Is Nationalism on the Decline in the North?

Started by Applesisapples, May 08, 2015, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Unionist vote has increased by approx 2% and the Nationalist vote is in decline, share down by over 3%. FST gone. Surely this is the start of the end for nationalists in the North.

Aerlik

The Stoops should be proud of themselves after what happened in Fermanagh/South Tyrone. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

screenexile

I don't think so... it's more Nationalists apathy towards our political representation.

With the issue of flegs/parades since the last General Election I think it has galvanised the Unionists into making sure they get out so FST isn't lost again.

I still think within the next 10-20 years there will be a Nationalist majority in NI and then the shit will hit the fan if a referendum is called.

On another note are the electoral boundaries being redrawn before the Next GE?

topcuppla

Quote from: Aerlik on May 08, 2015, 11:06:20 AM
The Stoops should be proud of themselves after what happened in Fermanagh/South Tyrone.

They have every right to stand, maybe if the sinners took their seat they might get more votes.

Applesisapples

I don't see where this optimism for a nationalist majority is coming from. The stats would say otherwise. Citizens from a catholic background may be in a majority but they are unlikely to be nationalist surely? The SDLP and Sinn Fein both must accept culpability. Fresh thinking and a combined approach is required. The issue seems to be that young people are switched off by the current nationalist parties.

Ulick

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2015, 11:02:53 AM
Unionist vote has increased by approx 2% and the Nationalist vote is in decline, share down by over 3%. FST gone. Surely this is the start of the end for nationalists in the North.

No the vote is there, but fresh ideas are required.

Pub Bore

Quote from: screenexile on May 08, 2015, 11:08:52 AM
I don't think so... it's more Nationalists apathy towards our political representation.

With the issue of flegs/parades since the last General Election I think it has galvanised the Unionists into making sure they get out so FST isn't lost again.

I still think within the next 10-20 years there will be a Nationalist majority in NI and then the shit will hit the fan if a referendum is called.

On another note are the electoral boundaries being redrawn before the Next GE?

I think they are.  I read somewhere that Belfast could go to 3 seats.  Some talk of the overall number of MPs being reduced too.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2015, 11:26:20 AM

No the vote is there, but fresh ideas are required.

I agree with Ulick, the votes are there but the policies, faces and ideas aren't there to attract a section of voters to come out.

LeoMc

But are the overall numbers down?
This could be more about Unionist parties getting better at getting their voters out.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: screenexile on May 08, 2015, 11:08:52 AM

I'd agree with this.

Unionist turnout increased as the union is 'under threat'. Same crisis cannot be said of Nationalism/Republicanism.

Also, important to note that unionist pacts are, in my opinion, the beginning of the end for unionists in those areas; Having to lump all support together to nick a win. A last roll of the dice if you will.

Applesisapples

I believe that Alasdair McDonnell and Gerry Adams are a big turn off for many nationalists, certainly for me they are. On the SF side McGuinness, Conor Murphy, Michelle Gildernew and a few others mitigate the effect, on the SDLP side Big Dolly is even worse than McDonnell. On an aside Martina Anderson was a disaster on TV last night, Reg Empty and Arlene Foster wiped the floor with her.
I'd agree that a UI now does not appeal to many Catholics.

gallsman

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2015, 11:48:04 AM
I believe that Alasdair McDonnell and Gerry Adams are a big turn off for many nationalists, certainly for me they are. On the SF side McGuinness, Conor Murphy, Michelle Gildernew and a few others mitigate the effect, on the SDLP side Big Dolly is even worse than McDonnell. On an aside Martina Anderson was a disaster on TV last night, Reg Empty and Arlene Foster wiped the floor with her.
I'd agree that a UI now does not appeal to many Catholics.

It's a spectacular achievement to be upended by this pillock.

I think the idea of a UI would appeal to people if they had the right candidates. I'd happily vote for Pearse Doherty if he stood in Dublin. They just don't have enough of them. Yet.

screenexile

Quote from: the_daddy on May 08, 2015, 11:39:28 AM
I don't think there are any more. Too many people from a Nationalist background are content within the UK. It may have taken 40 years but the normalisation policy has worked a treat. As British as Finchley  >:(

Why would we want to join the Republic at the minute when the place is couped? Water charges, EU Bailouts, no justice for the people who couped the place, a non competitive banking sector taking the piss out of people mortgaged to the eyeballs. f**k that!!

If the Republic get their house in order and Sinn Fein and the Stoops can present a good enough case to the ordinary person that they'd be better off in the free state then I think it's still ingrained in most of us that we want to be a part of Ireland.

The key is to show people that it's better for us not just "at least it's not the Brits" which is too wishy washy in this day and age!!!

general_lee

Nationalist apathy is the big problem. Combined numbers for SF/SDLP votes are down the last three consecutive GEs. Screenexile summed it up for me, pretty much everyone I know would share his attitude to SF.

SF need to up their game big time and properly set out their stall. They need to stop blowing on about a UI and properly delve into how and why it should take place ie develop tangible strategies that will attract voters especially around health care and the economy.

They need a shake up in personnel though I can't see that happening. Some of the older heads, especially those with an illustrious past need pushed to the side to make way for new faces. The likes of MOM has been exceptional for SF and the response he gets even from some Unionist quarters has to be exploited more.

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on May 08, 2015, 11:54:40 AM
Quote from: the_daddy on May 08, 2015, 11:39:28 AM
I don't think there are any more. Too many people from a Nationalist background are content within the UK. It may have taken 40 years but the normalisation policy has worked a treat. As British as Finchley  >:(

Why would we want to join the Republic
When has Sinn Féin or any other party lobbied for "joining the republic"?