Has the Irish News Finally embraced the BBC's partionist view of sport?

Started by Applesisapples, June 15, 2013, 10:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

On the Monday after the Donegal Hurling team won the NR Cup Auntie BEEB confined her Ulster GAA round up to County's from the O6C. No mention of Donegal's great win. Today's Irish News ignores Phelan and Harrington as Nigel Ringland bemoans the lack of Northern Ireland challengers, McIlroy excepted. Followers of GAA and Golf for the most part like to look at their sport on an All Island, if not All Irish basis. In fact the IN has reports on Woosnam and Donald...not a mention of Phelan's heroics. Perhaps it's time to change the name to Northern Irish News?

thewobbler

If the Irish News covered all of Ireland equally, or even close to equally, then I'd never buy it again. In exactly the same way that if Newry Reporter had lots of Dundalk news, I'd never read it.

I want 10 pages on the Ulster Football Championship; I don't buy it to find out who Kilkenny trampled in Leinster hurling.

It's a regional newspaper doing what regional newspapers should do, it's not partitionism, you daft sod.

Applesisapples

Quote from: thewobbler on June 15, 2013, 10:37:43 AM
If the Irish News covered all of Ireland equally, or even close to equally, then I'd never buy it again. In exactly the same way that if Newry Reporter had lots of Dundalk news, I'd never read it.

I want 10 pages on the Ulster Football Championship; I don't buy it to find out who Kilkenny trampled in Leinster hurling.

It's a regional newspaper doing what regional newspapers should do, it's not partitionism, you daft sod.
Actually look at the points I was making, not asking it to cover everything but in the Golf and in GAA there are interests which go beyond the occupied 6. And the IN does sell in the ROI as well particularly the Ulster counties.
Oh and I am neither daft nor a sod no need to get personal.

T Fearon

Journalist asked to write a column will reflect his own views,and the Irish News core readership is in the six counties.Besides it can hardly cover every unknown player who returns a reasonable score from the opening non business end rounds of a major championship,probably never to be heard of again.

thewobbler

Actually look at the points I was making, not asking it to cover everything but in the Golf and in GAA there are interests which go beyond the occupied 6.
First of all, your interest in these things isn't though necessarily reflective of the readership.

Secondly, with east coast timings meaning that the IN coverage of the US Open is always going to be over a day behind, there really is no point in spending a lot of time on stories that will have evolved on a different path between penning and print. By focusing on local golfers, they can provide insights that their readership won't get from Irish or UK press, or from Sky coverage.

Regarding your gripe on hurling. I'd guess that there was more in attendance at a lot of junior club football fixtures the same weekend. Which, by nature, makes them of greater public interest. And I don't expect them covered in a regional paper.

And the IN does sell in the ROI as well particularly the Ulster counties.
Yes, but only to people who are from NI, or tend to spend a lot of time with family, people or businesses from NI. They aren't buying it to read Belfast's opinion on Dublin affairs.

Oh and I am neither daft nor a sod no need to get personal.
Apologies. But it annoys me when people can't understand that a newspaper's biggest agenda is to sell newspapers. The IN has carved out a niche market. This doesn't make it partitionist, it means it's making money out of a partition.

Applesisapples

Go back and read my post. The Donegal comment was aimed at BBC. The Irish News widely reports on English Soccer. There were 2 pieces on English Golfers. Where is your proof that there is no interest in Harrington in NI. Furthermore the IN traditionally reflected a pro nationalist view of the world to counter balance the two Unionist papers, if this is totally lost, and I am not saying it is yet, it would be a pity.

Orior

I'm also disappointed that Harrington and Phelan are being overlooked by the Irish News and BBC NI.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Fact of life.I doubt whether the Irish Times or Indo/Sindo gives much coverage to the wee six.No paper can cover everything or everyone therefore as circulation figures are paramount,most will only cover those directly connected with their core region.

armaghniac

I don;t think the Indo or the Irish Times ignore Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell.

There are many in the 6 counties who consider themselves Irish people and who read the Irish News, the are interested in the performance of Irish people and teams in International Sport. Of course there is a regional aspect, I would expect to find coverage of the Armagh club games, in the Irish News, Cork club games are found in the Irish Examiner. I'd expect both to have much the same attention to international golf. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Bummer,I'm shocked too.You failed to mention the tweets of the day section,crucial to the Irish News' strong circulation figures ;D

BennyHarp

Ah ffs people have far too much time on their hands if they go getting upset by things like this. The hurling is virtually meaningless beyond the family and friends of those involved. The numbers at the game suggest even Donegal people don't really give a shite. And I'd hardly call Harrington (9 over par) and Phelan (16 over par) as being "heroic" and newsworthy! I'd be fairly confident that if either golfers were still competitive by Sunday morning they would be getting some coverage in the Irish News. To suggest that this displays a partitionist view by the newspaper........ Ah I give up!!!
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

Also at least once a year the paper surveys readers with a comprehensive questionnaire which seeks to find out the content desired etc.Perhaps the actual content is reflected by the overall trends of this survey,which presumably don't indicate a strong readership desire for Donegal hurling news. ;D

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on June 15, 2013, 05:21:19 PM
Fact of life.I doubt whether the Irish Times or Indo/Sindo gives much coverage to the wee six.No paper can cover everything or everyone therefore as circulation figures are paramount,most will only cover those directly connected with their core region.
Weak response Tony. Their circulation is dropping by one. The Irish Times covers players from here.