Fermanagh County Board

Started by bud, June 26, 2008, 01:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bud

Red this in yesterdays Irish News...

- As a result of the Fermanagh reaching the Ulster final, the Fermanagh CCC has agreed to postpone a number of the proposed rounds of the senior football league to enable the team to prepare for the final. This Friday night's round of senior football leagues will go ahead as scheduled but no further rounds of the SFL will take place until after the Ulster Final.

The Erne Cup will go ahead as scheduled with the exception of games involving Coa and allowances will be made for Maguiresbridge during the Fermanagh hurlers' involvement in the Nicky Rackard Cup. To ensure that club players in Fermanagh are provided with competitive football competitions, the CCC has created a new competition to be played over the next month. It is hoped to confirm a sponsor for the competition shortly. The details of the new competition are as follows:

1. No county players are allowed to play

2. No cancellations

3. Three sections, with six teams in each section.

4. Top team in each section will go into a draw, one team will go straight into the final and the remaining two will take part in a semi-final.

5. The dates for the games are Friday, July 4, Sunday, July 6, Friday, July 11, Sunday, July 13, Friday, July 18; Semi-final: Sunday, July 27; Final: Friday, August 1.

6. The fixtures will be confirmed at the weekend, the clubs in each section are detailed below.

Section A: Kinawley, Belcoo, Coa, Derrygonnelly, Lisnaskea, Tempo

Section B: Aughadrumsee, Roslea, Newtownbutler, Brookeboro, Derrylin, St Patrick's

Section C: Teemore, Erne Gaels, Enniskillen, Devenish, St Joseph's, Irvinestown

What you think of this?
I believe its a decent idea as the club footballers don't suffer!

T Fearon

Easy enough to do in Fermanagh, where there are only about a dozen or so clubs (feck sake the place is 40% protestant and 40% water ;D), so there would be no massive rescheduling or backlogs involved

Zapatista

Sure it's a good idea as this is there first final in 26 years but I think they will only get away with it for so long.

Rick O Shea

I was gonna pose the question on the fermanagh thread, about how club fixtures would be affected by reaching the ulster final, before i saw that article.

Certainly in Derry this would not happen!  Win or lose (tho not draw) there was a round of club fixtures on monday night past.  And the next round of the championship runs from Monday 30th June til Sunday 6th July.  That would have been it until the ulster final i think.

There probably wouldn't have been any other club action, not even district competitions because clubs virtually point-blank refuse to play without their county players.

Looks like 'screen will have to do without Ciaran McElroy then if this is the case?

screenexile

thebandit

How come he plays up there anyway?

screenexile

Married to a Screen woman and got his first teaching post in Belfast so I think it was a natural enough call for him to make saying as it's half way between the two (or somewhere close to it). Oh and the fact that we have a lot of potential to be realised very shortly ;)

gaagaa

derry used to have the bishops cup but it died away
i think this is real forward thinking be fermanagh to keep the club players happy
good luck to them