The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

At the end of extra time I thought Chelsea would win on pens for the simple reason Liverpool looked shattered and Chelsea were able to stand and do their huddle!  Pedro and Kante were two pains in the arse all night.  Neither put a foot wrong, buzzing around everywhere. Pedro was still flying around the pitch by the end of extra time.  Two great performances from them.

Delighted for Adrian.  He got done for the penalty. Pulled out and the young lad took a dive.

Nice to keep a winning vibe going if for no reason that to hear Klopp post match. He's a bit different to most managers.

That's just, like your opinion man.

AZOffaly

How open LFC are through the middle is a big worry though. Last night, and against Norwich, you could drive a coach and four through the middle of the Liverpool midfield and straight at our defence. VVD is a class act but that is tough duty. Fabinho doesn't look up to the pace of last year yet, and I think the other midfielders are being told to go slightly wider, which means the middle is a bit more open. It will be interesting to see how that evolves as the year goes on.

Armamike

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2019, 09:39:41 AM
How open LFC are through the middle is a big worry though. Last night, and against Norwich, you could drive a coach and four through the middle of the Liverpool midfield and straight at our defence. VVD is a class act but that is tough duty. Fabinho doesn't look up to the pace of last year yet, and I think the other midfielders are being told to go slightly wider, which means the middle is a bit more open. It will be interesting to see how that evolves as the year goes on.

Yep.  Midfield was non existent in large patches.  Going forward as well, it was a problem in that there was no one to get on the ball and link to Mane and Salah.  The gap was too big.  That all changed when Firmino came on and dropped into midfield and linked play up.  His impact was huge.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Hound

The positive is the three lads all look very sharp!

The midfield isn't looking good, but it never really looks good. Fab is a bit down, but I'm not worried about him (and I'd make him lead peno taker). Hendo is playing as well as he can play, so won't complain about him only being average. Had hoped Ox would regain his form quickly, but that hasn't happened yet. And Keita the fecker back injured. Milner not going well, although rarely looks good alongside Hendo, but he might finally be going towards the other side of the hill. Gini is a feckin waste of space. Hiding again when the going is tough. I really dunno how gets away with it. Continually putting himself in a place where he can't receive the ball, and then pointing for the ball to go somewhere else other than him. I know he was amazing v Barca, which makes it more frustrating how little he contributes normally, does my head in!

Defence is all over the shop. Word is they're trying to play a little bit differently than last year. Hopefully we'll cop on soon that last year's defensive plan was the best one!

Almost everytime Adrian makes a save it rebounds out to a dangerous position. That will definitely cost us goals. Still, prefer him to Mig or Karius. Pity Kelleher was injured at exactly the wrong time.

Southampton was always going to be dangerous given so close to Istanbul, and now ET added to that. And them getting hammered on Day 1 was not a good thing. 

TabClear

Quote from: TabClear on August 14, 2019, 10:46:54 PM
Was one foot on the line for that last pen?? ;)

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/uefas-var-penalty-rule-clarification-16758358

The replay showed that the Spaniard crept forward from his line and saved the penalty - leading to calls from fans of the London side stating that the spot-kick should have been re-taken. The UEFA ruling states: "The goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line when the kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line".

Now ESPN are reporting that UEFA Chief Refereeing Officer Roberto Rosetti said before the Super Cup that "goalkeepers will only be penalised by VAR for leaving the line if it's a blatant and clear violation of the new law."

UEFA are not helping themselves as regards VAR. The foot on the line/encroachment is a matter of fact that can addressed using VAR much like offside but they are now adding an element of subjectivity. I personally disagree with the rule as I think it gives to much advantage to the attacker but if the rule is there then apply it. Same applies to encroachment at penalties (Pretty sure a Chelsea player was in the D when Jorginho scored in extratime). Yes there would probably be a lot of retaken kicks initially but players would not be long adapting.

TabClear

Quote from: Hound on August 15, 2019, 11:39:08 AM

The midfield isn't looking good, but it never really looks good. Fab is a bit down, but I'm not worried about him (and I'd make him lead peno taker). Hendo is playing as well as he can play, so won't complain about him only being average. Had hoped Ox would regain his form quickly, but that hasn't happened yet. And Keita the fecker back injured. Milner not going well, although rarely looks good alongside Hendo, but he might finally be going towards the other side of the hill. Gini is a feckin waste of space. Hiding again when the going is tough. I really dunno how gets away with it. Continually putting himself in a place where he can't receive the ball, and then pointing for the ball to go somewhere else other than him. I know he was amazing v Barca, which makes it more frustrating how little he contributes normally, does my head in!

Defence is all over the shop. Word is they're trying to play a little bit differently than last year. Hopefully we'll cop on soon that last year's defensive plan was the best one!

Almost everytime Adrian makes a save it rebounds out to a dangerous position. That will definitely cost us goals. Still, prefer him to Mig or Karius. Pity Kelleher was injured at exactly the wrong time.

Southampton was always going to be dangerous given so close to Istanbul, and now ET added to that. And them getting hammered on Day 1 was not a good thing.

Salah needs to get the head up more. In the two games so far he has taken on shots when he should have passed. I know its hard to criticise him given his record but if he was a bit more unselfish (a la Bobby beside him) I think it would benefit the team. For Mane's first goal Mo would probably have taken the shot on with the keeper at point blank range rather than poke it to the side.

I hope the defense will sort itself out and revert back to last years approach. Midfield slightly more concerning but Henderson has been excellent so far and hopefully Fabinho will press on. Disappointed not to see a bit of Keita last night, hope the injury is not too serious.

laoislad

Quote from: TabClear on August 15, 2019, 12:00:34 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 15, 2019, 11:39:08 AM

Salah needs to get the head up more. In the two games so far he has taken on shots when he should have passed. I know its hard to criticise him given his record but if he was a bit more unselfish (a la Bobby beside him) I think it would benefit the team. For Mane's first goal Mo would probably have taken the shot on with the keeper at point blank range rather than poke it to the side.

I hope the defense will sort itself out and revert back to last years approach. Midfield slightly more concerning but Henderson has been excellent so far and hopefully Fabinho will press on. Disappointed not to see a bit of Keita last night, hope the injury is not too serious.

I actually thought Salah should have been more selfish last night. There were a couple of times he passed when he might have been better taking it on himself.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: Hound on August 15, 2019, 07:27:29 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 15, 2019, 02:17:01 AM

Other Euro 4???

Only 3 UEFA cups.

"Other Euro" is Euro Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup combined. Hence Liverpool 3 and ManU 2.
Before today, Liverpool also had 3 Super Cups, so I think someone took that graph and thought "Other Euro" meant Super Cup, so (wrongly) added one to it!
Between super cups and intercontinental cups, United have 3. So we'd have one more, but I wouldnt call them "Major Trophies".  Like you'd never include charity shields (especially as United have more!)

So overall, still level in the Major Trophy league table at 42 each.

Super Cups are played under competitive rules so get included, Charity don't so aren't included.

angermanagement

Klopp says Adrian a doubt for Southampton with swollen ankle after being injured by a fan who ran on the pitch during Super Cup final celebrations.

Lonergan debut? Or Kelleher?

Dire Ear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49369915
Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian could miss Southampton game after a pitch invader injured his ankle

laoislad

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 16, 2019, 11:27:20 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49369915
Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian could miss Southampton game after a pitch invader injured his ankle
At this rate Grobbelaar will be getting a phone call soon....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

markl121

TabClear

markl121

Quote from: TabClear on August 16, 2019, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: markl121 on August 16, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
Imagine how mignolet feels

Or karius.......
Actually think we can't get him back even if we needed, two year deal no Taney backsies. I'd say we put that in thinking it was a great idea at the time

supersub

Quote from: markl121 on August 16, 2019, 06:00:20 PM
Quote from: TabClear on August 16, 2019, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: markl121 on August 16, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
Imagine how mignolet feels

Or karius.......
Actually think we can't get him back even if we needed, two year deal no Taney backsies. I'd say we put that in thinking it was a great idea at the time

It was.