Kildare v Tyrone & Dubs v Kerry NFL Round 1 on Sat 4th Feb 2012

Started by Fuzzman, January 04, 2012, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I see the powers that be have solved my dilemma of should I go to the Dubs v Kerry match or drive west to Newbridge for the first time since Canavan and Cush won their first U21 title back in 1991.

I was surprised that Kildare were willing to give up their home advantage for this game or where they not even asked?

From my memory Tyrone tend to win most of their 1st round NFL games in Croker although have we only played there 2 or 3 times?
I can't help but remember meeting the Dubs back in 2004 in the NFL 1st round in Parnell park where we got a great guard of honour cheer & then a nice "friendly" welcome to the real world of what life will be like when you're the new AI champions. To me that was the start of the Dublin v Tyrone nasty games with round 2 being the battle of Omagh in 2006
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/battle-of-omagh-how-the-tyronedublin-saga-unfolded-113380.html

Anyways, things have changed a lot since with the Dubs finally winning an All-Ireland by the skin of their teeth and Tyrone going backwards for the past few years.
I can see Kildare winning this one handy enough if they are anywhere near their full complement but maybe like us they'll be out to blood a few new guys and not be too bothered about gaining promotion.

In the other game will we see all the Dubs and Dublin based Kerry fans come in late from the pubs on a cold Sat night to annoy their already seated Leinster and Ulster friends.
I can see it being a near full house, especially if its not another one of those wet winter nights.
We could even see another streaker like the 1st floodlight match in croker but it won't be me this time.  :D

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Canalman

Almost sure I heard that Kildare are having safety issues about Newbridge and anyway probably as easy for alot of Kildare fans to make it to CP, certainly those taking public transport from Celbridge, Maynooth or Leixlip/Confey etc.
Looking forward to it from our viewpoint and feel that Kerry will win it and that there could be sendings off at it. No doubt Kerry will really try to avoid a 4th defeat on the trot ( forgive me a cyber chuckle). Personally think our win in 2011 had its roots in the victory in Killarney in 2010.

Will be in early to see both games............. would like to see Kildare get some breaks in 2012 to be honest. Really impressed with in particular the way they handled the 2010 semi final defeat and other harrowing decisions that didn't go their way.

Donnellys Hollow

The match was scheduled for this date before the venue was made public but the lack of a suitable floodlit ground in the county probably necessitated the move to Croke Park. Athy has floodlights but wouldn't accomodate a big crowd - would also be tough on travelling supporters to bring them right down to the bottom of the county. Capacity at Newbridge has been cut to 4,000 and with the CB in the red it's probably the right move financially.

Would prefer if the match was in Newbridge from a convenience point of view but it is probably beneficial for the team to have it in Dublin. The tight pitch at Newbridge doesn't suit Kildare's style of football and it will be good experience for the likes of Moolick, Feely, Dowling, Fogarty and Hurley if they get a run out in Croke Park before the summer. 
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Quote from: Canalman on January 04, 2012, 01:03:34 PM
Almost sure I heard that Kildare are having safety issues about Newbridge and anyway probably as easy for alot of Kildare fans to make it to CP, certainly those taking public transport from Celbridge, Maynooth or Leixlip/Confey etc.
Looking forward to it from our viewpoint and feel that Kerry will win it and that there could be sendings off at it. No doubt Kerry will really try to avoid a 4th defeat on the trot ( forgive me a cyber chuckle). Personally think our win in 2011 had its roots in the victory in Killarney in 2010.

Will be in early to see both games............. would like to see Kildare get some breaks in 2012 to be honest. Really impressed with in particular the way they handled the 2010 semi final defeat and other harrowing decisions that didn't go their way.

Don't spoil the result for the rest of us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Wouldnt imagine it will be a full house.........................................40,000 id say or thereabouts, handful of flours, likewise reds, 10 kerry folk, dubs will make up the numbers as usual

Kerry & Kildare wins ..........................hope mcgeeney has the hair cut by then

Aaron Boone

Attendance will depend on the marketing.
If they put an ad or three on tv, then it'll add 10,000 'will-I, won't I's' to the gate.
Leinster aren't playing that weekend either.

Rossfan

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on January 04, 2012, 08:23:21 PM
Wouldnt imagine it will be a full house.........................................40,000 id say or thereabouts, handful of flours, likewise reds, 10 kerry folk, dubs will make up the numbers as usual

Kerry & Kildare wins ..........................hope mcgeeney has the hair cut by then

How long are you following football? They always bring a good crowd.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on January 04, 2012, 08:23:21 PM

Ah now, there'll be more than 10 of us...50 at least!

Geezer was down our way over the new year..I can confirm..the hair is well trimmed again!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Jinxy

They should easily get 50,000 for this.
If they go all out they could get a full house.
But they won't,
"Sure everyone knows what time the games are on anyway."  ::)

Fuzzman

I'd say you'll see a lot of red handers too as they're always out in droves for the first game of the season and with a night out in Dublin an attraction for many then I'd expect quite a few.
To get another look at Dublin and Kerry would appeal to a lot of neutrals too I'd say so unless it's a brutal night I'd expect 60K+

I wonder will the Dubs open up a bit will or will pack the defence again.

Anyone make a stab at what you Tyronites could make the starting team.
Should the 2 McMahons be fit again. Usually they miss out a lot of matches at the start of each year from my memory.

Will Peter Harte be our free taker again this year?
Will McKenna get a few more chances?
Where is Sean and Colm's best places and don't say the Moy?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

heffo

Quote from: ONeill on January 11, 2012, 02:36:10 PM
Have the throw-in times been publicised yet?

No. John Costello meeting Croke Park mgt this week to confirm.

Jinxy

Will Brush Shiels be performing?
He'd get the crowd going.