Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 01, 2020, 09:29:35 PM
We don't say yerra, we say arra.  ;)

I just can't see us winning next week's game. A lot would need to go right for us and team selection will be key. Apart from Cillian O'Connor today nobody really stood out against Leitrim. My motm today. True the conditions didn't do any favours for anyone. I'm really worried about our middle third of the field. Mattie Ruane seems to drift in and out of games. Loftus isn't a dominant midfielder in my opinion. The number 6 position is a mystery. Three different players in the last three games. Plunkett is the most natural however. The Keegan corner back experiment must be going to continue. He's played there for the past three games and I'm not ok with it. Coen seems to fit Horan's full back approach but he's too slow for my liking. Cox or whoever could cause havoc if they're quick.

I could be wrong, but maybe Horan was treating the Leitrim game as an 'extra' league game, if you get me. But selection is going to be crucial next week, as are the use of subs if things go awkward early on. Add in the extra week rest and recovery, Roscommon are in a very good place ahead of next week.

Ah come on! No offence meant Farran but this is rubbish!

larryin89

I know a lot will say it's the aul Beal bocht but I've never heard as many supporters have such little confidence heading into a championship game v Ros , i just can't see how we can compete around the middle at present . And the defensive system Horan has is very old fashioned man marking which in turn leaves a massive problem when said defenders like to burst up the pitch a lot .

Could not bring myself to back Roscommon but there is some value in that 15/8 in a three horse race .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: weareros on November 01, 2020, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 01, 2020, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 01, 2020, 09:29:35 PM
We don't say yerra, we say arra.  ;)
100% and this is not widely enough known outside of Connacht.

I thought ye said "Musha" in Galway.
Don't think they are mutually exclusive weareros!!

Rossfan

Arrah musha will ye shtop.

Hard to know how next Sunday will go.
Mayowestros have a Championship game under their belt which is a big plus but how much good will playing in the swamp in Carrick do them when they run out on the super pitch in the Hyde?
Anthony has virtually a full deck to choose from so we should see our strongest 15/26 for the first time since about 2016.
Big question is will Horan go back to the oul dogs or will he let his new lads out to sink or swim on what is a free hit for them?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

My grandmother of achill island shtock used to say arrragh was the devils mother , whatever that was all about I don't know .

Yes the most interesting aspect to the build up to this game is guessing horans match day panel , he got fairly irate when asked by the press why he named Brickenden to start and then didn't . Hope I'm wrong but gave me the impression he was under pressure . Think he left the press waiting half hour after the game too.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 01, 2020, 10:15:32 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 01, 2020, 08:12:55 PM
The Hyde has the best surface of the county grounds in Connacht.
Which doesn't say a lot for any of the grounds in Connacht. Given the weather we've been having for the last few weeks and given the forecast for the coming week, the Hyde will be no better than Pairc Sean was today. Also, next Sunday will be Mayo's fourth game on the trot on heavy underfoot pitches and will have to be leg weary. Ross will have the benefit of a free weekend.
Janey Mac, I'm getting worried already!

Roscommon have hardly had ideal preparation for this game, We hadn't the manager or half the squad at training for the last two weeks.

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 02, 2020, 02:59:01 PM
Big question is will Horan go back to the oul dogs or will he let his new lads out to sink or swim on what is a free hit for them?

I'd be pretty sure he won't go back to the old guard for his starting 15 anyway although they may be called on late in the game

MF is probably where we're weakest, Ruane plus AN Other, if it was me I'd start DOC there and bring AOS out to CHF to help with that problem

larryin89

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 02, 2020, 04:35:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 02, 2020, 02:59:01 PM

I'd be pretty sure he won't go back to the old guard for his starting 15 anyway although they may be called on late in the game

MF is probably where we're weakest, Ruane plus AN Other, if it was me I'd start DOC there and bring AOS out to CHF to help with that problem

Depends on what he's doing , personally I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see boyler and Vaughan involved on Sunday .

giveballaghback

David Gough ref for Sunday so no funny stuff or dramatic diving.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: giveballaghback on November 02, 2020, 06:39:20 PM
There are a few lads there that know how to simulate a free alright and throw in a nasty dig or knee

larryin89

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 02, 2020, 07:34:34 PM
There are a few lads there that know how to simulate a free alright and throw in a nasty dig or knee

Name and shame these dastardly folk .

MayoBuck

At least Gough will give some protection to Aidan inside.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on November 02, 2020, 08:22:25 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 02, 2020, 07:34:34 PM

Name and shame these dastardly folk .
Arra musha, ye can name them alright but what good would that do? Them Rossies have no shame whatever. Sure they'd be only doin' what comes natural to them.  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go