China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 03:15:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2020, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 02:11:03 PM
Likelihood is that the strain is well and truly on the island at present so it's like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

Do we stay locked down now until we have the elderly, healthcare workers and vulnerable vaccinated?

Over 65s account for over 90% of deaths. Surely after this demograph has been vaccinated we can get back to normal?

Unless you are under 65 and have underlying health conditions..

Sure as long as we all follow the guidelines like you have been doing we can just carry on for ten years until we know the big pharmaceutical companies haven't tried to put micro chips in us

Over 65s account for over 90% of deaths.

People with underlying health conditions regardless of age are on of the priority groups for vaccinations. The vulnerable people under 65 are not a huge section of the population so should not take long to get the vaccination.

Anyone who wants to get the vaccine can, I'm not telling them not to. That's your choice, I'll just make decisions regarding my own personal health.

The thing is, no one is actually following the procedures, otherwise the rate would be a lot lower so you looking after you personal health doesn't actually cut it, as its being passed on regardless it seems
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2020, 03:26:58 PM
Likelihood is that the strain is well and truly on the island at present so it's like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

Do we stay locked down now until we have the elderly, healthcare workers and vulnerable vaccinated?

Over 65s account for over 90% of deaths. Surely after this demograph has been vaccinated we can get back to normal?

Sure as long as we all follow the guidelines like you have been doing we can just carry on for ten years until we know the big pharmaceutical companies haven't tried to put micro chips in us

People with underlying health conditions regardless of age are on of the priority groups for vaccinations. The vulnerable people under 65 are not a huge section of the population so should not take long to get the vaccination.

Anyone who wants to get the vaccine can, I'm not telling them not to. That's your choice, I'll just make decisions regarding my own personal health.

The thing is, no one is actually following the procedures, otherwise the rate would be a lot lower so you looking after you personal health doesn't actually cut it, as its being passed on regardless it seems

If a person follows the precautions and looks after themselves then they should not be getting it. The people who don't run the risk so it's down to an individual level.

What we know is that outside of vulnerable groups and the elderly, the virus seems to have an extremely low fatality rate. So providing the vaccine works and once those vulnerable groups get vaccinated we should be able to gradually roll back. But it's going to be 3/4 months really before we know of the success of the vaccine in terms of stopping the spread/reducing the impact. Right now the vaccine is nothing more than a bubble of hope.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2020, 03:22:17 PM

You do not have the right to make decision about our health by continuing to spread a disease.

That's very dictatorial language. I don't have a disease. I have taken the necessary precautions to look after myself and my health since this pandemic started and will continue to do so.

So you can take your brand of fascism elsewhere, my friend.

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 04:11:59 PM

If a person follows the precautions and looks after themselves then they should not be getting it. The people who don't run the risk so it's down to an individual level.

What we know is that outside of vulnerable groups and the elderly, the virus seems to have an extremely low fatality rate. So providing the vaccine works and once those vulnerable groups get vaccinated we should be able to gradually roll back. But it's going to be 3/4 months really before we know of the success of the vaccine in terms of stopping the spread/reducing the impact. Right now the vaccine is nothing more than a bubble of hope.

Should is the key world of your 1st sentence. You can take precautions, but there's still a chance you  or anyone can pick up the virus. I'm amazed you can be so convinced you won't get it.

The vaccine will only work if people take it, but if people think like you and don't take it what do we do then?

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on December 22, 2020, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 04:11:59 PM

Should is the key world of your 1st sentence. You can take precautions, but there's still a chance you  or anyone can pick up the virus. I'm amazed you can be so convinced you won't get it.

The vaccine will only work if people take it, but if people think like you and don't take it what do we do then?

I'm not convinced but taking the necessary precautions significantly reduce the chance of contracting and spreading the virus.

Taking the vaccine would only seem to basically reduce your chances of getting sick from the virus, as far as research goes they don't seem to have much impact on actually getting the virus and passing it on.

armaghniac

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 04:25:28 PM
Taking the vaccine would only seem to basically reduce your chances of getting sick from the virus, as far as research goes they don't seem to have much impact on actually getting the virus and passing it on.

The research has not concluded at this point, but any research that does exist tends to show that virus transmission is reduced.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: trailer on December 22, 2020, 09:56:44 AM
Travel ban to NI is a tricky one. It's not about just stopping cars driving, it's flights and ferries. There will be costs involved. Who pays those costs? Because I can tell you now it won't be Stena Line or Easyjet. I understand why people see it the perfect solution. In reality it isn't. What might be more helpful is to enforce the 10 days quarantine if you return from a tier 3 or 4 area. And as they are doing, asking people not to travel.

Wtf?

First option is a lot more enforceable than the second one.

First one could be managed a lot easier - at docks and airports.  Freight is freight and is deemed essential.

Second one is totally unenforceable.

Are you a DUP supporter?

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2020, 05:25:25 PM

The research has not concluded at this point, but any research that does exist tends to show that virus transmission is reduced.

Research seems to point out that the vaccine merely stops people from getting I'll from the virus.

armaghniac

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 06:31:39 PM

Research seems to point out that the vaccine merely stops people from getting I'll from the virus.

In order to get a vaccine approved, you have to show that people get less ill. So the initial research concentrates on that point. The medical people believe that the vaccine almost certainly does reduce transmission, but they haven't signed off of this yet. So unless you have research that I haven't seen then it does show that the vaccine "merely" stop people from getting the virus.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trileacman

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 06:31:39 PM

Which research was that?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Farrandeelin

970 cases with 13 deaths in the 26 today. Halfarsed lockdown after Christmas.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 22, 2020, 07:41:13 PM
970 cases with 13 deaths in the 26 today. Halfarsed lockdown after Christmas.

Questions need to be asked with the way these numbers are getting reported now.

Close to 300 of that 970 cases wasn't from positive swabs in the last 24 hours. No deaths yesterday and 13 today?

The 7-day average is 641 it was double that when the government decided to go into level 5 on October 21st. Now they are too concerned by the chaos that Boris created.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Seaney

Quote from: Franko on December 22, 2020, 09:55:07 AM
Quote from: Seaney on December 22, 2020, 09:41:12 AM
Whereas the lockdown open up lockdown has worked amazingly!

Good point Seaney

You semi-literate fool

Ohhh in a chat room I don't use proper punctuation, dry them kid.

tyroneman

Unfortunately had to go into 2 shops today.

Both times staff out working on the shop floor with masks hanging round their necks and no attempt at social distancing.

If retail can't even get their house in order with their own staff.   

thewobbler

Can someone who has got a better handle on the figures for the UK talk me through something? Picked up on this on Twitter but the debate around it is childish and frustrating.

Apparently there were 36,000 positive cases in the UK yesterday, and 32,000 the previous day, and 5 figures each of the previous days, am I right to assume that there is no double counting in place, and that >75,000 UK citizens have tested positive this week?

Which means that more than 1 in 1,000 UK citizens have tested positive this week?

If so, roughly how many tests have been administered to produce this number of positives?