Dreadnought

And another thing, if some are going to come up with other ideas, at least put some thought into them. Next score wins? 2 scores in a row? How on earth is this meant to be implemented fairly. What if there's a gale wind favouring one team? Penalties are tough, but are fair as you get your chances to take and save them. And it gets finished within a certain period of time.

Gael80

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:25:14 AM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 07:56:40 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2022, 11:29:05 PM
Some one has to be disappointed. Dragging this out for another week for Amateur players is wrong. If you are good enough to win over 70+ or 90+ minutes then good. If not you can't have any complaints going out to penalties.

Media sources will say otherwise because they want to sell more papers, podcasts, TV advertising etc.

I'd disagree, it was unfair on amateur players and a lost opportunity for football as a whole. We probably can't allow two replays so a decide on the day rule could possibly be brought in for the replay, but if it's a draw after extra time on match one it should be a replay, amateur players deserve that at least.

Football hasn't had a great season overall a replay would have increased interest across the country, who wouldn't have watched Armagh Galway part 2. The fact a lot of inter county players have headed stateside which they're right to do shows the idea of the spilt season hasn't had the expected benefit for clubs.

I don't expect next season QF's to be decided on pens on day 1, I think they'll find room in the schedule for at least one replay after such a high profile, epic game went that way yesterday.

Where do you get the time for replays? Like honestly, where? Is it only for quarter finals onwards, what about provincials? Simply put, with the new calendar, we've no place. Sure, there's a weekend coming up next, but that's set for hurling, and if we did decide to throw in a replay, one team would be out 3 weekends in a row. And wasn't next weekend always set as a day off? What if the players had something organised, and would have to cancel and such. Look, penalties are harsh enough way, but we all knew before the season started that it was this way, no replays. We'll get used to it. It's better this way in the long run

I agree you make the rules at the start so yesterday had to be decided that way. However when the plan becomes reality and you see an epic game in the All Ireland series going that way, with players cramping up some common sense has to take over.

We are not soccer and these are not professional players, they give a huge commitment to their county and getting to the All Ireland series takes a lot of hard work. The All Ireland Final has replays, my point is this needs and I expect will be extended to at least one replay throughout the All Ireland series ( QF onwards).

The inter county season will have to be extended by a few weeks but from a marketing perspective this season's championships have been a disaster so I expect All Ireland Finals to be pushed back into August anyhow after a review so there is space.

Amateur players have every right to take up opportunities in America but it shows a lot will use the short season for this benefit other than return straight back to the clubs, obviously not every players does this but the numbers are high. This is unlikely to be lost on the GAA when they review the split season dates and that is another reason I think we'll see All Ireland Finals being played in August.

Taylor

A lot of talking points.

The red card was harsh enough

ONeill could have saw red for a slap to the face - got a yellow instead so not sure how it was a yellow

Armagh #2 barged into Comer on the way off the field - that started the row - but bar the eye gouging nothing else really happened and the two boys who got the reds can feel rightly aggrieved

A lengthy ban for the eye gouging - the pitchforks are out in force online for that fella.

Galway keeper will not enjoy the game v Derry if he plays - will be put under immense pressure after yesterday

If people had such an issue with penalties then they should have been brought up long before now

While entertaining and exciting neither of these teams would be able to live with Derry

Rossfan

If we bring back replays next year from PQFs on it will take about 9 weekends to play the knockout stages because
"You can't have amateur players playing 3 weekends in a row"
If we push AI Finals back to say 2nd and 3rd weekends in August you'll be back to rushed Club Championships in Counties getting to closing stages. Remember "fix the fixtures"?
Listening to Cavanagh on the SG ranting about  a replay next weekend... did he hear about the Hurling Semi Finals or did he want the game in Thurles, Limerick or Cork?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dreadnought

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 08:41:44 AM

I agree you make the rules at the start so yesterday had to be decided that way. However when the plan becomes reality and you see an epic game in the All Ireland series going that way, with players cramping up some common sense has to take over.

We are not soccer and these are not professional players, they give a huge commitment to their county and getting to the All Ireland series takes a lot of hard work. The All Ireland Final has replays, my point is this needs and I expect will be extended to at least one replay throughout the All Ireland series ( QF onwards).

The inter county season will have to be extended by a few weeks but from a marketing perspective this season's championships have been a disaster so I expect All Ireland Finals to be pushed back into August anyhow after a review so there is space.

Amateur players have every right to take up opportunities in America but it shows a lot will use the short season for this benefit other than return straight back to the clubs, obviously not every players does this but the numbers are high. This is unlikely to be lost on the GAA when they review the split season dates and that is another reason I think we'll see All Ireland Finals being played in August.

Replays are done, we've known about it this year and need to accept it. Yes, we're not soccer, but penalties have been a part of our game for ages now, so it's not like it's something not from the game. With the calendar we set out, and load on players, it's finish on the day and we just need to get with it. It's harsh, but we know our winners now. They tried other things and they didn't work as well

thewobbler

When you don't win a match, you do not deserve to stay in a competition.

The winners of a penalty shoot out are lucky. They only remain in the competition because we need even number of teams at each stage. The losers.... they get what they deserve.

People should rein in sob stories for teams that weren't good enough to win.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 08:44:21 AM
A lot of talking points.

The red card was harsh enough

ONeill could have saw red for a slap to the face - got a yellow instead so not sure how it was a yellow

Armagh #2 barged into Comer on the way off the field - that started the row - but bar the eye gouging nothing else really happened and the two boys who got the reds can feel rightly aggrieved

A lengthy ban for the eye gouging - the pitchforks are out in force online for that fella.

Galway keeper will not enjoy the game v Derry if he plays - will be put under immense pressure after yesterday

If people had such an issue with penalties then they should have been brought up long before now

While entertaining and exciting neither of these teams would be able to live with Derry

I know it was the league, not sure the importance of that game to Derry had they beaten Galway, but they won handy enough in Owenbeg, and certainly won't fear them. Bar that crazy 7 minutes Galway were winning handy enough..

Good to see a 'proper' set of semi finals winners of the provinces, Derry played the weakest team and did what they had to do, Dublin could have done better but they'll be happy enough. Kerry didnt play as well as they have done and Galway will be confident enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gael80

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:54:12 AM

Replays are done, we've known about it this year and need to accept it. Yes, we're not soccer, but penalties have been a part of our game for ages now, so it's not like it's something not from the game. With the calendar we set out, and load on players, it's finish on the day and we just need to get with it. It's harsh, but we know our winners now. They tried other things and they didn't work as well

I guess at the minute replays are gone but it isn't a rule can never be reviewed again. We try things and review them which is the right thing to do.

There is a huge opinion out there this morning that deciding an All Ireland QF on penalties was wrong led by a football legend and Galway manager who won them yesterday.

It needs a review and in my opinion I fully expect they will be reviewed in the wider split season discussion. It is a football side of things people disagree with it on but from a business viewpoint the GAA lost at least 30,000 ticket sales depending on what venue would of been available, is this sustainable when the reason for the split season isn't having the planned effect ie inter county players immediately returning to their clubs earlier!

We're trying to find the perfect system and there will be some trial and error over the next few years with it, my guess is replays will be included throughout the All Ireland series going forward with space found to accommdate them.

tiempo

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 08:54:12 AM

I guess at the minute replays are gone but it isn't a rule can never be reviewed again. We try things and review them which is the right thing to do.

There is a huge opinion out there this morning that deciding an All Ireland QF on penalties was wrong led by a football legend and Galway manager who won them yesterday.

It needs a review and in my opinion I fully expect they will be reviewed in the wider split season discussion. It is a football side of things people disagree with it on but from a business viewpoint the GAA lost at least 30,000 ticket sales depending on what venue would of been available, is this sustainable when the reason for the split season isn't having the planned effect ie inter county players immediately returning to their clubs earlier!

We're trying to find the perfect system and there will be some trial and error over the next few years with it, my guess is replays will be included throughout the All Ireland series going forward with space found to accommdate them.

Impossible, penalties are a necessary evil, the days or replays are gone, for better and worse, times change, needs must