12 (10.7%)
5-10 pts
38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Angelo

Dublin: Stephen Cluxton; David Byrne, Jonny Cooper, Michael Fitzsimons; Jack McCaffrey, James McCarthy, John Small; Brian Fenton (1-01), Michael Darragh Macauley; Niall Scully (0-01), Con O'Callaghan (2-00), Brian Howard (0-01); Paul Mannion (0-05), Dean Rock (0-06, 6f), Ciarán Kilkenny.

Subs: Cian O'Sullivan for MacAuley 49 mins; Eoin Murchan for Small 62 mins; Cormac Costello for Mannion 65 mins; Philly McMahon for Cooper 68 mins; Diarmuid Connolly for for Scully 70 mins;Paddy Andrews for O'Callaghan 70 mins.

Mayo: Rob Hennelly; Chris Barrett, Brendan Harrison, Stephen Coen (0-01); Lee Keegan (1-00), Colm Boyle (0-01), Patrick Durcan (0-02); Aidan O'Shea Séamus O'Shea (0-01); Fionn McDonagh, Donal Vaughan, Matthew Ruane; Cillian O'Connor (0-03, 2f), Diarmuid O'Connor, James Carr (0-01).

Subs: Keith Higgins for Vaughan 28 mins; Kevin McLoughlin for McDonagh 49 mins; Andy Moran for Carr 52 mins; Eoin O'Donoghue for Boyle 57 mins; Tom Parsons for Séamus O'Shea 60 mins; Fergal Boland (0-01, 1f) for Diarmuid O'Connor 68 mins.

The bolded players look like the starters.

I think it's fair to say both teams are probably a little below last year? Dublin have lost McCaffrey and phased a number of the old guard out.

Mayo seem to have gone into full transition, are they stronger or weaker? I really don't know, a lot of their players are on the wane and while the likes of Mullin, Conroy and McLaughlin have been very impressive and added a real freshness it's hard to guage. They could rightly to with the likes of Harrison and Doherty there if they were fit. Also worth noting last year that Diarmuid O'Connor and Ruane came in from the cold after long term injuries so should be much more in form this time around.

Dublin gave Mayo their first trimming last year in all the times they met in that decade and my gut tells me it could be similar tomorrw. I'll go with Dublin between 6-10 points.

Dublin play a very patient game where they like to move the ball about until they have a banker scoring opportunity, they don't take risky shots on. Mayo in contrast play a frenetic, blitzreig game which has unsettled the Dublin tempo in the past. I just think this Mayo side, with a lot of young and inexperienced players there might not have the physicality to enact that this time around.

Is it Coldrick in the middle tomorrow? I think letting it flow will suit Mayo.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sid waddell

The Arctic Monkeys do Mayo

This is excellent

The power pop-punk tune on a GAA theme we've always waited for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukg3xv9r4Ko&feature=emb_title

seafoid

I posted this on the 2019 all ireland final thread last year. Nothing has changed. It will probably be valid next year as well.

You can't run a sports competition when one team wins way in advance and the administrators don't care.

"The sight of a once vicious rivalry surviving on life support is the GAA's primetime product on the third weekend of June in 2019.
So finishes the decade with the Leinster football championship in ruin as any sense of competitiveness is lost. An era that begun with Meath thumping Dublin to the tune of 5-9 to 0-13 in this very fixture concludes with no provincial rivalry to speak about."

"Dublin are a long, long way in front of anyone else," said Colm O'Rourke.
"And maybe the gap is getting bigger all the time. There's no semblance of Dublin being sated by their success so far. It looks as if they want to win, win, win.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/dublin-already-odds-six-row-18920594

I don't think Dublin all Ireland wins are valid any more, in fact. Because they get advantages nobody else does.
Why not take the tournament out of the hands of the GAA and put some decent sports administrators in control ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheGreatest

Il sign off for the weekend gents, best of luck to sound reasonable ungrudging Mayo Folk on here. If its not us, I'm glad its you.

Up the Dubs.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 18, 2020, 01:42:22 PM
Il sign off for the weekend gents, best of luck to sound reasonable ungrudging Mayo Folk on here. If its not us, I'm glad its you.

Up the Dubs.

Good man yourself!

Really hoping for this to be a tight affair, a sin bin or two may help a team (Mayo mainly) so discipline in the tackle is paramount. Underfoot conditions will play a part.

Mayo need two goals to win this, can't score them too early mind you, before half time and straight after the final water break.

May the best team on the day win!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lar Naparka

If I were a Dub, I'd be hummin' the Rare oul' Times right now.

But I'm from Mayo, God help us and while my thoughts won't be Sean Dempsey's, I will be sharing his sentiments.

Gaelic football for me was an all-inclusive game where postemen and pilots could play side by side and maybe with a few farm labourers and fishermen on their team as well.
Today you'd need to be either a full time student or employed in a few select professions almost without exception, to find the time to train and play for an average club team.

Yet, we cod ourselves that it's still an amateur sport as pure and unsullied as envisaged by the bewhiskered gentlemen in Hayes' Hotel back in , well, the rare oul' times.

I remember a Connacht final, maybe 25 years ago, when Mayo played Galway in Tuam, (I think.)
Galway won but the most outstanding player on show was Vincent Nally, Mayo's chb.
At the end, several Galway lads came up to him to shake his hand or pat him on the shoulder but, as soon as he got the chance, he turned around and bolted for the dressing rooms.
With my agricultural train of thought, I imagined he was just bursting for a pee and thought no more of it but, as he later explained, his only thought was to get back home to harvest his wheat before the rain started to fall.
He spent more time watching the clouds darken overhead than he did on watching the state of play going in around him!
I don't think the likes of Vincent Nally would get on a sub's bench in Leitrim, never mind Mayo in the present times and Gaelic football is the poorer for the passing of innocence.
Play for the love of the game?...Me arse!

It's biff, bite, boot and bollack all the way to win by all means, legal and  illegal, nowadays. The proverbial last straw for me was the advent of gps harnesses.
This is an amateur sport for God's sake!
Money talks in GAA land today and anyone who says otherwise needs to be psychoanalysed  - most intercounty teams have enough of these to do the needful.
I did a google for the GAA's development to the various counties  but one of the links I got back was equally interesting. This one purported to give the scale of sponsorship money each county brought in last year.
Naturally, Dublin led the way by a country mile but guess who came second and third?
Mayo came second, followed by Kerry. (It's irrelevant here to mention that Mayo, and most likely Kerry, have to look to emigrants around the world to get the vast majority of what they take in.)
Now, is it pure coincidence that the three most high profile counties in the land are the most successful at attracting sponsorship money?
Nah, players may be amateurs and I assume most are, but Professionalism overhangs every other aspect of the once innocent game, once played for the love of the game and the pride of the parish. (etc, etc,)
I will always follow Mayo as it's bred in my DNA but my interest in the once beautiful game stops at that.
If I should meet Sean Dempsey in the equivalent of Croke Park in the sky, I'll shake his hand and buy him a pint.

Finally, Hup Mayo! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

joemamas

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 18, 2020, 05:01:27 PM

But I'm from Mayo, God help us and while my thoughts won't be Sean Dempsey's, I will be sharing his sentiments.

Gaelic football for me was an all-inclusive game where postemen and pilots could play side by side and maybe with a few farm labourers and fishermen on their team as well.
Today you'd need to be either a full time student or employed in a few select professions almost without exception, to find the time to train and play for an average club team.

Yet, we cod ourselves that it's still an amateur sport as pure and unsullied as envisaged by the bewhiskered gentlemen in Hayes' Hotel back in , well, the rare oul' times.

I remember a Connacht final, maybe 25 years ago, when Mayo played Galway in Tuam, (I think.)
Galway won but the most outstanding player on show was Vincent Nally, Mayo's chb.

At the end, several Galway lads came up to him to shake his hand or pat him on the shoulder but, as soon as he got the chance, he turned around and bolted for the dressing rooms.
With my agricultural train of thought, I imagined he was just bursting for a pee and thought no more of it but, as he later explained, his only thought was to get back home to harvest his wheat before the rain started to fall.
He spent more time watching the clouds darken overhead than he did on watching the state of play going in around him!
I don't think the likes of Vincent Nally would get on a sub's bench in Leitrim, never mind Mayo in the present times and Gaelic football is the poorer for the passing of innocence.

It's biff, bite, boot and bollack all the way to win by all means, legal and  illegal, nowadays. The proverbial last straw for me was the advent of gps harnesses.
Money talks in GAA land today and anyone who says otherwise needs to be psychoanalysed  - most intercounty teams have enough of these to do the needful.
I did a google for the GAA's development to the various counties  but one of the links I got back was equally interesting. This one purported to give the scale of sponsorship money each county brought in last year.
Naturally, Dublin led the way by a country mile but guess who came second and third?
Mayo came second, followed by Kerry. (It's irrelevant here to mention that Mayo, and most likely Kerry, have to look to emigrants around the world to get the vast majority of what they take in.)
Now, is it pure coincidence that the three most high profile counties in the land are the most successful at attracting sponsorship money?
Nah, players may be amateurs and I assume most are, but Professionalism overhangs every other aspect of the once innocent game, once played for the love of the game and the pride of the parish. (etc, etc,)
I will always follow Mayo as it's bred in my DNA but my interest in the once beautiful game stops at that.
If I should meet Sean Dempsey in the equivalent of Croke Park in the sky, I'll shake his hand and buy him a pint.

Finally, Hup Mayo! ;D

Lar,

You are only off by 25 years LOL

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: joemamas on December 18, 2020, 05:05:52 PM

Finally, Hup Mayo! ;D

Lar,

You are only off by 25 years LOL
Bejaysus, you're right.
I think I might have mixed him up with Willie but even he was more than 25 years ago.
Ah, well, you lose some, you win some.  :-X
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

whitey

Finally, Hup Mayo! ;D

Remember the time it was written in the Connaught Final program that Jimmy Burke was injured due to throwing his back out pulling a calf

seafoid

Joanne Hayes has just been offered an apology and compensation for events that happened 35 years ago which were wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/kerry-babies-suffering-and-stress-of-ordeal-finally-behind-us-joanne-hayes-1.4440521

Mayo will probably be granted at least 1 Sam and an apology by a future Taoiseach for events happening now which are nonsense
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Seafoid remove that shite. That is ridiculous.

galwayman

The Hill is Blue

I haven't a clue who's going to win tomorrow but having watched the Dubs for sixty years I never tire of seeing them win. Dublin's success over the past ten years goes only some way in compensating for the decades of dismal underachievement.

Of course Mayo are well capable of taking Sam tomorrow. If they do I'll be gutted but I won't for a minute begrudge Mayo their victory. They would have had a long and painful wait.

COYBIB
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8