Sligo lads-opinion on T Taylor????

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 14, 2007, 10:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Lads I played county VEC with this lad and been to more Sligo matches than anyone. I dont rate him. He hides on the field. No presence and never catches a ball. Very slow and never scores. Was terrible in Tipp and came on last Sunday and did he touch the ball. Everyone agrees with me but I want a south Sligo view. Even K quinn has lost alot pace too. Was poor against tipp. A few players i dont think should be in panel: G Mcgowan, P taylor,T Taylor, K o neill, Just too slow.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

full back

Are you a disgruntled player who is p1ssed off because you are not on the panel?

Hound

Quote from: full back on February 14, 2007, 11:02:17 AM
Are you a disgruntled player who is p1ssed off because you are not on the panel?
Whoever he is, I bet he's fast!

magpie seanie

Disagree with you about the two Coolera lads but then again I would, wouldn't I? I thought Karol did well enough last Sunday against Louth in the time he was on. Kieran was good against Galway and not great against Leitrim in the FBD. I think he has plenty to offer. You won't see lads burning grass this time of year anyway but I can guarantee you O'Neill and Quinner are not slow.

Tony Taylor is a very good club player and always looks impressive for Harps. That said he has had very few moments for the county to convince me he has it for that level. He's still pretty young (22 or 23?) and may develop yet. He had a great outing at U-21 last year or the year before against Galway which hinted at what he might be capable of so I wouldn't totally write him off - though I accept he is slow at fulfilling that potential. Also its not fair or true to say he hides.

SLIGONIAN

Disgruntled player I am afraid not. I put county before club in ever term. I aint near county standard anyway. But I love supporting the all blacks and go to every game. I have no hidden agenda or bilinkered club vision..

A few points on: I thought Quinn was good against Galway but leitrim and tipp he was poor. You say ONEILL and QUINN aint slow well I have to disagree. To my eyes they are slow. Not sure about summer football for them.

I agree i was at that u21 game against Galway and I thought hes going to make it but thats 2 yrs ago now and he is still living off that performance. Did T Taylor touch the ball when he came on last Sunday?? He does hide. He looks like a man who doesnt want the ball. That is the harsh reality and truth. Against tipp too it was just disheartening to see.

baoithe

My first game of the year was last Sunday in the Park and I have to say I was reasonably impressed. I was disappointed that Quinn wasn't playing because I was hoping to get a look at him to see what sort of shape he is in. Prior to his time away from the county set up Kieran Quinn was never a slow player and I doubt very much he has lost all his pace in the meantime. At his best he did look a wee bit awkward and lanky but he was very effective. Also I don't think it is fair to judge him so early in his first year back. If he gets a run free of injury we should be seeing a much improved player come May. O'Neill, for me, would not make the the top 20 players on the panel but I would completely disagree with anyone who asserts that he lacks pace. As for Taylor, well by all accounts, as Seanie has said, he is a great club player but there is no doubt that he has failed to deliver at county level. However, I remember Paul Durcan in his early days when he was nothing to behold in the middle of the park. In fact (I was going to say "as recently as") in 1997 against Roscommon in the Connacht semi-final he couldn't have caught a cold that day. His handling was terrible and he consistently dropped any balls that he did get a hand to. Nevertheless he was a terrific worker around the field and never gave up. Maybe Taylor needs to improve his workrate a wee bit and hopefully in time his all-round game will improve. As for him hiding, I think that any player playing for any county would be dropped fairly promptly if they are in the business of hiding.
Getting back briefly to the game on Sunday, I seem to remember someone saying that they thought Brendan Egan had a great game on Sunday. There's no doubt that he covered alot of ground but I felt that it wasn't until the last fifteen minutes that he started to become effective by getting some hits and tackles in. I dont remember him winning much ball at midfield at all. I thought the corner backs were very good, as was Noel McGuire. The only fault I could find with Noel is that when the ball came across the box for the goal I thought he might have competed slightly better for it, or at least leant into his man to put him off but I'm being fussy. Kenneth Sweeney has a great foot on him and all he needs is a glimpse of the posts. Phillip Greene was confident and assured and made one terrific save and his kickouts could not be faulted. In the second half Phillip Gallagher put in a huge amount of work and I was mightily impressed with his conversion from a corner back. All-in-all it was a good performance. However, I dont think Waterford are world beaters and Sligo let them back into the game at various stages. One thing that concerned me was the ease with Waterford were able to work their way upfield and conjure up goal chances. Do you guys think the dismissal of O'Hara had anything to do with this? Or maybe our injuries were the problem?

SLIGONIAN

O hara looked as fast and fit as i ever seen him but his atitude on the field I have a problem with. He gives so much only to ruin by petty yelllow cards(brainless). He gives the ref an opportunity to send him off. O hara needs to look at himself before blaming refs. He needs to work on the mental side of his game and become a bit cuter. In Roscommon in thesummer S O Neill will punch and dragging him off the ball. Will let us down then?? Yes refs are atrocious but o hara needs to control his reactions.

Well T Taylor was dropped so kinda backs me up. The suprising thing for me about yer opinions which I respect is how different you see some players to me.

Anyways on a positive note how good is our squad this yr. Its brilliant. And sweeney and kivelhan stepping up. Good times ahead and nobody has a clue who half our team are, so we will be underdogs all year long which suits me fine.

Anyword on doohan, mcnamara and martyn injuries???????????/

Owenmoresider

Regarding Taylor the younger, I can't see him making the desired impact, has had two seasons already and has never really impressed. A South Sligoman myself FYI Sligonian (the handle should show that), and from talking to some of the Harps crew, they tend to be in agreement. That aside, plenty of competition in the panel, good win given the circumstances but Meath Sunday week is a big test, win and we could do well. O'Hara would want to cool it, even though as Seanie stated elsewhere, the refs are pricks.