The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 13, 2014, 12:42:05 PM
He won 1.91 points per PL match at Tottenham, the highest average of all Spurs managers in PL era.

Madness. Is he just not 'fashionable' enough?

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on May 13, 2014, 12:51:24 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 13, 2014, 12:42:05 PM
He won 1.91 points per PL match at Tottenham, the highest average of all Spurs managers in PL era.

Madness. Is he just not 'fashionable' enough?

Its Tottenham, its what their supporters demand.

thewobbler

It's not madness at all. PPG is not a marker, as it's dependent on the quality of the league around you, and finishing 6th is not an accomplishment.

Spurs assembled a squad that should comfortably finish in the top 6 without a manager. Their second XI would finish comfortably mid-table.

He continued with AVB's high line when the players weren't there to play it, talked about 4-4-2 but always sent out inverted wingers, talked about a lack of passion and versatility, yet sent Holtby out on loan. Made a song and dance about youth, when in fact all he did was play Bentaleb out of position, while relegating Townsend to a bit part role.

As such, all Sherwood really has done since coming onboard is annoy fans and alienate players with his bizarre selection policies.  And what Moyesy has proven, more than anything, this year is that if the players don't want you, then there's only one way out.

rodney trotter

It was strange enough sending Holtby on loan for sure. He brought Adebayor back into the team who was frozen out of the side under AVB, and he was a revelation in the final few months of the season.  I thought they should have kept hold of Defoe too, frozen out as well and moved to Canada playing for Toronto.

He had a bit of a attidude and a lot didn't like him, but  his win ratio was good. Probaly ineviable that he was going to be shown the door at the end of the season, as Levy was always going to look for a bigger name in the summer, De Boer probaly will get it.

Under Lights

Would like to see Rafa get this project.

Anyone for Moyes?

thewobbler

Don't see either being in the running. If Spurs just wanted to stay exactly where they are, Moyes would be the man for the job. He doesn't have the personality or man management skills to make big time charlies play to their ability. Benitez is obviously a proven trophy winner, but with the stadium extension in the pipeline, Levy probably can't alienate Spurs supporters by appointing a chessboard manager.

So Spurs will probably do what they always do, and appoint someone who looks right but isn't right. De Boer is made for the job!

deiseach

I think Spurs fans should be able to expect better than a manager who claimed that his remit was not to finish in the top four but to "try to score a few more goals". Absolute nonsense, and if he had said that was his target at the time he'd have never gotten the job.

On the other hand, if this discussion board is to be believed Spurs fans want someone who is much better than Brendan Rodgers. As you were.

Edit: h/t to Football365 for highlighting how Tiger Tim revised his target downwards as the season progressed.

Quote"If the season was to end tomorrow the chairman wouldn't be too happy because we're fifth. The final league position has to meet the expectations of the club otherwise it's 'Goodbye Charlie'. The club need to finish in fourth place. Anything other than that is going to be a disappointment" - Tim Sherwood, January 19.

Sherwood was quite chipper when he made that admission - his Tottenham side were level on points with fourth-placed Liverpool, having won five of his first six Premier League games. He was The Timinator (thanks to The Sun) and he was proving that all that bumph about false 9s and midfield pivots quivered in fear at the feet of simply 'wanting it more'. When fourth place was a distinct possibility, Sherwood was happy to admit that he would pay with his job if he failed in his remit.

Three months later - with Tottenham crucially now seven points off fourth-placed Arsenal - Sherwood was backtracking, saying: "It was never the brief when I came into the club that we had to finish in fourth place. What was said to me was 'can we make the team a little bit more attractive and score more goals?' and I think I've ticked that box."

Carmen Stateside

Tony must have forgotten his password! What a club Spurs are!  ;D ;D

T Fearon

Spurs are a club who recognise failure and react quickly,unlike certain other trophyless clubs who congratulate themselves on a brilliant season in spite of throwing away a league title that was theirs for the taking.

Harry Redknapp's reign gave a hint of the potential at White Hart Lane ( ie a club that challenges seriously and consistently for a Champions League place). Sadly Sherwood was never going to be a long term option (though would be a decent option for the likes of WBA) and I suspect he knew he wouldn't last beyond the end of the season from the day he took over from AVB

laoislad

Quote from: T Fearon on May 13, 2014, 10:55:56 PM
Spurs are a club who recognise failure and react quickly

They've plenty of experience in failure to be fair so they should know a thing or two about it at this stage in fairness.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

With one trophy in 15 years it's a policy that seems to be working well

T Fearon

You have to admire them for reacting and trying,and not deluding themselves that people sacked by Reading are the right long term answer.

How much more successful would Spurs have been if they could have held on to the likes of Modric and Bale,and in previous years,Berbatov and Sheringham?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: T Fearon on May 13, 2014, 11:03:36 PM
You have to admire them for reacting and trying,and not deluding themselves that people sacked by Reading are the right long term answer.

How much more successful would Spurs have been if they could have held on to the likes of Modric and Bale,and in previous years,Berbatov and Sheringham?

If they weren't the small time club they are maybe those players would have stayed.

T Fearon

Wait and see if horse teeth is with Liverpool in August.When Real Madrid come calling with big money not even Man Ure can turn it down.

In the meantime I wouldn't let the likes of Rodgers near the Spurs job

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: T Fearon on May 13, 2014, 11:22:17 PM
Wait and see if horse teeth is with Liverpool in August.When Real Madrid come calling with big money not even Man Ure can turn it down.

In the meantime I wouldn't let the likes of Rodgers near the Spurs job

When anyone calls Spurs with big money they never turn it down.  :)