36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: StPatsAbu on December 19, 2020, 08:13:11 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 19, 2020, 08:08:06 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 19, 2020, 07:22:48 PM
What happened Durcan?

Did he carry an injury into the game as he was very quiet in the first half. He was absolutely crucial.

Also, how did Coldrick miss the Fitzsimons one on Keegan?

McGeary got the line against Galway in a league game this year for a challenge that was nowhere near as bad or late as that and the ref didn't even blow a free for it.
If there was VAR for such incidents Fitzy could have seen red for that

But there isn't, and that's the game, he took a calculated risk and got away with it

Dublin get away with that stuff at HQ. Other teams don't and that plus money is the gilf. That's why they have 6 in a row.

+1
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: sid waddell on December 19, 2020, 08:02:40 PM
Mayo needed every little thing to go right and predictably this didn't happen

Goal at the start
Goal at a key stage of the first half 20/25 minutes in
Durcan going off
Ruane dropping a shot short
O'Connor hitting a silly wide from a free

Mayo need every player they have, that means Durcan, Jason Doherty, Brendan Harrison, Eoin O'Donoghue, Fionn McDonagh

Some of their younger players lacked a bit in terms of conditioning or the occasion got them to varying degrees - Conroy, McLaughlin - Mullin and O'Donghue swam in the deep water

But some of their older players now lack a bit in terms of conditioning on the downslope - O'Shea, Keegan, McLoughlin

In truth it's a Mayo team in transition and they've done very well this year

Dublin are regressing - that team is not a patch on 2017 and the younger players bar Howard and Con are not that gifted at all

James McCarthy is still the main man

But it might be Kerry or maybe a resurgent Galway under PJ who beat them

Mayo will come again around 2024, they always do come again

Sure who's to say they won't even come again in seven months' time

I'm not really sure Dublin are indeed regressing. The way they blew apart Meath and Cavan was frightening. They lost one of the best wing-backs who has ever played the game this season in Jack McCaffrey, and Robbie McDaid just slotted in seamlessly.

Do you think any of the U20 footballers from today will make the step up next year? Archer is a fantastic individual talent but I think he needs to improve his decision making and know when to give the pass in order for him to earn a place in this Dublin machine.

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2020, 07:57:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 19, 2020, 07:32:23 PM
Ill watch the all ireland every year like I always do. Let's no get over dramatic lads. The fact is this Mayo team is at the start of a downward slope id' say. Its hard to find a place in your team for players like aidan o shea and they you've o connor and keegan likely to step away. There's no sign of dublin slowing down. So other counties need to do improve.

Dublin have a pool.of maybe 150 all Ireland standard footballers. Sid would know.

Mayo have less than 15
Improvement won't change the imbalance.
The imbalance is the cancer at the heart of the all Ireland.
There is not a chance that Dublin have 150 AI standard footballers.Ffs

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2020, 06:50:26 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 19, 2020, 06:49:21 PM
Durcan was a massive loss for Mayo

Once Dublin went four up that was it

It was a very dull sort of victory though, they didn't even play well

Mayo never once genuinely threatened a goal

Loftus had a half chance in the first half but didn't go for it

McLaughlin might have had a chance in the second half when running through but he dropped the ball

You didn't enjoy that Sid?

No satisfaction? ;)
It's a bit like how Celtic supporters or Juventus supporters must feel consistently winning their leagues

The whole thing was a bit depressing really at least from the 55 minute mark onwards, but that was also the case at the hurling final last week

The game definitely needs Dublin beaten soon, for all our sakes

In a way having All-Ireland finals now just brings home the the tedium and crushing depression of the whole situation in the country and the world at the moment

The All-Ireland is about the day, about people, about excitement, the last five years I've been living in Galway, it's about getting out of bed at half 5 in the morning when it's dark and getting the 6:45 or 7:45 am bus and seeing the sun rise over the midlands and every mile nearer you get to Dublin the excitement grows, you can feel it

It's about getting off the bus and sitting reading the Sunday sports pages in Trinity college, then the walk up, people with ticket signs, pre-match pints in the Auld Triangle or Meagher's, the sweatbox atmosphere, the band, the noise, feeling alive

It's about meeting up with relatives after, pints in Graingers or Gaffney's or Cleary's or Kavanagh's on the Malahide Road, then the Gravediggers, then who knows where

This year it's about looking out at the mid-winter rain, listening to players shouting at each other, and logging onto the internet with nowhere to go afterwards

I'd love to be in Cleary's in Amiens Street now supping plain as the September dusk falls outside

The last day of the summer doesn't feel quite the same when it's the 19th of December

Farrandeelin

Tonight is about Dublin*. Congrats to them on another win. I knew this was coming so I'm not as down and out as I have been with previous losses. I'm just sick of not being on the victorious side in All Ireland finals.

* Not the blame game yet for me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: sid waddell on December 19, 2020, 08:26:16 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2020, 06:50:26 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 19, 2020, 06:49:21 PM
Durcan was a massive loss for Mayo

Once Dublin went four up that was it

It was a very dull sort of victory though, they didn't even play well

Mayo never once genuinely threatened a goal

Loftus had a half chance in the first half but didn't go for it

McLaughlin might have had a chance in the second half when running through but he dropped the ball

You didn't enjoy that Sid?

No satisfaction? ;)
The game definitely needs Dublin beaten soon, for all our sakes

Once the free Hyundai cars and privileged funding gets revoked the Dubs will soon find their level again

Hound

What a super performance by Oisin Mullen in the first half!
Frankly, I had barely noticed him this year, but in the biggest game of his short career to date, he stood 10 foot tall.

Super second half performances from Fenton, Kilkenny and Howard. And overall deserved man of the match award for Con, who is just magic. 

Mayo will have to regret some poor decision making in the last 10 minutes, but moreso the conservative approach in the 10 minutes after half time. Dublin have a history of going for the jugular in the third quarter. Mayo should have had the objective of turning that on its head, but instead they were content to get the final quarter with the game still in the balance.

Absolutely delighted for Dessie and the boys.

Commiserations to Farr, Lar, Larry and Cunny. I compare your lads to Jimmy White. Tremendous heart, ability and great entertainers. There's just a machine out there who can match all your good aspects and make less mistakes. I know you are as proud of your lads as I am of my lads.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on December 19, 2020, 08:34:17 PM
Frankly, I had barely noticed him this year, but in the biggest game of his short career to date, he stood 10 foot tall.

Super second half performances from Fenton, Kilkenny and Howard. And overall deserved man of the match award for Con, who is just magic. 

Mayo will have to regret some poor decision making in the last 10 minutes, but moreso the conservative approach in the 10 minutes after half time. Dublin have a history of going for the jugular in the third quarter. Mayo should have had the objective of turning that on its head, but instead they were content to get the final quarter with the game still in the balance.

Commiserations to Farr, Lar, Larry and Cunny. I compare your lads to Jimmy White. Tremendous heart, ability and great entertainers. There's just a machine out there who can match all your good aspects and make less mistakes. I know you are as proud of your lads as I am of my lads.

Oisín Mullin had a very good debut championship. If there is All Stars he should win 1.  I thought Scully was Dublins stand out player tonight but the more high profile players always seem to win the MOTM awards for Dublin.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 19, 2020, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Hound on December 19, 2020, 08:34:17 PM

Oisín Mullin had a very good debut championship. If there is All Stars he should win 1.  I thought Scully was Dublins stand out player tonight but the more high profile players always seem to win the MOTM awards for Dublin.
Scully is a player that gets polar opposite views. He's probably not as talented as some lads on the bench, but has extremely high football intelligence, in that his ability to find space and be available is second to none. He played a part in both Dublin goals and hit a beauty of a point himself. But also make a few mistakes and has periods where he's not really in the game.

But I think you are right, today he probably was a contender for Dublin's best player and should be in the All Star discussion.

I'd be astonished if Mullin doesn't get an All Star. Someone else mentioned Davy Byrne having a very good game and I'd love to see him get an all star too. Them two and Fitz for the full back line.

SouthDublinBro

I don't think Aidan O'Shea has improved as a footballer in any way over the past 8 years.

Angelo

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 19, 2020, 09:03:21 PM
I don't think Aidan O'Shea has improved as a footballer in any way over the past 8 years.

He's a carthorse.

Now he can be effective but he has extremely limited footballing ability.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on December 19, 2020, 08:18:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 19, 2020, 07:57:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 19, 2020, 07:32:23 PM
Ill watch the all ireland every year like I always do. Let's no get over dramatic lads. The fact is this Mayo team is at the start of a downward slope id' say. Its hard to find a place in your team for players like aidan o shea and they you've o connor and keegan likely to step away. There's no sign of dublin slowing down. So other counties need to do improve.

Dublin have a pool.of maybe 150 all Ireland standard footballers. Sid would know.

Mayo have less than 15
Improvement won't change the imbalance.
The imbalance is the cancer at the heart of the all Ireland.
There is not a chance that Dublin have 150 AI standard footballers.Ffs

Dublin population is approx 10x Mayo's

We need to know more about the Dublin system.
Mayo like everyone else  struggle to replace retiring or weakening players. The Dublin machine does not.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on December 19, 2020, 09:03:21 PM

He was decent first half and caught a bit of ball around the middle. When he moved into full-forward though he was largely ineffective as Dublin made sure to keep a few bodies near him.

Maybe James Horan should switch O'Shea back to the full-back position like Rochford! It was hilarious to watch him and Donaghy mark each other.

Angelo

When was the last time you saw a Dublin player hit an absolutely unbelievable score under big pressure?

I'm thinking probably 2014 against Donegal when Flynn and Connolly hit some outstanding scores from play under big pressure.

But since then everything is about keeping the ball, being patient and using their superior conditioning to grind teams down and create easy scores.

I honestly don't think in terms of footballing ability there is too much between Mayo and Dublin, it's mainly the physicality level.

Coen and Carr took some very snatchy chances late on, Dublin never take those chances on. There was a hint of desparation to Mayo at that point as they weren't making any inroads. In truth Mayo were gassed at that point, the legs had gone as most teams who face Dublin find out in those last 20 minutes.

Dublin have all that money and perks that other counties don't have, that's how they are able to get that extra 20% in terms of conditioning, I have no doubt at all that it is because Dublin do train harder than the other counties. The other counties would love to be able to train as hard as Dublin and would be willing to do so but real life says that is not possible. How many of that Mayo team are generally based in Dublin, how many of them have actual proper jobs to go, with big commutes to get to training and back. Dublin's corporate power allows their players to solely dedicate themselves to football.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

skeog

Bookies delighted that O Connor didnt take that last point 5 was the handicap lol.