Six County Census Results 2021

Started by Snapchap, September 21, 2022, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 22, 2022, 08:58:15 PM
Quote from: Substandard on September 22, 2022, 08:33:45 PM
When will the next census take place?  I'd imagine how the protocol plays out, and how Brexit evolves would determine where middle ground might lean.
There would need to be modelling of different possible outcomes in the event of a referendum, because while I'd be naturally drawn to the idea of a United Ireland,  there would be so many things about implementing it that wouldn't even register with me, that would have obvious significance for either community or tradition in the 6 counties.

Will there even be another census? They're an old, slow, and expensive way of collecting information that the government already has in most instances.

The next decade should see big improvements in the way that data is managed and shared between various administrative sources. That will allow for faster, finer analyses of relevant information. This big round up every decade stuff is very 1800s.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 22, 2022, 11:51:12 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 22, 2022, 08:58:15 PM
Quote from: Substandard on September 22, 2022, 08:33:45 PM
When will the next census take place?  I'd imagine how the protocol plays out, and how Brexit evolves would determine where middle ground might lean.
There would need to be modelling of different possible outcomes in the event of a referendum, because while I'd be naturally drawn to the idea of a United Ireland,  there would be so many things about implementing it that wouldn't even register with me, that would have obvious significance for either community or tradition in the 6 counties.

Will there even be another census? They're an old, slow, and expensive way of collecting information that the government already has in most instances.

The next decade should see big improvements in the way that data is managed and shared between various administrative sources. That will allow for faster, finer analyses of relevant information. This big round up every decade stuff is very 1800s.

Some other countries do this. But when do you ask the question about national identity? When you apply for a driving licence?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

To remove the census they'd need to be working in the replacement process already and I suspect there are too many vested interests in keeping the status quo in terms of the data collection.

I believe the next election will be very very telling, that is if Stormont gets up and running again. If the most recent election results are honoured or if there's a re-run in the next few months and they are honoured I suspect it will be a tumultuous time for M O'N as first minister but I think she will hold her own. The next election in the north and south will have a larger core of young voters, the current 15-18 year olds, many of whom will vote SF more so than other parties. I can see this having a big impact, particularly in the South. If you have SF with a majority, or at least a significant vote share on both sides of the border for a few elections on a row then there is a clear mandate. A huge stat from yesterday were the children starting school, 50% catholic, 31% Protestant, 19% other. They are voters by 2035/36. It's happening and it will speed up exponentially over the next decade and there is nothing anyone can do to stop the changing demographic. God Bless the Catholic Church and their approach to contraception is all I'll say!

naka

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on September 22, 2022, 02:33:27 PM
catholic/nationalist/identifying as Irish does not equal voting yes for reunification

the status quo is the only game in town for the vast majority of the north  :-[
Brexit put paid to that , people are seeing the shit show thst the uk has become .
Nhs is broken / today the right wing torrid will destroy the universal credit .
Momentum is building and a poll will be here within the next 15 years

imtommygunn

If there's another election I reckon the DUP would come out on top this time  :(

Itchy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2022, 08:37:30 AM
To remove the census they'd need to be working in the replacement process already and I suspect there are too many vested interests in keeping the status quo in terms of the data collection.

I believe the next election will be very very telling, that is if Stormont gets up and running again. If the most recent election results are honoured or if there's a re-run in the next few months and they are honoured I suspect it will be a tumultuous time for M O'N as first minister but I think she will hold her own. The next election in the north and south will have a larger core of young voters, the current 15-18 year olds, many of whom will vote SF more so than other parties. I can see this having a big impact, particularly in the South. If you have SF with a majority, or at least a significant vote share on both sides of the border for a few elections on a row then there is a clear mandate. A huge stat from yesterday were the children starting school, 50% catholic, 31% Protestant, 19% other. They are voters by 2035/36. It's happening and it will speed up exponentially over the next decade and there is nothing anyone can do to stop the changing demographic. God Bless the Catholic Church and their approach to contraception is all I'll say!

This is the reality and if unionists had a brain in their heads theyd be cutting a deal now when they have some strength, not negotiate from a position of total weakness in 10 years time

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Itchy on September 23, 2022, 08:59:47 AM

This is the reality and if unionists had a brain in their heads theyd be cutting a deal now when they have some strength, not negotiate from a position of total weakness in 10 years time

I remember as a kid in the eighties John Hume telling Paisley to negotiate from a position of strength and got laughed out of the studio. How times have changed.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Itchy on September 23, 2022, 08:59:47 AM

Unionism  doesn't  have the  brains. Their strategy is appoint a head honcho, shout "never!" , "not an inch!", wave their flag, before  they are replaced  , and the new leader   repeats the same mantra.  While the world and  demographics  change around them , their record  player is  stuck on "never!"

They are all  fearful of going down in  history as the leader  who lost NI  .

seafoid

First time since the early 1600s that the Catholics have had a majority. It's interesting that an O'Neill is heading the biggest party.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on September 23, 2022, 12:25:09 PM
First time since the early 1600s that the Catholics have had a majority. It's interesting that an O'Neill is heading the biggest party.

And one from Tyrone....reversal of the flight ....

Orior

Quote from: seafoid on September 23, 2022, 12:25:09 PM

Hope you're not predicting another flight of the earls.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

1607 to 2022 nicely bookends British power. Ni uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

A huge stat from yesterday were the children starting school, 50% catholic, 31% Protestant, 19% other. They are voters by 2035/36. It's happening and it will speed up exponentially over the next decade and there is nothing anyone can do to stop the changing demographic. God Bless the Catholic Church and their approach to contraception is all I'll say!

Where did you see that, I couldn't find any religion/age breakdown information?

ONeill

A sizeable percentage of Catholics who don't see themselves as Irish was another big take from this, or prefer Northern Irish to Irish.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ONeill on September 23, 2022, 10:04:55 PM
A sizeable percentage of Catholics who don't see themselves as Irish was another big take from this, or prefer Northern Irish to Irish.

Them and the brit passport crew who only changed to beat the queue. We are miles off winning a referendum