Six County Census Results 2021

Started by Snapchap, September 21, 2022, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Every post the guy makes is antagonistic bullshit about northerners. Not even worth reading.

Orior

Quote from: general_lee on September 22, 2022, 10:53:33 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 22, 2022, 10:51:05 AM
Quote from: general_lee on September 22, 2022, 10:47:31 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 22, 2022, 10:13:41 AM
Quote from: Pub Bore on September 22, 2022, 10:12:15 AM
Passports

British Only - 47% (-10.0%)
Irish Only - 27% (+8%)
Brit & Irish - 5% (+2%)

Big indicator of how many wishy washy catholics we have here
I'd have thought a wishy washy Catholic as someone who claims to be religious but doesn't actually  pray or go to mass.

Id never trust any catholic with a bristish passport to get us over the line-  it appears there might be quite a few out there
Funny, two people I work with from n.Belfast, both would share your brand of republicanism and both have Brit passports... maybe you're onto something!

They have never played gaelic or hurling, they are brought up on a diet of soccer and they when they talk about Liverpool or Arsenal they say "we". They read the Belfast Telegraph. They don't know what the Angelus is. They want to please the british. They think everyone from the country are bumpkins. Well, as a bumpkin, that's my experience anyway.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Orior on September 22, 2022, 06:45:00 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 22, 2022, 10:53:33 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 22, 2022, 10:51:05 AM
Quote from: general_lee on September 22, 2022, 10:47:31 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 22, 2022, 10:13:41 AM
Quote from: Pub Bore on September 22, 2022, 10:12:15 AM
Passports

British Only - 47% (-10.0%)
Irish Only - 27% (+8%)
Brit & Irish - 5% (+2%)

Big indicator of how many wishy washy catholics we have here
I'd have thought a wishy washy Catholic as someone who claims to be religious but doesn't actually  pray or go to mass.

Id never trust any catholic with a bristish passport to get us over the line-  it appears there might be quite a few out there
Funny, two people I work with from n.Belfast, both would share your brand of republicanism and both have Brit passports... maybe you're onto something!

They have never played gaelic or hurling, they are brought up on a diet of soccer and they when they talk about Liverpool or Arsenal they say "we". They read the Belfast Telegraph. They don't know what the Angelus is. They want to please the british. They think everyone from the country are bumpkins. Well, as a bumpkin, that's my experience anyway.

Jesus they drive me mad. Especially the "we" bit. Usually size side of house too and wouldn't know if ball was blew up or stuffed.Earphones on

dec

It will be interesting to see the breakdown of religion by age which has not been released for this census yet. In the last one, the oldest age groups were about 2/3 Protestant and the youngest age groups were majority Catholic. Last time age 36 and below there were more Catholic, 37 and above more Protestants

Dougal Maguire

Too many people getting bogged down on the Catholic v Protestant percentage. I think the significant figure is that only one third of the population identify as British. Id say many declaring as Northern Irish are on a journey and if push came to shove world be more likely to go the way of a UI than remain in the UK
Careful now

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 22, 2022, 06:53:40 PM
Too many people getting bogged down on the Catholic v Protestant percentage. I think the significant figure is that only one third of the population identify as British. Id say many declaring as Northern Irish are on a journey and if push came to shove world be more likely to go the way of a UI than remain in the UK

You could easily flip that and it wouldn't look good for us. Conjecture

seafoid

Asking who is Celtic and who is Rangers would have been more statistically accurate.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

weareros

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 22, 2022, 06:56:03 PM

You could easily flip that and it wouldn't look good for us. Conjecture

Would say that bit that will give Unionists solace is:

British + British/NI Only = 40%
Irish + Irish/NI Only = 31%

Then you have 20% who are Northern Ireland Only (who did not take the option of Irish & NI Only). That would indicate a demographic who are happy with NI as its own thing and identity, the Rory types. That said, I believe more Catholics make up that grouping than Protestants, so it's also a grouping that could more heavily skew UI in a border poll when push comes to shove.

imtommygunn

Referendums etc are not going to be a short term thing. That census for me is a massive shift. I also believe people in the middle will be shifted by the dup and a lot will have been this past year I would think. The dup have been doing wonders here and it doesn't look like they will change any time soon.

seafoid

Long term the Protestants will in a clear minority.  Emigration is really doing serious damage. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

pbat

Anyone know when they plan to release breakdown across age sectors?

Substandard

When will the next census take place?  I'd imagine how the protocol plays out, and how Brexit evolves would determine where middle ground might lean.
There would need to be modelling of different possible outcomes in the event of a referendum, because while I'd be naturally drawn to the idea of a United Ireland,  there would be so many things about implementing it that wouldn't even register with me, that would have obvious significance for either community or tradition in the 6 counties.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2022, 07:41:58 PM
Referendums etc are not going to be a short term thing. That census for me is a massive shift. I also believe people in the middle will be shifted by the dup and a lot will have been this past year I would think. The dup have been doing wonders here and it doesn't look like they will change any time soon.

I think at the time of the census last year the Protocol was seen to be in place and that the issues would be sorted out. A year and a half later it is clear that London has no intention of sorting them out and middle people are probably now more pissed off as a result.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: Substandard on September 22, 2022, 08:33:45 PM
When will the next census take place?  I'd imagine how the protocol plays out, and how Brexit evolves would determine where middle ground might lean.
There would need to be modelling of different possible outcomes in the event of a referendum, because while I'd be naturally drawn to the idea of a United Ireland,  there would be so many things about implementing it that wouldn't even register with me, that would have obvious significance for either community or tradition in the 6 counties.

balladmaker

The way things are trending, and probably faster than many predicted, the 2031 census will be the final act that results in a border poll soon to follow thereafter.  The next decade should be one of significant planning for what is likely to be an inevitable outcome - reunification of the island.  With that timescale a real possibility, and any vote for unification taking several years to implement following the vote, 2035/36 is what I'd be betting on for the border to be gone ... I live in the hope of seeing that day arrive!