Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: downjim on December 13, 2018, 01:06:14 PM
Any changes at convention??
Motion passed to prohibit Burren taking players from other South Down Clubs from birth onwards.

Smurfy123

Accounts are in a better place. Fair play to all involved. Not much talking points last night. Some big clubs back training already I see. Rostrevor leading the way

oakleafgael

Quote from: johnnycool on December 12, 2018, 01:15:37 PM
Quote from: rory on December 12, 2018, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 27, 2018, 10:24:09 AM
I'm hearing we're moving to U13/U15/U17 in 2020, anyone else hear that as well?

Would this not have to be a motion for the County Convention?  No mention of it in the motions published

Not sure TBH, was just told that by a lad on the County committee.

There won't be any choice with this most likely. It's going before Congress next year as a motion and will be a done deal. U19 down to U13

johnnycool

Quote from: oakleafgael on December 14, 2018, 11:43:58 AM

Would this not have to be a motion for the County Convention?  No mention of it in the motions published

There won't be any choice with this most likely. It's going before Congress next year as a motion and will be a done deal. U19 down to U13

Well that would be the right way to do it rather than letting counties decide in isolation.

We've teams in the Antrim leagues who operate different age groups already, so we play for instance Primary 6 in Down and U10 in Antrim, no biggie as it's go games but then we may have an U13 team in Antrim and an U14 team in Down, then you have the complexities of inter county club competitions like Feile and Ulster Minor club hurling championships where one county will be playing out U19 and another U18.

This has been handled very badly by Croke Park from the get go with little thought for exams in the North which happen from 15-16 yrs old for GCSE and the 17-18 for A levels so there's little gain in moving to the odd years due to exams.

JimmyFloydMay123

The St Paul's tournament in Belfast seems to be heating up a bit, final four Letterkenney, Bellaghy, Ballyholland and Crossmaglen.

thewobbler

Quote from: johnnycool on December 17, 2018, 10:33:01 AM

Well that would be the right way to do it rather than letting counties decide in isolation.

We've teams in the Antrim leagues who operate different age groups already, so we play for instance Primary 6 in Down and U10 in Antrim, no biggie as it's go games but then we may have an U13 team in Antrim and an U14 team in Down, then you have the complexities of inter county club competitions like Feile and Ulster Minor club hurling championships where one county will be playing out U19 and another U18.

This has been handled very badly by Croke Park from the get go with little thought for exams in the North which happen from 15-16 yrs old for GCSE and the 17-18 for A levels so there's little gain in moving to the odd years due to exams.

I'm not sure Croke Park could have played it much different. Such a change is always going to involve a transition period, and from what I can gather they've allowed clubs and county boards across the country a couple of years to let the concept bed in, rather than force a clean break.

Exams are a moot issue imho. Fellas are now sitting GCSEs and A-Levels from 4th year through to upper 6th, so May is always going to pose problems, regardless of football/hurling age grades.

Personally I'm in favour of u17, as it creates a clean break between adult and juvenile sport. I think I mentioned it on here before, but last year Liatroim had a handful of players involved simultaneously in minor and intermediate hurling and football championship semi finals. Trying to implement a "fair" fixture list through September when that's happening, just isn't possible. It's the definition of player burnout.

Conversely I'd be against the u19 grade, as it would only replace the problem that removing u18 is meant to fix, and magnify it somewhat by virtue of most clubs relying on lads travelling back from University in April, May and June to play matches or train.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on December 17, 2018, 08:09:09 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 17, 2018, 10:33:01 AM

I'm not sure Croke Park could have played it much different. Such a change is always going to involve a transition period, and from what I can gather they've allowed clubs and county boards across the country a couple of years to let the concept bed in, rather than force a clean break.

Exams are a moot issue imho. Fellas are now sitting GCSEs and A-Levels from 4th year through to upper 6th, so May is always going to pose problems, regardless of football/hurling age grades.

Personally I'm in favour of u17, as it creates a clean break between adult and juvenile sport. I think I mentioned it on here before, but last year Liatroim had a handful of players involved simultaneously in minor and intermediate hurling and football championship semi finals. Trying to implement a "fair" fixture list through September when that's happening, just isn't possible. It's the definition of player burnout.

Conversely I'd be against the u19 grade, as it would only replace the problem that removing u18 is meant to fix, and magnify it somewhat by virtue of most clubs relying on lads travelling back from University in April, May and June to play matches or train.

I entirely agree with you on the U17 grade as I believe there in merit in that as it can run along side adult competitions with no cross over like we see with U18 at the moment. U19 isn't needed unless to replace U21 as a one off round robin competition.

I'm not against these changes, I just think they're a bit piecemeal and with us also playing in Antrim (who may be going odd in 2019) and going to various blitzes in Tyrone, Derry and so forth, you could be going with an U12 team one day and an U11 or U13 the next.

Smurfy123

Some big chances on the McKenna cup squad. I've counted 16 newcomers in a 26man squad. No Burren players along with Mooney Harrison and a few other big names. 5 Kilcoo players.

elk

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 19, 2018, 05:41:38 PM
Some big chances on the McKenna cup squad. I've counted 16 newcomers in a 26man squad. No Burren players along with Mooney Harrison and a few other big names. 5 Kilcoo players.
Many Point lads on it?

Ed Hardy

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 19, 2018, 05:41:38 PM

Where did you see the squad named?

Smurfy123

Ed Hardy

Smurfy123

New lads in
Devlin Kilcoo
Kane Kilcoo
J Johnstone Kilcoo
McCarthy Saval ???
Havern saval
McClement Loughinisland
Mason Loughinisland