FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Given our home form, hard to be optimistic. Our record against Western European teams in playoffs is never won any.

Syferus

It's hard to compare Denmark to the likes of Belgium/Italy/Spain/France (did we lose that one?), much closer to us on the rung than any of those sides.

I'd be looking at each team's strengths and weaknesses rather than an arbitrary grouping of a country with their regional neighbours. That's a bit like worrying about Wicklow being near Dublin in football.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on October 17, 2017, 07:25:10 PM
It's hard to compare Denmark to the likes of Belgium/Italy/Spain/France (did we lose that one?), much closer to us on the rung than any of those sides.

I'd be looking at each team's strengths and weaknesses rather than an arbitrary grouping of a country with their regional neighbours. That's a bit like worrying about Wicklow being near Dublin in football.

Ah I don't think so. Our only successes in playoffs have come against Iran, Estonia and Bosnia. The Danes will be a cut above that. I'd put them on par with the Belgium and Turkey teams we lost out to, but we are weaker. Very surprised with the confidence. Seems to be based on them losing at home to Montenegro, who they still beat away. We'd do well to beat Montenegro.

An Watcher

Well put it this way then, if we drew any of the others we'd definitely be screwed as the Danes were the weakest top seed.  They would have been hoping for the Greeks no doubt.  As someone said earlier a 50/50 call

Wildweasel74

Denmark no where near the ability of the belgiums

BennyCake

Belgium are wayyyy overrated.  They've done nothing of note in recent years.

Capt Pat

Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2017, 08:30:20 PM

Belgium were beaten 3-1 by Wales at the Euros, but i fancy them to set the record straight in Russia. They will get to the semis and finish third.

BennyCake

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 17, 2017, 08:38:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 17, 2017, 08:30:20 PM

Belgium were beaten 3-1 by Wales at the Euros, but i fancy them to set the record straight in Russia. They will get to the semis and finish third.

Getting to the semis don't mean they'll beat anyone of note. Turkey/Korea 2002, Sweden 1994 anyone?

Avondhu star

If the Republic doesn't qualify at least we will be spared Facebook entries of gobshites serenading babies or helping some **** of a Russian fix a puncture
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Syferus

Quote from: Avondhu star on October 17, 2017, 11:43:26 PM
If the Republic doesn't qualify at least we will be spared Facebook entries of gobshites serenading babies or helping some **** of a Russian fix a puncture

You're a sad man if that really bothers you.

Asal Mor

Or cleaning up for the boys in green, though it seems we only clean up when there's a chance of going viral.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/sport/cardiff-ireland-wales-603434

Esmarelda

How about if the Russian was a nice fella?

Fat Angry Motorist

"FIFA - known for its diplomatic approach to many issues - has sparked a reaction by its decision to Irish-ify Northern Ireland for the World Cup play-off draw."

I hope this was tongue in cheek from the Bel Tel's FB page.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!