Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ludermor on June 13, 2008, 06:09:59 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 13, 2008, 02:18:05 PM
[wow :o cant really add anything to that. Send a few of friends a PM or 2 and get them to explain it to you. Maybe your a wum either....

Nope im not a WUM at all. I just thought it was funny that you went to such lenghts to say league was no indicator of a teams form but then used the league as an indicator of a players form. But you  backtracked clarified your position (without previously doing so) so i thank you for that.

This isnt an unusual occurance on here. People trying to twist your words to make themselves feel like theyve caught you out or make themselves think there right. Keep living in that fantasy world, alot of guys do. Ive explained myself once above and that is enough ::). I wont go over it again as I cant make it any clearer. I havent backtracked, we will be alot better on june22nd than any league game. There i said again ;D.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

From SLIGOGAA.IE

Tickets for the Connacht Senior Championship Semi-Final in McHale Park on Sunday June 22nd will be available to collect for all clubs in Markevicz Park on this Tuesday evening June 17th at 9pm.Tickets are sold subject to them being paid for there and then by the clubs. Clubs must bring along a signed cheque to cover their purchases. Club members are asked to contact their local club from Wednesday for tickets.
Tickets will also go on sale at the usual outlets from Wednesday Morning, Kents Sligo, Cliffords,Sligo   Toolans Ballisadare,  Killorans, Tubbercurry

The TG4 Connacht Senior Ladies Championship Semi Final between Galway and Sligo  on Sunday 22 June will act as the curtain raiser to the Mens Senior Championship Semi-Final Sligo v Mayo in Mc Hale Park Castlebar.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 13, 2008, 07:37:23 PM
[wow :o cant really add anything to that. Send a few of friends a PM or 2 and get them to explain it to you. Maybe your a wum either....

Nope im not a WUM at all. I just thought it was funny that you went to such lenghts to say league was no indicator of a teams form but then used the league as an indicator of a players form. But you  backtracked clarified your position (without previously doing so) so i thank you for that.

This isnt an unusual occurance on here. People trying to twist your words to make themselves feel like theyve caught you out or make themselves think there right. Keep living in that fantasy world, alot of guys do. Ive explained myself once above and that is enough ::). I wont go over it again as I cant make it any clearer. I havent backtracked, we will be alot better on june22nd than any league game. There i said again ;D.

You seem fairly confident about that alright. We'll see on the day how it goes. Any chance that there might not be an improvement from the league?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Yeah, I would expect ye to be better than the league. Fact is if fellas don t lift it for Champ then whats the point. I expect our lads to do the same. Most of our fellas prefer the top of the ground too even though we managed ok against big teams in March and April. Truth be told all genuine County players play better in summer. Ye will be better and if our preparations have been decent so will we. If we re not ....

mayo51

going back to the oneill and maughan saga ,the problem occured after the all ireland replay of 96.there were 6  mayo players suspended for there part in the all ireland final row and mayo were to play laois in the 2ind round of the league the following sunday.maughan asked knockmore to release there players for that one game as their club game was not scheduled for 2 weeks after.knockmore refused and maughan was left scrambling to pick a team as there were  also a few injuries at the time  .   mayo lost by a point and   barely survived relegation.also it is not true to say that maughan never picked oneil again as he brought him on after half time in the all ireland semi v offaly and he was going to be a definate starter in the final v kerry but unfortunatly he broke his leg in training and was not the same player for awhile after.he played for holmes in 2000 but made no impression and did not reappear in the green and red again     until 2006.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 13, 2008, 10:40:44 PM

You seem fairly confident about that alright. We'll see on the day how it goes. Any chance that there might not be an improvement from the league?

Yes I am confident about that. No there is no chance of there being no improvement. At the end of the day brehonys alot stronger and egans back, plus the fact that team selection during the nfl was atrocious and now at last hes getting it right. So we are giving ourselves the best possible chance. Put it this way apart from the refereeing performance we can have NO EXCUSES if we lose. Even on last yr we never selected our best available team IMO. Last yr we had only one gameplan, play off kelly, now we have loads more pace and options in the forward line. My main worry is midfield but I wont go into that.

Id agree with moysider to a point, take galway even this yr they had very good league but IMO were atrocious against ros. That first half was galway 6-4 up against a team in disarray. So therefore like 07 galway went backwards from good league form. I expect leitrim to cause a shock tomorrow, crazy to others but i just dont rate galway. Look at donegal last yr they backwards after nfl. Mayo not sure if we will see much improvement. If we based our confidence on NFL i would be conceding now but I know we be very strong sunday week, like as explained above majority of our team would prefer summer conditions but 2 or 3 others it doesnt matter and there game is suited to all yr round. So when I say sligo will play better I mean the majority of our players.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayo51 on June 13, 2008, 11:39:21 PM
going back to the oneill and maughan saga ,the problem occured after the all ireland replay of 96.there were 6  mayo players suspended for there part in the all ireland final row and mayo were to play laois in the 2ind round of the league the following sunday.maughan asked knockmore to release there players for that one game as their club game was not scheduled for 2 weeks after.knockmore refused and maughan was left scrambling to pick a team as there were  also a few injuries at the time  .   mayo lost by a point and   barely survived relegation.also it is not true to say that maughan never picked oneil again as he brought him on after half time in the all ireland semi v offaly and he was going to be a definate starter in the final v kerry but unfortunatly he broke his leg in training and was not the same player for awhile after.he played for holmes in 2000 but made no impression and did not reappear in the green and red again     until 2006.
Thanks, mayo51, for jogging my memory. Maybe it's as good a way as any to while away the time until next Sunday week.
O'Neill definitely carried some injury into the '95 Connacht Final. I remember the Western reporting before the game that Mayo folk were worried with two former greats "striving to re-kindle old glories." That referred to Dempsey and O'Neill. O'Neill did tend to be injury prone.
When Maughan took over after the '95 defeat, O'Neill was ignored up to the '96 final when he came on as a sub. He was totally dropped for the replay and Tom Reilly replaced him.
Now, I remember being at a club game in Summer '96, I think Knockmore were playing Charlestown.
Whatever the opposition, O'Neill was brilliant that day and scored 0-5. Throughout that championship season there was plenty of speculation as to why O'Neill wasn't getting a first team place. It was being put down to bad relations between Maughan and the Knockmore manager. I think this fellow is named Clarke.
Peter Butler and Kevin Staunton were also said to be hard done by that year. Butler was warming up towards the end of the replay but Tom Reilly got sent on instead.
So, of all the clubs in Mayo, Maughan couldn't have approached a worse one than Knockmore if he was looking for a hand out for the game against Laois!
O'Neill did say, somewhere along the line, that the respective managers should sort matters out and that it was unfair on players to be asked to choose. That's what makes me think it was something between Clarke and Maughan that led to Maughan snubbing Kevin O'Neill.
Maughan did put him on as a sub against Offaly in the semi the following year and by all accounts O'Neill had a good game but, as mayo51 says, he suffered a bad leg break before the final and was off the scene from then on under Maughan.
Maughan said in 2006 that he had nothing personal against the man and would have used him certainly if he had been showing the form of a decade later; Knockmore people said, and probably always will, that along with Butler and Kevin Staunton, O'Neill was overlooked by the b***ix of a manager.
As for me, after an interval of 12 years I am a bit hazy on some details, but I did see O'Neill in action in '96 and he was in flying form then. Tom Reilly would never strike fear into any defenders, except possibly his own team.
He had been an honest to goodness grafter but had spent years on the periphery of things, without ever threatening to nail down a first choice spot permanently and , besides, he was well up the years.
I think, for Maughan, it was a case of anyone bar O'Neill.
Farrandeelin, any thoughts??? :D :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

the Deel Rover

In fairness the club were right not to let him play i think any club not just Knockmore would do the same thing we certainly would anyway and its probably only in 2002 when Maughan was managing cross that he probably realised this. Its definitely a pity that we didn't see more of Mc D and o' Neill playing together for Mayo >:(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

QuoteKnockmore people said, and probably always will, that along with Butler and Kevin Staunton, O'Neill was overlooked by the b***ix of a manager

That's true. Maughan was never liked in Knockmore by anyone after that and when Mayo played Sligo in one game in Maughan's second spell as manager, there were people who wouldnt go to Mayo games when he was managing. I think it was in 03 as these people were all at the AIF in 04. :D
I agree with Deel Rover for once! When myself and my dad talk football, we inevitably get angry about O'Neill and McD not being in the panel together, but sure what can you do? :-\

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 14, 2008, 07:02:59 PM
QuoteKnockmore people said..... the b***ix of a manager

....Maughan was never liked in Knockmore by anyone after that..... in Maughan's second spell as manager, there were people who wouldnt go to Mayo games when he was managing.

And I thought it was only Ros people who didnt like the ******* :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the Deel Rover

Ah jesus farrendelin i thought we agreed on most things
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: mayo51 on June 13, 2008, 11:39:21 PM
going back to the oneill and maughan saga ,the problem occured after the all ireland replay of 96.there were 6  mayo players suspended for there part in the all ireland final row and mayo were to play laois in the 2ind round of the league the following sunday.maughan asked knockmore to release there players for that one game as their club game was not scheduled for 2 weeks after.knockmore refused and maughan was left scrambling to pick a team as there were  also a few injuries at the time  .   mayo lost by a point and   barely survived relegation.also it is not true to say that maughan never picked oneil again as he brought him on after half time in the all ireland semi v offaly and he was going to be a definate starter in the final v kerry but unfortunatly he broke his leg in training and was not the same player for awhile after.he played for holmes in 2000 but made no impression and did not reappear in the green and red again     until 2006.

Only part of the story there, the problem came in 1993, Mayo were playing Fermanagh in the league and all Knockmore players were released to play, Dempsey got injured in that game and two weeks later Eire Og came down from Carlow to "play a match on the side of a mountain" as they put, Declan Sweeney, 16 at the time, replaced Dempsey at mid-field and we lost by a point. 4 years later when the league came around Knockmore were asked to release players and quiet rightly said no, a row broke out between club and county, players been told that if they didn't play in the league there would be no championship and no-one from the club was allowed to go to mayo matches, or in my case mayo trials.
That year we beat the same Eire Og by 20 points.

What reall irked the Knockmore lads was that 2 years later when Maughan was still county manager and Ballina were going to the AIF they weren't asked to play for county, now we've always had a siege mentality in Knockmore but sometimes you have to think its more than just paranoia.

As for Peter Butler, IMHO the best Knockmore player ever to pull on a jersey and in 2006 the best back, including James Nallen, in the county. Another man who broke his leg at a time when he was captain of the county team, he would have captained a team that won a provinsional title with only Knockmore men scoring in the 1993 final in Roscommon.

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2008, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 14, 2008, 07:02:59 PM
QuoteKnockmore people said..... the b***ix of a manager

....Maughan was never liked in Knockmore by anyone after that..... in Maughan's second spell as manager, there were people who wouldnt go to Mayo games when he was managing.

And I thought it was only Ros people who didnt like the ******* :D

Haha, maybe it's the saffron/primrose and blue jersey people that dislike Maughan! :D

SLIGONIAN

This time next week i'll hopefully celerating. ;)....

Anyhow getting excited already. Anyword on throw in time and the ref????

highorlow

QuoteThis time next week i'll hopefully celerating

SLIGONIAN, do you mean accelerating back to Sligo after the defeat?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go