Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Dublin will win. It's the margin that will be interesting.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2019, 02:04:04 AM
I'd be pretty positive about Mayo this week.

PP has Dub -5, which, if you follow the patterns of non-biased odds compilers means that Mayo are the first team in with a shout (in a serious game) v Dublin, since they last played Dublin.

Of course it's still a justifiable 5 point swing.

So we have to look for hope.

Here's my hope.

Meath kept Dublin in a game for 40 mins by being utterly aggressive in the tackle. If their forwards had have even half turned up we might have seen a duel. We didn't. Meath's defence couldn't compensate for their forward's ineptitude.

Cork went full gung ho at them and even managed to scare themselves. By running at them at pace, with the potential to switch it up. Then they got nervous. Dublin kept bringing players off the bench who were used to this sort of thing.

Mayo's defence is harder, fitter and more likely to seriously f**k anyone up than Meath.

Mayo are probably no quicker or direct in their running game than Cork. But 10 of them have been working on it together for a decade.

Mayo will most likely be bringing on DOC, Moran, Parsons and Ruane as the game moves into the final quarter. None might have 70 mins in them, but they don't need to have. There's a strong to middling chance they'll be entering a level game. The Dubs aren't used to facing that sort of quality from a bench.

Dublin are rightful favourites. But this one, in my earnest opinion, is going to come down to small margins. Much like their previous meetings. Dubs surely cannot expect to win every coin toss  just because They're Dublin.

Higgins and Moran played in the 2006 semi final

https://youtu.be/mGs-0u1E3uw
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

SouthDublinBro

Mayo will be praying for heavy showers.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2019, 02:04:04 AM
I'd be pretty positive about Mayo this week.

PP has Dub -5, which, if you follow the patterns of non-biased odds compilers means that Mayo are the first team in with a shout (in a serious game) v Dublin, since they last played Dublin.

Of course it's still a justifiable 5 point swing.

So we have to look for hope.

Here's my hope.

Meath kept Dublin in a game for 40 mins by being utterly aggressive in the tackle. If their forwards had have even half turned up we might have seen a duel. We didn't. Meath's defence couldn't compensate for their forward's ineptitude.

Cork went full gung ho at them and even managed to scare themselves. By running at them at pace, with the potential to switch it up. Then they got nervous. Dublin kept bringing players off the bench who were used to this sort of thing.

Mayo's defence is harder, fitter and more likely to seriously f**k anyone up than Meath.

Mayo are probably no quicker or direct in their running game than Cork. But 10 of them have been working on it together for a decade.

Mayo will most likely be bringing on DOC, Moran, Parsons and Ruane as the game moves into the final quarter. None might have 70 mins in them, but they don't need to have. There's a strong to middling chance they'll be entering a level game. The Dubs aren't used to facing that sort of quality from a bench.

Dublin are rightful favourites. But this one, in my earnest opinion, is going to come down to small margins. Much like their previous meetings. Dubs surely cannot expect to win every coin toss  just because They're Dublin.

Spot-on Wobbler. Dublin put their pants on one leg at a time, just like anybody else. Money has nothing to do with it. Mayo have a great chance on Saturday.

omagh_gael

As much as I'd love to see a cracker on Saturday I've a feeling this could turn out pretty rough for Mayo. They've put in another serious effort to get this far and now they're meeting a rested Dublin team with a serious motivation to go for the 5 in a row. I know Mayo have put it up to the Dubs in the past but guys like Chris Barrett, Keith Higgins and Colm Boyle have two more years on the clock and haven't encountered a full throttle Dublin team since their last AI final.

I think Mayo will will seriously miss Jason Doc in this game. He had a stormer in those AI finals and has the physicality and vision to really bring guys like CoC and Moran into the games against the Dubs.

I'm going for a comfortable Dub win beating the spread.

WhoDat

dont get the doom and gloom around mayo. they were written off against donegal and proved people wrong, and now those same people are going to try and write them off again. fact is, Dublin haven't had a tough match in two years and the last team to give them a game was mayo. I dont know if mayo will win it but I think they'll give them a rattle.

Armagh18

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 05, 2019, 06:19:11 PM
As much as I'd love to see a cracker on Saturday I've a feeling this could turn out pretty rough for Mayo. They've put in another serious effort to get this far and now they're meeting a rested Dublin team with a serious motivation to go for the 5 in a row. I know Mayo have put it up to the Dubs in the past but guys like Chris Barrett, Keith Higgins and Colm Boyle have two more years on the clock and haven't encountered a full throttle Dublin team since their last AI final.

I think Mayo will will seriously miss Jason Doc in this game. He had a stormer in those AI finals and has the physicality and vision to really bring guys like CoC and Moran into the games against the Dubs.

I'm going for a comfortable Dub win beating the spread.
The Dubs haven't got out of 3rd gear since they last played Mayo in the championship though.

lenny

Quote from: WhoDat on August 05, 2019, 06:27:22 PM
dont get the doom and gloom around mayo. they were written off against donegal and proved people wrong, and now those same people are going to try and write them off again. fact is, Dublin haven't had a tough match in two years and the last team to give them a game was mayo. I dont know if mayo will win it but I think they'll give them a rattle.

Totally agree. The one team left who could beat dublin is mayo. They are experienced, physical and have real quality especially in defence and midfield. They are nowhere near efficient as dublin but if they dominate possession they might just have enough to win.

Blowitupref

Quote from: WhoDat on August 05, 2019, 06:27:22 PM

Donegal were talked up too much more than Mayo written off, Dublin on the other hand deserve to be talked up before this game and tipped to win.  Dublin had no tough game so far this summer but last summer Donegal got within 5 points in Croke Park, Tyrone lost by just 3 points in Omagh and by 6 points in the AI final. I would class those margin of victories as giving Dublin a game and i would expect Mayo to give Dublin a game on Saturday but lose by 4 to 6 points.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mayo4Sam14

Dean Rock hasn't played much football, what's the story there?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:12:58 PM
Missed most of the league through injury and Gavin stuck with Costello for the championship based on league form

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2019, 09:20:11 PM
Missed most of the league through injury and Gavin stuck with Costello for the championship based on league form

Would you be concerned about that for the season going forward?

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:21:32 PM

Not at all. Was available for Leinster championship, but he couldn't make the 1st 15 ahead of Costello. Has beem on fire from open play and frees last 2 games he started. What's more disappointing is Costello's dip in form from the league.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2019, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:21:32 PM

Not at all. Was available for Leinster championship, but he couldn't make the 1st 15 ahead of Costello. Has beem on fire from open play and frees last 2 games he started. What's more disappointing is Costello's dip in form from the league.

Not to be too dismissive, I know very well the talent Rock has, but it's a lot easier to put over scores  coming on when the games more less over and your padding the score. Mayo are going to bring intensity at the least and it could be hard to come back into with little games played.