Author Topic: building a house  (Read 38981 times)

stiff breeze

• View Profile
Re: building a house
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2022, 08:37:02 PM »
Cheers lads. Should have said its a new build so digging up the garden is no hassle as there is no garden yet. Thing holding me back was the cost of the tank itself.

Are heat pumps a viable option yet?

Air source heat pumps in conjunction with solar panels and plenty of insulation and air tightness is a viable option

93-DY-SAM

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2022, 07:09:20 AM »
Cheers lads. Should have said its a new build so digging up the garden is no hassle as there is no garden yet. Thing holding me back was the cost of the tank itself.

Are heat pumps a viable option yet?

Air source heat pumps in conjunction with solar panels and plenty of insulation and air tightness is a viable option

The problem with heat pumps (and likewise with electric cars) is the capacity is not there on the grid to deal with all of this. There is a big push for these things but the infrastructure is far from ready and there isnít much sign of it being upgraded to meet the demand of every house having an electric car/heat pump.

I was talking to a building contractor recently and he said NIE near shite themselves when they apply for new electricity supply to developments incase there are heat pumps and electric charging points in the houses.

If you do go with a heat pump, insulation and air tightness are absolutely key. Youíd be better to spend your money there than fancy designs etc as they are much more difficult and expensive to retro fit down the line.

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2022, 09:13:25 AM »
With the change in the building regulations any new homes July this year are going to need either PV panels or air/ground source heat pumps to pass.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2022, 11:06:56 AM »
With the change in the building regulations any new homes July this year are going to need either PV panels or air/ground source heat pumps to pass.

Is that in the North Hereiam?

Was there a change recently in the south where you have to put in electric heating systems? Not sure if I picked it up wrong from a southern friend. But he was saying all new houses werenít allowed oil/ gas/ solid fuel systems? (Iím in the north)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2022, 12:55:17 PM »

Is that in the North Hereiam?

Was there a change recently in the south where you have to put in electric heating systems? Not sure if I picked it up wrong from a southern friend. But he was saying all new houses werenít allowed oil/ gas/ solid fuel systems? (Iím in the north)

Yea this is in the North

blewuporstuffed

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2022, 01:23:19 PM »
What are anyone's experience with A2W heat pumps?
I have read such mixed views on them. I would really like to go that route but struggling to justify the extra expense v an oil burner.
What are the running costs like?
I am based in the north btw
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thebigfella

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2022, 02:44:35 PM »
I have read such mixed views on them. I would really like to go that route but struggling to justify the extra expense v an oil burner.

From where? If I listen to the oul fella i'd would have built a cave as there would be nothing to go wrong  :D

blewuporstuffed

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2022, 07:48:27 PM »

From where? If I listen to the oul fella i'd would have built a cave as there would be nothing to go wrong  :D
I have heard alot of people talk about huge electric bills with the ASHP , for me the whole point s thattheyare cheaper to run than oil. 
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »
They are very very sore on electric I've heard. The cost of electric probably negating any benefit to them. Plus the initial outlay is expensive. I'm putting oil in.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2022, 07:53:08 PM »

Sounds like my missus. Doesn't matter what car manufacturer is mentioned but she has heard from such and suchs cousin they they had bother with said brand of car therefore they must be a terrible car and aren't to be touched.

blewuporstuffed

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2022, 08:46:40 PM »

Sounds like my missus. Doesn't matter what car manufacturer is mentioned but she has heard from such and suchs cousin they they had bother with said brand of car therefore they must be a terrible car and aren't to be touched.
;D sounds familiar

knockitdown

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2022, 09:56:26 PM »
Anyone got a land mortgage to buy a site? Not looking to build just yet (given the current circumstances) but have the opportunity to buy the site we want now.

And while on the subject, a general rule of thumb would have been £90sqft for a self build (Iím led to believe to get u in). Anyone able to advise what it is today given the price rises over the last few years?

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 27, 2022, 10:50:51 PM »
Anyone got a land mortgage to buy a site? Not looking to build just yet (given the current circumstances) but have the opportunity to buy the site we want now.

And while on the subject, a general rule of thumb would have been £90sqft for a self build (Iím led to believe to get u in). Anyone able to advise what it is today given the price rises over the last few years?

I'll PM you.